The Student Room Group

Girls and football

I suppot chelsea, (they rock) and whenever i try to start a conversation with one of my male friends about it they just say yeh whatever and ignore me! Like, i do know what offside and aggregate are like i proved to one of my friends today. He supports arsenal and i support chelsea and we were chatting about the match last night. he asked me what aggregate was and i told him that because arsenal scored an away goal technically they are 2 up. ha.
Girls can like and know a lot about footie u know! anyone agree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
snowball
I suppot chelsea, (they rock) and whenever i try to start a conversation with one of my male friends about it they just say yeh whatever and ignore me! Like, i do know what offside and aggregate are like i proved to one of my friends today. He supports arsenal and i support chelsea and we were chatting about the match last night. he asked me what aggregate was and i told him that because arsenal scored an away goal technically they are 2 up. ha.

Everyone's an equal i believe, so yeah sure
Reply 2
snowball

Of course - no reason why not. Blokes just think it's something only they understand, and it's a way for them to spend more time with their mates, so when a girl tries to get involved they resent it. How would you feel if some boy wanted to come on shoe-shopping trips with you and your mates?
Reply 3
Heehee, by now, probably more than half of my year at uni know how much I love football, so to be honest, they know that I have a pretty decent footie knowledge. I love playing and watching footie. But there is sometimes this attitude, that it's surprising if a girl likes footie, and surprising if a guy doesn't like footie. I got a few remarks like, you like footie! at the begining, but now they're used to it. I have intereseting conversations with one professor and some of the students about matches and stuff.
Reply 4
Trousers
Of course - no reason why not. Blokes just think it's something only they understand, and it's a way for them to spend more time with their mates, so when a girl tries to get involved they resent it. How would you feel if some boy wanted to come on shoe-shopping trips with you and your mates?

Girls can know as much about football as guys. It's not just a guys' game. So it wouldn't matter if we wanted to talk about football, cos girls have as much right. That's a pretty sexist view that footie is a guys' game.
Reply 5
Trousers

I would be very accomodating and of course i would let them come! my boy-mates always come shoe shopping with us girls anyway! boys are so posessive over footie!
Reply 6
Xenon
Girls can know as much about football as guys. It's not just a guys' game. So it wouldn't matter if we wanted to talk about football, cos girls have as much right. That's a pretty sexist view that footie is a guys' game.

good to know there are some guys out there who arent like that seriously its like footie is a piece of meat and the boys are lions and there girls are lionesses and there is a fight over the meat! (sorry about my very convoluted metaphors!)
Reply 7
I think part of the problem is when it comes to playing football, girls tend to be terrible :smile:
Reply 8
Sure, girls can know about football but most choose not to because it's not that great really. I think it's very over-rated and there's far too much money in it! It's only a game for cryin' out loud!!!
Reply 9
Gimp
I think part of the problem is when it comes to playing football, girls tend to be terrible :smile:

How do you know? Plus, some guys can be terrible, but if you have the love of the game, it's all good.
Reply 10
Amb1
Sure, girls can know about football but most choose not to because it's not that great really. I think it's very over-rated and there's far too much money in it! It's only a game for cryin' out loud!!!

I love watching football, but I also LOVE playing it!
Reply 11
Xenon
How do you know? Plus, some guys can be terrible, but if you have the love of the game, it's all good.

How do I know? Because I've seen...? I didn't say all females were terrible. And I wasn't saying just because they aren't as good playing that they can't like it, it's just part of the reason some men think women shouldn't be talking about football!

Also, sure there are plenty of guys who are crap at it too :smile:
Reply 12
i think im a typical girl here! i only watch it so i can see the guys running round for 90minutes with shorts on! i gotta say...the premiership has some nice legs! :wink:!!!! but....saying that....i do enjoy footie and hate the way guys will talk about it and if u say ... "ooo wats that", they say "oh it dont matter, u wont get it" UGH....frickin cheek!
kokopops
i think im a typical girl here! i only watch it so i can see the guys running round for 90minutes with shorts on! i gotta say...the premiership has some nice legs! :wink:!!!! but....saying that....i do enjoy footie and hate the way guys will talk about it and if u say ... "ooo wats that", they say "oh it dont matter, u wont get it" UGH....frickin cheek!

You should watch rugby League. There is quite a high percentage of female supporters. Most go to se the 'thighs' which are well honed compared to their Union counterparts in most cases.
Aylesbury United ladies are top of their league :cool:
Reply 15
sillynarb2
Aylesbury United ladies are top of their league :cool:

Arsenal ladies are good, butin terms of league position, we were better in previous years.
Joey_Johns
You should watch rugby League. There is quite a high percentage of female supporters. Most go to se the 'thighs' which are well honed compared to their Union counterparts in most cases.

That's a very distaseful joke JJ. Council Estate!

Although I would find it funny if you added Yorkshire to the end :wink: Or just Yorkshire :tongue:
Reply 17
snowball

They can but most males know more than females (at least i think so!). The ratio for males to females knowing more than females is about 10:1 if not more...
happysunshine
That's a very distaseful joke JJ. Council Estate!

Although I would find it funny if you added Yorkshire to the end :wink: Or just Yorkshire :tongue:

I did it last night when drunk :tongue:

I'll change it to Yorkshire for you.
Joey_Johns
I did it last night when drunk :tongue:

I'll change it to Yorkshire for you.

Drunk? Tut tut. :tongue:

Ah, much better now I can laugh... :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending