Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out please. I have just received my AS levels back and got AAAA I am wanting to carry on maths but I have to chose whether to carry on with stats or do M1. I felt I struggled with the S1 exam but that may have been the teacher, and we are getting a new one next year. I am wanting to study radiography at Uni so I thought mechanics may be better to fit in with "medical physics?. However my back up plan is accountancy so statistics may be better? Which is easier to grasp as I will be using all my spare time to carry on with the four A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Sport, Maths). Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KSmith15)
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out please. I have just received my AS levels back and got AAAA I am wanting to carry on maths but I have to chose whether to carry on with stats or do M1. I felt I struggled with the S1 exam but that may have been the teacher, and we are getting a new one next year. I am wanting to study radiography at Uni so I thought mechanics may be better to fit in with "medical physics?. However my back up plan is accountancy so statistics may be better? Which is easier to grasp as I will be using all my spare time to carry on with the four A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Sport, Maths). Thank you!
    The Stats 2 module has some useful stuff

The Mech 1 not so much

ReputationRep:
    Statistics is more useful for accounting. S2 isn't much harder than S1.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly S2 is SOOO much easier than m1

grade boundaries are usually higher but seriously just do S2 it has 5 chapters lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Honestly S2 is SOOO much easier than m1

grade boundaries are usually higher but seriously just do S2 it has 5 chapters lol.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    M1 is an application of concepts learned in C1, and a knowledge of C2 will be useful as well. In my experience, S1 was more tedious, and M1 both more enjoyable and sometimes easier to grasp. If you can model and interpret worded questions well, with an A at AS, you should do Mechanics in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    M1 is a lot more logical than S1/2 IMO. For me, stats is hard to grip at first.

Also, radiography is probably more similar to quantum mechanics than the mechanics you do in M1, in other words, it will be waves and sub atomic particles, not bodies being modeled as particles, so I don't think it will be of any use.

A bit of stats is handy whatever the degree and if your backup is accountancy and fiance is probably a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    if you took physics,then M1 will be easy to grasp,also you might kick yourself for not doing in the first year as it would have made physics feel like a walk in the park

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.