Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One for all you conspiracy theorists: Area 51 revealed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Area 51 'declassified' in U-2 history

Not that U2, but the '50s era aircraft.

Nothing spooky about it, just a brand new aircraft doing things no-one had done before leading people to jump to conclusions about what they saw, even though they rarely saw it.

"While a lengthy account of the development of the U-2 spy plane programme, the history also attempts to shed light on the public's fascination with the Area 51 site and its lingering associations with extra-terrestrials and UFOs.

It notes that testing of the U-2 plane in the 1950s - at altitudes much higher than commercial aeroplanes then flew - provoked "a tremendous increase in reports of unidentified flying objects (UFOs)".

"At this time, no one believed manned flight was possible above 60,000 feet, so no one expected to see an object so high in the sky," note authors Gregory Pedlow and Donald Welzenbach."

Something tells me, though, that there'll be an annoyingly large amount - especially on here - who won't buy that...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not buying it.......well I am. I seem to remember watching a documentary about area 51 and it had a huge increase in UFO sightings in the late 80s. And then the F117 Stealth fighter was unveiled a few years later. And the same again a few years after that, and the B2 stealth Bomber was unveiled.

I'm sensing that it's just an airbase in the middle of nowhere to keep prying eyes away. We had on once called RAF Woomera. When I say we, I really mean the Australians, but the UK were based there.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAAF_Woomera_Airfield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I'm not buying it.......well I am. I seem to remember watching a documentary about area 51 and it had a huge increase in UFO sightings in the late 80s. And then the F117 Stealth fighter was unveiled a few years later. And the same again a few years after that, and the B2 stealth Bomber was unveiled.

I'm sensing that it's just an airbase in the middle of nowhere to keep prying eyes away. We had on once called RAF Woomera. When I say we, I really mean the Australians, but the UK were based there.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAAF_Woomera_Airfield
    Benbecula was also good for such things.

But yes, the fact that it was also close to the nuclear bomb test ranges also helped keep all but the 16 fingered, 5 eyed glowing types well away...

ReputationRep:
    The Area 51 stories are far too much fun to kill off. It's become part of popular culture.

What actually goes on (or, probably more significantly, went on) there is relatively unimportant. It's iconic.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of disappointing that it wasn't something more interesting, or at least something that left an element of mystery.

ReputationRep:
    What's more interesting, is how it probably took the spotlight off the place the actual alien spacecraft are stored :holmes: haha, I love conspirators. You have to admire them!

ReputationRep:
    Because America is just going to outright tell you stuff they don't want you to know about any of their facilities?

It's a big jump from revealing redundant information about an old and now out-dated spy plane, and giving up every last scrap of information on Area 51 regardless of it's sensitivity.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination but let's be honest, America has it's secrets and it's not going to tell us for a long time if it ever does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Because America is just going to outright tell you stuff they don't want you to know about any of their facilities?

It's a big jump from revealing redundant information about an old and now out-dated spy plane, and giving up every last scrap of information on Area 51 regardless of it's sensitivity.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination but let's be honest, America has it's secrets and it's not going to tell us for a long time if it ever does.
    You are right. They're not going to give away their secrets. But when you look back in time to all of the fruit loops talking about little green men at Area 51, you may see a correlation between historical UFO events and historical aircraft development and testing.

I thought I saw a UFO once. It wasn't until somebody pointed out later that it was an F15 on after burn with the lights out that I realized that my eyes had deceived me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    You are right. They're not going to give away their secrets. But when you look back in time to all of the fruit loops talking about little green men at Area 51, you may see a correlation between historical UFO events and historical aircraft development and testing.

I thought I saw a UFO once. It wasn't until somebody pointed out later that it was an F15 on after burn with the lights out that I realized that my eyes had deceived me.
    A fair point. Fruit-loops will always be fruit-loops though and wiser folk already saw the correlation between shiny lights around an air base and the development of air craft.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.