Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've been having this frustrating problem for ages now. I have quite a few friends (luckily not all) who are really spontaneous with meeting up and doing things. I am the type of person that plans her entire day in advance haha. I know when I'm working, what times I have to see people, studying times, everything important I write in my diary and I change things sometimes but I really try to stick to it. If I'm meeting someone, I need to know more than an hour in advance, but this is something my friends don't understand!

What kind of person are you, someone please tell me they agree with me haha. I feel so guilty, about 5 minutes ago a friend rang up asking if I can come over to play board games (it's like 9pm why not ring me earlier argh), but I have stuff I need to get done before tomorrow morning so declined. Its frustrating because I know its not really my fault, I'm a pretty busy person but I love my friends even though they can't seem to understand I can't just drop everything at the drop of a hat... SIMILARLY, when I try to organize plans myself for say, the next few days they respond with "I'm not sure yet, I'll let you know on the day" ARGH IS IT REALLY THAT HARD urgh haha :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to put me in one camp really I keep my calendar all colour coded and update it all the time (like, if I'm meant to get somewhere at half two and I get there at two oclock instead, I'll update it on my calendar with the new time). I love it when my friends just turn up though, it doesn't bother me, though sometimes I do have to say no to them. I actually prefer spontaneous meetings, anything that's with friends I wouldn't ever plan (despite what I said about my calendar). Like I'm completely the opposite with my friends than I am with anything else. So I'm afraid that despite the above, I prefer spontaneity to arranging things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessykins)
    Okay, I've been having this frustrating problem for ages now. I have quite a few friends (luckily not all) who are really spontaneous with meeting up and doing things. I am the type of person that plans her entire day in advance haha. I know when I'm working, what times I have to see people, studying times, everything important I write in my diary and I change things sometimes but I really try to stick to it. If I'm meeting someone, I need to know more than an hour in advance, but this is something my friends don't understand!

What kind of person are you, someone please tell me they agree with me haha. I feel so guilty, about 5 minutes ago a friend rang up asking if I can come over to play board games (it's like 9pm why not ring me earlier argh), but I have stuff I need to get done before tomorrow morning so declined. Its frustrating because I know its not really my fault, I'm a pretty busy person but I love my friends even though they can't seem to understand I can't just drop everything at the drop of a hat... SIMILARLY, when I try to organize plans myself for say, the next few days they respond with "I'm not sure yet, I'll let you know on the day" ARGH IS IT REALLY THAT HARD urgh haha :confused:
    You sound a lot like me. Although I don't actually write any of my plans down in a diary, I always have upcoming events in the back of my mind, things that I want to do or need to do, so if someone asks me if we could do something at short notice I am kind of reluctant because for eg. I planned to do this and that on my computer and then do this bit of work etc. But I think I am getting better and I'm starting to be a little bit more spontaneous.

You sound like you're kind of set in your ways, describing it to just the kind of person you are. Would you rather be more spontaneous? Surely it would make your like a bit less stressful and make it easier to go out with friends?

I think you might benefit from trying to be a bit more spontaneous. Just a bit. Maybe the next time someone asks you out, and you panic because you had plans, just take a step back, question your worries and ask yourself "is the world going to end if I go out and don't do what I had planned? or will everything probably be fine?", and then just go for it. Hopefully then you'll have a good time and afterwards you'll be glad that you didn't decline

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost 100% like you but I find the spontaneous-ness side exciting too!

I say just go with it, if you can't do it.. you can't do it! You need to fit in with them too (like adapt a little) so you can make som spontaneous choices too otherwise they may feel as if their putting too much effort in!

As you get older planning will become more apparent to them but live life when you're young

ALSO be lucky you have these seemingly lovely friends hunnie!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally like to have things planned out, kinda similar really, some of my friends are very spontaneous but I much prefer to know what I'm doing xD I can't relax if I'm expecting a call or something or not sure what's going on much prefer to know who I'm meeting and when etc.

ReputationRep:
    If it was a big day out to the seaside or to the city, I'd like a bit of planning beforehand but if we're hanging around in town, at the park, or someone's house, I wouldn't mind the spontaneity.

ReputationRep:
    Better safe than sorry. I enjoy having everything planned in detail it may seem boring but it makes a nice, structured life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UK_Menna)

As you get older planning will become more apparent to them but live life when you're young

ALSO be lucky you have these seemingly lovely friends hunnie!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I suppose, but I'm 23 and so are the majority of my friends. It's just really frustrating to me that nobody else can plan anything haha

To the planners, how do you get your pals to adjust the way they live their life to your needs? Do you just have other planner friends lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessykins)
    I suppose, but I'm 23 and so are the majority of my friends. It's just really frustrating to me that nobody else can plan anything haha

To the planners, how do you get your pals to adjust the way they live their life to your needs? Do you just have other planner friends lol
    Well then you have lovely matured friendships hahaha!

I am a planner but I learnt to just go with the flow! Work out when you can and can't do and just work around that. For example.. if you're free every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday night then when you're "spontaneously" asked to roll up at your friends house you know when you can and can't do. I know this is common sense but can you see what I'm getting at?

Maybe you could do the planning and just stick with their random suggestions - works both ways then, right?

I am really jealous of these cute group of friends you have though..I can barely get my friends to text me nowadays.. never mind have an endless supply of random invites. We all want what we don't have but appreciate what you do!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.