Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do you write? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know many of you will write many different things, stories, biographies, comics, songs, poems, etc, and that's great! What I really want to know is, why do you write what you do?
    Do you enjoy making people feel a certain emotion? Or do you simply write as an outlet? Something to simply pass the time.

Let me know why you write, and tell me the moment you really wanted to start writing!

ReputationRep:
    Because I feel like I have something to say that deserves to be read and felt; a little egotistical, but it's the truth. I've always enjoyed writing since I was a young age but it was only recently, through a period of not being able to pen anything down, that I realised I needed to write. I know it's cliche but there comes a point when, and excuse the melodrama, you cannot 'not write'. Even when I'm not actively writing it's still there ticking in the background.

ReputationRep:
    I have many ideas in my head but no one to listen to them all, so I write them down in hope that someone will read them

ReputationRep:
    I write to entertain myself mostly, especially when I'm writing raps that are way too clustered with long and hard to pronounce words
    Poems I'm much more serious about for some reason, when I have something serious in my life happening, writing it down on paper somehow helps to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    There's too many words in my head otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    Because I remember all the stories I've read, and I'd love to be able to have such a positive effect on other people.

And because if it ever turns into a career, it would be the best job ever.

ReputationRep:
    I write simply because it makes me happy, it always feels good if someone has viewed my blog, followed it etc... I guess its also a way of getting my opinion down about something without having to find someone to discuss it with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you've all replied, these are great reasons, everybody is different too which is good to see!

ReputationRep:
    I do it for myself, it begins with one scene that sparks up an entire chapter then before I know it it's a completed book- to me that's the best kind of outlet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For one thing, it would be painful to NOT express it-I'm sure all of us here agree on that! if someone said YOU CANNOT WRITE to me, I'd end up messed up. X)
    Also agree with everyone although actually writing it is solitary for one's own enjoyment, once you write it you feel like you have to share it and then discuss it with other people (unless it's super personal)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I write because I feel like it enables me an outlet yes. It's a way to be creative with ideas, fantasies (Not that kind!), my views, ideologies I have. And I can place them into a world I can craft. Everyone's mentioned briefly what they write, I've been planning and writing up pieces for a book I like writing always seems like a mystery, despite you thinking you know what you're writing about. What you start out writing is often not what you end up writing, and I love that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I write as a cathartic tool. It allows me to block out my problems and its quite a confessional exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexJWise)
    I know many of you will write many different things, stories, biographies, comics, songs, poems, etc, and that's great! What I really want to know is, why do you write what you do?
    Do you enjoy making people feel a certain emotion? Or do you simply write as an outlet? Something to simply pass the time.

Let me know why you write, and tell me the moment you really wanted to start writing!
    it would be cruel to deprive the reading community of my oeuvre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riddlemethis20)
    I write simply because it makes me happy, it always feels good if someone has viewed my blog, followed it etc... I guess its also a way of getting my opinion down about something without having to find someone to discuss it with.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy it. I'm opinionated and I have to get my ideas down

ReputationRep:
    Because I love to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivinityA)
    I write because I feel like it enables me an outlet yes. It's a way to be creative with ideas, fantasies (Not that kind!), my views, ideologies I have. And I can place them into a world I can craft. Everyone's mentioned briefly what they write, I've been planning and writing up pieces for a book I like writing always seems like a mystery, despite you thinking you know what you're writing about. What you start out writing is often not what you end up writing, and I love that.
    Hit the nail on the head!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Well I write poetry and I do if for a few reasons. Sometimes I see something or experience something that is just so awesome I think it needs to be captured with words. I sometimes write as an outlet to let out my feelings and I find writing pretty therapeutic as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexJWise)

All three. I first started writing because I got fed up of getting to the end of reading and I thought it might take longer...

After a while I was doing it as a kind of outlet? There were just some things that felt good to write about.

Then, once I realised that quite a few people were actually reading it, I really enjoyed that people were having an emotional response to some ramblings I mashed into a keyboard.

Also, I now have an obligation to publish chapters twice a week as people are expecting it.

ReputationRep:
    I write features/reviews/articles because I have to. I don't really have a choice right now.

I write scripts both because I have to and because I enjoy it. If I'm not working on a script that is being made for external purposes then I'll start another piece purely for my own entertainment / so I don't get rusty.

I write short stories/novels just for fun. I've had some work in this medium published but I got no joy or satisfaction from it, so I don't intend on doing it again. It's just a hobby for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.