Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I start a part time distance learning MSc in Sept and will be continuing to work full time with my employer. Basically I will be studying during my commute (1hr a day), some evenings and at the weekends. I appreciate this is probably a difficult question to answer, as courses will vary, but I'm trying to gauge how realistic I'm being about the demands on my time. I'd love to hear from others who have done/doing something similar. Was it doable to fit in around a full time job? Am I being realistic? Many Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying for an Msc via distance learning whilst working full time. I've completed 2 modules (60 credits) so far and it's been manageable. I'm terrible at keeping to set times to study, and often bring a couple of hours work home with me, so I tend to cram study time into some weekends and have sat up all night (at the weekend) to finish a long assignment.

If you are a very organised person, or have a job where you don't tend to bring work home, then you should be fine. Of course I have no idea which course you intend to take or which university is running it, so I can only talk from my own personal experience with the university of Leicester. Also I still have the dissertation ahead of me next year so I could be talking rubbish!

Gaining enough credits to gain a GradCert has been surprisingly easy after worrying about being able to manage the academic writing required - I hadn't any experience of academic study since completing my first degree in 2000.

Basically, if it's something you really want to do then you will manage to find the time somehow. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. There are no exams according to the info I've seen so I take it you just keep up to date with the reading and then complete the assignments as and when required? How much time do you spend on the reading in a typical week?

ReputationRep:
    The course I am doing is broken down into four 30 credit modules and a 60 credit dissertation. The 30 credit modules are spread over 16 weeks each and are assessed by 2 smaller written assignments and a longer written assignment. The 2 smaller assignments feed into the longer assignment.

For this type of structure I would say that I spend between 10 and 16 hours a week (if averaged out) on reading, planning, joining in online activities, etc. Some weeks I have hardly done any studying, if I have lots of work commitments and the assignment hand in is a way off. But then I have to catch up later by perhaps spending 4 hours a night studying during the following week.

Does your course have online activities where you can interact with other students? I have found activities on blackboard to be invaluable to gaining a clear understanding of the content of a module when it's all new at the start. At the beginning of each of the 2 modules I have completed so far I thought, 'I have no idea what this is on about!' That's when I have found it difficult to get motivated to do the reading and other work. Once I forced myself to plough through it all, and gained at least a basic understanding, I enjoyed the studying. Also I am finding that I'm spending a little less time each week completing the required reading now that I have got used to the style of writing - to begin with I often had to use the online dictionary!

I hope some of this is of help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.