Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I applied for medicine with predicted grades of AAA and got 1 interview but was unsuccessful, I then decided to take a year out. I got my results yesterday, i got ABB in Maths Biology Chemistry. I was only 8 marks off an A in both so quite gutted to be honest. I guess now i'm looking at alternate ways of getting into med-schools and trying to find the best option and so if there is anyone who has been in my position and been knocked back advice would be much appreciated.

There's only really a few options, i either do a biomed course and apply GEM which i know is even more competitive and isn't necessarily something i want to do. Secondly to resit the year and retake some modules to bump my grades up however i will then be limited to where i can apply. Research tells my I have possibly three options - UEA, Exeter and maybe Plymouth. Thirdly is to apply to do medicine abroad which is something im swaying to. If there's anyway that has been in my position and chose to do medicine abroad some guidance would be grateful.

Thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    If you were only 8 marks off an A, couldn't you get some modules remarked and see if they go up? I know it's a gamble, but it might pay off

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine you must feel pretty gutted :/ But it's definitely not the end of the world! I would say do a degree that you like the sound of first (DON'T go for biomed, you'll forever be labeled as a "failed medic" and if you change your mind about medicine, or if you can't get in, it's a very difficult field to get into). Just work as hard as you can for that one, gain some life experience and maturity and reapply as a graduate. There are plenty of 5-year med courses which allow graduates, so you don't necessarily have to apply for graduate courses only.

I know it must suck right now but have a read at this blog and it might give you some helpful info as this girl was in a similar situation to you and after 3 attempts managed to get in ilovehotchoc.blogspot.com

Edit: I wouldn't really advise biomed courses which transfer onto medicine either as they are SO competitive, and unless you can be one of the top 15 of your year it's very unlikely you will get in that way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.