Turn on thread page Beta

What do you like/dislike about the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you love about the UK? What are the things that you hate the most?

I'm considering immigrating to the UK and would like to know.

ReputationRep:
    Love

- Free healthcare is pretty good, even though I never have to use it and it's not actually free as it's paid for by our taxes, so in essence having to pay for other peoples health is pretty good I guess. Especially when they have insecurities they need to spend thousands cosmetically removing.

- I like how we have freedom of speech, that's pretty good too. Giving complete strangers the right to shout down any word I utter and slander me with any derogative term they can think of for having contrasting views.

- Having a government that's actually concerned about my wellbeing is also reassuring. Being spied on and having my access to internet content restricted, as well as having law enforcement services to completely strip me of any right to protect myself because they can do a better job of it hopefully, is all in my best interest.

Hate

- Absolutely nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Love

- Free healthcare is pretty good, even though I never have to use it and it's not actually free as it's paid for by our taxes, so in essence having to pay for other peoples health is pretty good I guess. Especially when they have insecurities they need to spend thousands cosmetically removing.

- I like how we have freedom of speech, that's pretty good too. Giving complete strangers the right to shout down any word I utter and slander me with any derogative term they can think of for having contrasting views.

- Having a government that's actually concerned about my wellbeing is also reassuring. Being spied on and having my access to internet content restricted, as well as having law enforcement services to completely strip me of any right to protect myself because they can do a better job of it hopefully, is all in my best interest.

Hate

- Absolutely nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Love

Hate

- Absolutely nothing!
    Name:  I-See-What-You-Did-There..png
Views: 446
Size:  16.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    Name:  I-See-What-You-Did-There..png
Views: 446
Size:  16.5 KB
    Are you implying that Mockery was being sarcastic?

ReputationRep:
    The fact that its really hard to get a tea or coffee late at night. No such issue in Spain, where alcohol is only a part of a night out rather rather the focus of it.

ReputationRep:
    I like:

Along with Scandinavian countries it's one of the least racist/homophobic/xenophobic countries on the planet, world renowned higher education system, by far the most innovative country that has ever existed and strangely enough the weather.

I dislike:

That despite being the Birthplace of modern democracy we still have archaic institutions like the monarchy and church of England holding positions of power, that our empire has basically disappeared, stupid approaches by recent governments dealing with the influx of immigrants and the slow decline of traditional drinking establishments.

ReputationRep:
    Like:

It's clean, it's safe (these are obviously relative terms), it's where most of my friends, family, and people I love and care about are.

Dislike:

The erosion of our rights, and civil liberties by successive governments, and the fact we have a people who are willing to sell these rights and liberties in exchange for alleged safety. In short the fact that our people are being cowardly, and as a result are ironically making life more dangerous for themselves and others.

We are by no means the worst country on earth, in fact in terms of quality of life, our current political freedom etc. we are arguably among the best. But that's not going to last for long with the rate we are willing to be robbed of fundamental human rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusanM)

We don't have concentration camps here, which is worth noting, nor do we have a policy on enforcing child soldiers as cannon fodder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    I like:

Along with Scandinavian countries it's one of the least racist/homophobic/xenophobic countries on the planet, world renowned higher education system, by far the most innovative country that has ever existed and strangely enough the weather.

I dislike:

That despite being the Birthplace of modern democracy we still have archaic institutions like the monarchy and church of England holding positions of power, that our empire has basically disappeared, stupid approaches by recent governments dealing with the influx of immigrants and the slow decline of traditional drinking establishments.
    You dislike 'archaic institutions' like the monarchy and the C of E, but you want the empire back? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    We don't have concentration camps here, which is worth noting, nor do we have a policy on enforcing child soldiers as cannon fodder.
    Well, we do have child soldiers actually, but they aren't 'enforced' as such.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the NHS, makes it nie on impossible for me to warrant leaving the UK.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have type 1 diabetes.

ReputationRep:

What country are you from?

* The countryside - so beautiful, varied, intricate and many-faceted - we have tremendous scenic variety for such a small country.
    * The people - despite the occasional bad apple, most British people are decent, polite, considerate and thoughtful to others in ways that are almost unknown in many parts of the world.
    * Heritage - we have loads and loads of history, it's there in the buildings, the countryside, the books and films and written on the people, with all their diversity, local colour and regional identities.
    * TV - BBC remains one of the best, if not the best, networks on the planet.
    * NHS - as celebrated at the Olympics.
    * Quiet pride - most Brits are deeply patriotic but don't go around making a huge song and dance about it. You do see the odd flag in a garden, but the UK does not need to hang flags out of every window to make a point - we are not so insecure.
    * Tremendous resourcefulness, intelligence and skill of the people. Despite post-imperial decline, the UK remains one of the most inventive, cultured, clever places on earth with endless variety of achievement in every conceivable field. Britain punches not only above its weight, but about 20 times above its weight.
    * Cities and towns. From London to York, from Gloucester to Edinburgh and Exeter to Lincoln, our old towns have repeatedly transformed and improved themselves without losing touch with their historical roots. They are full of interest and curiosity, style and flair, old and new.
    * Diversity - nowhere has assimilated and adopted people from so many cultures and races with so much success. Inward migrants have added depth and richness to the UK and added many useful foodstuffs to a rather bland diet.

Dislikes

* Things that cheapen or degrade our culture.
    * Modern food culture that removes our old foods and serves up only 'cheap', industrialised and processed food to the masses. Why do the majority of people in the UK not crave proper fresh, tasty, healthy regional food, as they do in France, Italy, etc?
    * Connected to that, spiralling obesity and ill health.
    * The way British people get exploited by multinational corporations that loot us for everything from utility bills to train fares and dentistry to coffee.
    * The way our servile politicians line up behind those corporate interests.
    * The way our politicians serve US interests and not our own. Sometimes they are not the same thing.
    * Lack of realisation, despite huge interpersonal contact and warm relations, that we are European first and foremost.
    * Little Englander, island bunker mentality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Well, we do have child soldiers actually, but they aren't 'enforced' as such.
    I hope you're not referring to under 18 soldiers who are never sent into warzones as under 18s, rendering those 'can be sent to die but not allowed to vote' rubbish as utter nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    What country are you from?
    I'm from India.

ReputationRep:
    Overall I like the weather. I'm a cold-loving person :3 but the heatwaves we had a couple of weeks ago were :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Love:

The NHS - I have had a few health problems an even though the waiting times can be long for operations and the such I still wouldn't have been able to afford these things otherwise.

Diversity - Really happy to be living in London in such a diverse and tolerant community

BBC - I like their TV shows more so than most american ones.

The EU - I like the fact that I can travel around Freely.

Hate:

TFL - This used to be cheap and london was always accessible to me. It's over congested and overpriced now and even if I wanted to I couldn't go by car instead because of course, they've come up with an added charge for that :/

Privatisation - Treating everything like a business when it should be a public service.

Food - Healthy food seems to be sold at a premium nowadays making Junk food more appealing. This leads to many health problems for the NHS so probably costs more in the long run. Too many people are overweight compared to 50 years ago.

Smoking - In london it's near impossible to not smell cigarette smoke in the air if you are in a congested area.

Drugs - Prohibition means high crime and a lot of tax money being wasted.

Binge drinking - Really sad when I leave Oceana and without fail on my way to the cab I'll see at least 5 people on the floor. This further abuses the NHS system.

Wars - Far too much is spent here. Most of their infantry have no idea what they are fighting for. They recruit these sheep once they fall through the education system. Would be good if the army was used much more for humanitarian efforts and building housing, communities over here as there is a housing shortage.

I guess I'm quite the pessimist :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

I'm going to sound slightly conflicted with my views, but here we go

Like: extremely polite, friendly people

Dislike: so friendly and accepting to the point that we are viewed as pushovers

ReputationRep:
    One of the many things I dislike about london...

There are sooo many people (of a particular race, I don't want to specifically say it because I will offend the person of that race who reads this post) almost everywhere you go who go through bins taking stuff out!!!
    They put their hands in the most disgusting bins.
    Sometimes, I see them plunging through a whole pile of bin bags, ripping them open.
    They collect so much metal from the road, why???

ReputationRep:
    Tax rates

lol your gonna be sold a dream and it will remain a dream

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.