Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been given an offer for Melville Grove; I was a little late on the whole 'book accomodation train', and was looking for the least costly available.

I'm not really concerned with location/deceny of rooms/security etc, so much as I am about the type of people who'd be my fellow halls buddies.

Thing is, I've heard Melville Grove has a disproportionate number of international/post-grap students; now, I'm pretty cool with international students so long as they're amiable and affable and whatnot, and I'm also fine with postgrad students who aren't perturbed by age/experience difference. But, to get to the crux of the matter, I'd rather be with people who are, so to speak, in the same boat as me (i.e. first year students).

Can anyone help eluciate date this matter? Are there still a fair number of 1st year students at Melville Grove? Does it have a fairly decent social life/atmosphere?

Regards, Joel.

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted my accommodation offer at Melville Grove and I'm a first year student so you won't be completely alone haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I read exactly the same thing but I contacted the uni and they said it's been like that in the past but it's now for 1st year under grads and not focused on mature or international there is a facebook group called Melville grove 2013/201that the uni has set up if yo wanna find out more info!

Hope this helps!
    P.s if you hadn't already guessed, I'm in Melville and I'm a first year too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CulturedNoob)
    Thing is, I've heard Melville Grove has a disproportionate number of international/post-grap students;
    I wouldn't let this worry you. I lived at Melville last year (my first year). The only post-grads I ever met were the residential advisor's (the closest thing to staff on site), with the vast majority of students, if not all, being first years.

There were a fair few international students, and generally they seemed to be put in houses together. Remember it's only a small halls, with 49 houses of 7 people.

Regarding the social side, whilst you don't have a bar like Greenbank/Carnatic, you are a 5 minute walk from all the pubs, bars, and clubs you could ask for in the town centre. We all pre-drank in the kitchen with other houses coming round or whatever before walking into town.

If you have any other Melville questions feel free to ask away.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys; my fears have been assuaged.

Yeh, should be interesting and all the rest of it; but first, three weeks of premature nostalgia, sentimentality and endless ruminating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteWash)
    I wouldn't let this worry you. I lived at Melville last year (my first year). The only post-grads I ever met were the residential advisor's (the closest thing to staff on site), with the vast majority of students, if not all, being first years.

There were a fair few international students, and generally they seemed to be put in houses together. Remember it's only a small halls, with 49 houses of 7 people.

Regarding the social side, whilst you don't have a bar like Greenbank/Carnatic, you are a 5 minute walk from all the pubs, bars, and clubs you could ask for in the town centre. We all pre-drank in the kitchen with other houses coming round or whatever before walking into town.

If you have any other Melville questions feel free to ask away.
    No, that pretty much covers it. Thanks 'guv.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.