Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I got my AS results yesterday, and I am so disappointed in myself! I'm really confused about what to do...my results were:
    Business Studies: B
    Geography: C
    Maths: D
    Chemistry: E

I have been planning to drop business for ages, because I absolutely hate it and somehow it ended up being my best grade. I absolutely love chemistry and it's my worst grade! I don't know what I should drop at A2, it makes sense to drop chemistry, but I was planning on doing that at university, and/or maths. Is it possible for me to pull my CDE up to As and Bs? I really don't want to resit the whole year! And this has been a proper kick up the backside so I'm willing to work as hard as possible! I just need some reassurance that I haven't completely messed everything up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasagneee)
    So, I got my AS results yesterday, and I am so disappointed in myself! I'm really confused about what to do...my results were:

I have been planning to drop business for ages, because I absolutely hate it and somehow it ended up being my best grade. I absolutely love chemistry and it's my worst grade! I don't know what I should drop at A2, it makes sense to drop chemistry, but I was planning on doing that at university, and/or maths. Is it possible for me to pull my CDE up to As and Bs? I really don't want to resit the whole year! And this has been a proper kick up the backside so I'm willing to work as hard as possible! I just need some reassurance that I haven't completely messed everything up!
    You have no way messed up everything - I would advise talking to your teachers and see what they think. I pulled a D at AS up to an A by resitting one exam! So it is possible and can be done!If you're motivated and will put the work in I don't see how you can't pull your grades up - I would advise sticking with the subjects you enjoy though I stuck with my D subject and pulled AS up to A and got a B at A2 so it is possible! Don't go for a subject you hate! Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoeToone95)
    You have no way messed up everything - I would advise talking to your teachers and see what they think. I pulled a D at AS up to an A by resitting one exam! So it is possible and can be done!If you're motivated and will put the work in I don't see how you can't pull your grades up - I would advise sticking with the subjects you enjoy though I stuck with my D subject and pulled AS up to A and got a B at A2 so it is possible! Don't go for a subject you hate! Hope that helps!
    Ahh, that's made me feel so much better! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, that's made me feel so much better! Thank you!
    Aha! Good - I felt crap after getting a D in Economics but with hard work and early revision anything is possible!

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Good - I felt crap after getting a D in Economics but with hard work and early revision anything is possible!
    I'm just hoping my teachers have faith in me, they were expecting As and Bs! Annoying thing is, we're getting a new head and my personal tutor was saying how it's gonna be difficult for me to persuade him that I should do chemistry and not business :/

ReputationRep:

Don't be disappointed - it's not like this is GCSE, when As and A*s are the norm, AS is difficult!

I brought a C up to a B and another C up to an A by resitting 2 exams in A2, so it's definitely doable. Don't let teachers/parents etc pressure you into dropping a certain subject - if you don't feel comfortable with it, drop it. I dropped a subject because I didn't feel there was enough support in that department for resits, which I'd have to do, and it worked out for the better. Just choose carefully, and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello53)
    Don't be disappointed - it's not like this is GCSE, when As and A*s are the norm, AS is difficult!

I brought a C up to a B and another C up to an A by resitting 2 exams in A2, so it's definitely doable. Don't let teachers/parents etc pressure you into dropping a certain subject - if you don't feel comfortable with it, drop it. I dropped a subject because I didn't feel there was enough support in that department for resits, which I'd have to do, and it worked out for the better. Just choose carefully, and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try telling my parents that! They don't understand how hard it is to achieve top grades! I'm just worried that I won't be able to bring my E up to atleast a B? It's a massive jump..

ReputationRep:
    I'm just hoping my teachers have faith in me, they were expecting As and Bs! Annoying thing is, we're getting a new head and my personal tutor was saying how it's gonna be difficult for me to persuade him that I should do chemistry and not business :/
    I'm sure you teachers will - when I got a D my Economics teacher was so supportive and I got an A second time round because of it! It's not his life - you should do what you want - I got ABBD and I dropped a B subject and carried on with the D against advice I pulled it up to an A and got a B overall! You'll do better if you like the subject!

ReputationRep:
    Try telling my parents that! They don't understand how hard it is to achieve top grades! I'm just worried that I won't be able to bring my E up to atleast a B? It's a massive jump..
    I did a D to an A - that's the same gap! Positivity!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Don't be disappointed, you can still improve them I got BBCC for AS and went up to ABB (nearly AAB) for A2. There are also a lot of people on here who have made much more impressive improvements than me, so don't give up and just work extra hard for A2!

ReputationRep:
    I did a D to an A - that's the same gap! Positivity!
    Ahh yeah I'm actually so motivated and determined to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~)
    Don't be disappointed, you can still improve them I got BBCC for AS and went up to ABB (nearly AAB) for A2. There are also a lot of people on here who have made much more impressive improvements than me, so don't give up and just work extra hard for A2!
    That's a good point, these success stories do make me feel better! Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.