Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

any other mature students starting at sheffield hallam in september? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi, im feeling very nervous about starting uni at the age of 32! i do not know another person starting there! so thought i would put up a post to speak to others in the same boat

ReputationRep:
    yes, I am although I'm much older than you at the ripe old age of 48

At the moment, I'm alternating between exhilaration at being accepted and pure panic at the thought of being the only mature student on the course - it's education studies.

ReputationRep:
    im having the same panic, its soo scary, i have just completed an access course at college n that was a breeze , but uni is like going to big school all over again lol x

ReputationRep:
    part of me wishes I'd done the same - instead I'm throwing myself in at the deep end, the last time I was in any type of learning environment was in 1985 at Stannington college doing a BTEC on day release.

I haven't a clue really what to expect and am quizzing my sons about lecture etiquette and the likes - keep joking that we were still using slates & chalk lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuney33)
    part of me wishes I'd done the same - instead I'm throwing myself in at the deep end, the last time I was in any type of learning environment was in 1985 at Stannington college doing a BTEC on day release.

I haven't a clue really what to expect and am quizzing my sons about lecture etiquette and the likes - keep joking that we were still using slates & chalk lol.
    college was great , but from visiting uni's its a whole lot different, its pretty daunting, think there should be a mature students group so we could all get together freshers week,then we could all brave it together lol .
    dont think it will take long to settle in though after talking to some of my friend that have just gone through it all , its just getting to that point hey x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donyteri)
    college was great , but from visiting uni's its a whole lot different, its pretty daunting, think there should be a mature students group so we could all get together freshers week,then we could all brave it together lol .
    dont think it will take long to settle in though after talking to some of my friend that have just gone through it all , its just getting to that point hey x
    I'm 27 and starting Network Management in September, I've a friend that is starting Bristol Uni in September and they have arranged a mature students day/freshers event for them. Would be cool if Hallam did the same.

ReputationRep:
    Would be great... Wonder if its worth contacting the student union to ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 29 and starting a history degree in Hallam in September can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Ah at least am not the only older one am excited but really nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donyteri)
    Ah at least am not the only older one am excited but really nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The first year should be fairly easy to be fair, and there will be a mature students society to join too which should help.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it looks interesting, I received my welcome pack this morning so know a bit more now
    Didn't know about the society will look in to that thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.