The Student Room Group

Msc Occupational Therapy (pre-reg) applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by blondyx
Hi there :-)

I was thinking of Brighton but don't think I have enough experience. What experience did you have for applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, the Brighton masters PGDip OT course requires that you have visited two Occupational services, one in mental & one physical. I need to get this arranged soon. I've done some volunteering in a hospital too hopefully that'll help my app. I have a friend who completed this course (she had a media/performing arts background) & she told me they look for people who have life experience/skills good for OT rather general OT/medical experience per se. Really hope I get a place on the course. Been wanting to do OT for ages! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Eliza99
Hi there, the Brighton masters PGDip OT course requires that you have visited two Occupational services, one in mental & one physical. I need to get this arranged soon. I've done some volunteering in a hospital too hopefully that'll help my app. I have a friend who completed this course (she had a media/performing arts background) & she told me they look for people who have life experience/skills good for OT rather general OT/medical experience per se. Really hope I get a place on the course. Been wanting to do OT for ages! :smile:

Hm ok. See I have met an OT a few times in the place I work at now. The OT assessed someones spine and another time provided equipment for someone I support (blind man). I start a new job as a mental health support worker and will work alongside OT's. Not sure whether it all os enough for the Brighton course..?
Good luck on your application and arranging work shadowing/experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Can someone send me a link the Brighton course page pleaseeee? I swear I've been on it before but I am only finding the Top up OT Msc for some reason :/
Reply 23
Hi @blondyx it's worth applying sounds like you've got a good amount of valuable experience for the OT course- if your not sure could always email and ask a tutor. @Purds88 And here is the link for the Brighton PG Dip in Occupational Therapy http://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/occupational-therapy-msc-pgcert-pgdip Good luck! I'm pleased they sent me the info and its good because they accept any degree subject for this course :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Purds88
Can someone send me a link the Brighton course page pleaseeee? I swear I've been on it before but I am only finding the Top up OT Msc for some reason :/

Here you go.. it is because it is named a bit different.

http://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/health-through-occupation-msc-pgcert-pgdip

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Hi all i'm new found this thread randomly whilst searching for courses!

I'm just having a look through the application form now, i'm a bit worried as I havent had any academic study for over 5 years or any actual OT experience! I have a degree in History back in 2006 then my husband was paralysed in a car accident and I became his full time carer, since then I have had lots of experience in OT indirectly and it's why I want to be an OT, but I think the lack of experience and recent study wont help, I looked at short courses on the open university following recommendation from the admissions at Essex Uni but I had already missed the start and couldn't really afford them!
Hi,

I'm hoping to apply to both Cumbria and Northumbria this year. I'm in my final year doing under-grad psychology at Northumbria now and I'm a little worried about going for conditional offers because I won't get my degree results till June is going to be a bit of a disadvantage. Is there anyone else applying straight from under-grad?
Reply 27
Hello all,
I've applied for Msc OT 2014 september start. I heard from Derby university today. I have a selection interview on 27th November. Anyone else offered an interview? I have been asked to bring a 500 word piece on knowledge and understanding of OT. Any suggestions? Thank you,
Yogita

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Hi guys! Has anyone been offered an interview at UAE. Iv'e been called in for around June time.

I was going to apply for Brunel and LSBU however unfortunately after talking to them I as told I can't apply because I currently a last year undergraduate and for me to be considered I have to already have my grades and degree in hand which is really annoying because it wasn't even clarified on their website! So warning to anyone in a similar situation.
Anyone experience anything similar?
Reply 29
I am in the middle of my application for brunel but the personal statement limit is 1440 characters.. :-/ ridiculously short! I am having trouble making it so short and confused why it needs to be that short anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Wow im quite surprised how can you do justice to your experience in that many words. Quite disappointing really seems all about their own convenience.
Reply 31
Original post by femgeek
Wow im quite surprised how can you do justice to your experience in that many words. Quite disappointing really seems all about their own convenience.

Exactly :-/ makes me worried. It says on the app form it may be good to mention why brunel, why the course, how the course helps in future goals and interests to consider..

How is it all going for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by blondyx
Exactly :-/ makes me worried. It says on the app form it may be good to mention why brunel, why the course, how the course helps in future goals and interests to consider..

How is it all going for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya,

I'm pretty sure you can attach a word document containing your personal statement at the end of the application. This may make it easier for you to write what you need to write, but I know it shouldn't be too long....just try not to waffle I suppose!

Has everyone applying to Brunel submitted their application yet? I've written my personal statement but I think it's too long so need to shorten it. Hopefully send it off this week!!
Reply 33
Hi,

I'm pretty sure you can attach a word document to the application at the end. I'm
Not sure of the word limit but at least you can maybe say a bit extra doing it this way!
Reply 34
Original post by Barson87
Hiya,

I'm pretty sure you can attach a word document containing your personal statement at the end of the application. This may make it easier for you to write what you need to write, but I know it shouldn't be too long....just try not to waffle I suppose!

Has everyone applying to Brunel submitted their application yet? I've written my personal statement but I think it's too long so need to shorten it. Hopefully send it off this week!!

Hiya, at the end of the application it gave me options to upload documents.
Do you know if we have to submit a research proposal? That waa on the lisy of things to upload.

How long is yout personal statement?
Reply 35
Has anyone received an interview from Derby University?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Yogij
Hello all,
I've applied for Msc OT 2014 september start. I heard from Derby university today. I have a selection interview on 27th November. Anyone else offered an interview? I have been asked to bring a 500 word piece on knowledge and understanding of OT. Any suggestions? Thank you,
Yogita

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hii Yogiji,
I have an interview towards the end of january for the start in september 2014. What sort of questions where you asked. I'm soo nervous :confused::smile:
Reply 37
Original post by blondyx
Hiya, at the end of the application it gave me options to upload documents.
Do you know if we have to submit a research proposal? That waa on the lisy of things to upload.

How long is yout personal statement?

Hi Blondyx.

Sorry for late reply. I've just got to the last part of the application where you upload information and have noticed the 'research proposal' section. I'm really confused too as I didn't read anywhere that you had to do this. It also says it can be entered 'on screen later on in application' which is also really confusing as I thought this was the last part.
Do you know anything further now?

My personal statement is about 1400 at the moment but am hoping to cut out at least 500 words.

How is your application going?
Reply 38
Original post by Barson87
Hi Blondyx.

Sorry for late reply. I've just got to the last part of the application where you upload information and have noticed the 'research proposal' section. I'm really confused too as I didn't read anywhere that you had to do this. It also says it can be entered 'on screen later on in application' which is also really confusing as I thought this was the last part.
Do you know anything further now?

My personal statement is about 1400 at the moment but am hoping to cut out at least 500 words.

How is your application going?

Hiya, I spoke to admissions and they said research proposal is only for phd applicants. Oh wow you must have alot of valuable things to talk about in your PS. Mine was 500 words and my application completed.

Are you applying anywhere else?
Reply 39
Original post by blondyx
Hiya, I spoke to admissions and they said research proposal is only for phd applicants. Oh wow you must have alot of valuable things to talk about in your PS. Mine was 500 words and my application completed.

Are you applying anywhere else?

Hi Blondyx

Ah that's such a relief thanks for letting me know! I thought that was a little too much to ask for a masters level.

Well hearing that yours was 500 makes me think I should shorten mine down even more! They did say they want a succinct personal statement so you've probably done the right thing. Mine is now 900 after I deleted some stuff last night, may try to delete a bit more tonight though. It's so difficult though as I feel that I have to mention all the stuff to get my point across!

Yes I've applied for southbank too. I'm based in London and these are the only two there unfortunately. I've submitted that application already.

How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending