Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my AS (ACCC- A in history, C's in Politics, Media and English lit- getting politics remarked as I find the result dubious) and was wondering which course to go for. American studies has politics in it, but as I'm interested in US history/politics over other aspects of american studies, should I stick to just politics? I was thinking about applying for both, but my personal statement couldnt cover them both without being overly general. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It might sound obvious but READ the different course descriptions for each course and each University carefully. No two Politics or American Studies courses will be exactly the same. Make sure it actually covers the stuff you are interested in.

So read the detailed info about optional units/modules etc for ALL of the three years of the course - if this isn't on the Uni website, email the Dept and ask for it, they wont mind.

Bear in mind that some 'good' Unis wont offer American Studies as a named course but will offer a History or Politics course with a Year Abroad option (Manchester for instance).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.