The Student Room Group

A2 - ABB Medicine abroad?

Hello everyone,

I applied for medicine with predicted grades of AAA and got 1 interview but was unsuccessful, I then decided to take a year out. I got my results yesterday, i got ABB in Maths Biology Chemistry. I was only 8 marks off an A in both so quite gutted to be honest. I guess now i'm looking at alternate ways of getting into med-schools and trying to find the best option and so if there is anyone who has been in my position and been knocked back advice would be much appreciated.

There's only really a few options, i either do a biomed course and apply GEM which i know is even more competitive and isn't necessarily something i want to do. Secondly to resit the year and retake some modules to bump my grades up however i will then be limited to where i can apply. Research tells my I have possibly three options - UEA, Exeter and maybe Plymouth. Thirdly is to apply to do medicine abroad which is something im swaying to. If there's anyway that has been in my position and chose to do medicine abroad some guidance would be grateful.

Thankyou!!
Reply 1
Original post by JJS44
Hello everyone,

I applied for medicine with predicted grades of AAA and got 1 interview but was unsuccessful, I then decided to take a year out. I got my results yesterday, i got ABB in Maths Biology Chemistry. I was only 8 marks off an A in both so quite gutted to be honest. I guess now i'm looking at alternate ways of getting into med-schools and trying to find the best option and so if there is anyone who has been in my position and been knocked back advice would be much appreciated.

There's only really a few options, i either do a biomed course and apply GEM which i know is even more competitive and isn't necessarily something i want to do. Secondly to resit the year and retake some modules to bump my grades up however i will then be limited to where i can apply. Research tells my I have possibly three options - UEA, Exeter and maybe Plymouth. Thirdly is to apply to do medicine abroad which is something im swaying to. If there's anyway that has been in my position and chose to do medicine abroad some guidance would be grateful.

Thankyou!!

Where would you consider applying abroad? Contact all of the universities you want to apply to and see if they mind resits. Chances are they won't mind if you resit the year. If that's the case, apply abroad and apply to the UK unis you've listed. You don't really have anything to lose if the unis abroad don't mind resits. You'll hopefully be accepted abroad and have a reasonable shot at the unis you've listed. A small chance is better than no chance right?

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by JJS44
Thirdly is to apply to do medicine abroad which is something im swaying to. If there's anyway that has been in my position and chose to do medicine abroad some guidance would be grateful.

Thankyou!!

No idea where you might be looking at, but just to give you an idea of the complications of what you are thinking about -
Trinity in Ireland insists that matriculation and entry requirements must be taken in 3 consecutive years. Given that includes some subjects at GCSE level, that precludes gap years or repeats.
UCD will only accept A-levels done in the same year - so to count 3 A-levels, you'd need to repeat the whole lot.
Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin makes no mention of any resit restrictions that I can find on the website, but it may be buried in small print somewhere.

So that's three universities in one city, that all have different requirements and restrictions.

Medicine, as you know is notoriously strict, and unfortunately, that also applies abroad. You will need to do a lot of research as each institution is likely to have slightly different rules. I can foresee a lot of emailing of admissions offices!

Note, as an aside, I've mentioned Irish unis, as those are the ones I know, but you really need 4 a-levels to get enough points for an Irish uni anyway. So for a realistic shot at UCD, say, you'd need to repeat all three of your A2s AND pick up another A2 and do it in a year, AND get all As (AND sit the HPAT!).

Have you considered graduate medicine entry? i.e., get a degree in something like biomedical science (which you might find you love anyway), and then if you still want to become a doctor after that, apply as a graduate?

EDIT - doh, just saw your last paragraph about graduate entry. Ignore my last paragraph!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending