Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mickey Mouse Degrees Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello! In September, I am going to be studying International Hospitality Management at the University of Surrey. It's one of the main courses at the University (Surrey is ranked 8th in the country) and it is the number one University for the course in the country. I'm really interested in the industry and aspire to be a manager at a Jumeirah hotel which is a Dubai based hotel chain and one of it's hotels is the Burj al Arab, the 7* hotel, in Dubai. To work for Jumeirah as a manager, it requires a Hospitality/Business related degree. I was reading online earlier that people consider business related degrees to be ''Mickey Mouse'' subjects and it's made me worried to tell people what I am studying. Will people judge me and look down on me as they may consider their course to be superior? A lot of reputable people have come out of Surrey doing this degree, such as Robert Earl who was the founder of Planet Hollywood and also George Diakogeorgiou who is the founder of lastminute.com. It may well be a simpler degree to say Law or something, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of jobs in Business/Hospitality so finding a job after the degree won't be AS difficult (Although still difficult in this climate). Whereas there are a lot of degrees where getting a job afterwards can be near impossible, for example my aunty studied History, couldn't get any employment with a very good degree and is now a coach driver..

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I wouldn't regard it as a 'mickey mouse' degree if it's necessary for your career. For me personally I wouldn't choose it, because my interests lay elsewhere, however if it interests you and will help you in your career then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for the lack paragraphs, my enter button isnt working. Thanks for the reply, yeah you're right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's one of those subjects that varies massively depending on where you do it. At the better universities it involves quite a lot of economics, stats and accounting but at the weaker universities it is filled with HR and management type courses that aren't really respected modules to be taking.

If you make sure you take the harder modules and put them on your CV, you should be fine. Also get a job in a hotel while you study. It will be great experience for you and will give you some extra cash as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your reply. I think you're spot on with that. I went to look at the same course at Oxford Brookes, Plymouth and Bournemouth and let's just say...you could see why Surrey was #1. Looking at the modules of all 4, Surrey's was by far the most academic whereas the others seemed a bit wishy washy. For example, Plymouth offered "Cruise Management" whereas Surrey has 3 different compulsory units on accounting, finance and statistics. Perhaps certain Universities are destroying the reputation of certain courses. I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about Surrey £3,000 accommodation for the first year?? How does it even work !!??

ReputationRep:
    TSR is incredibly snobby, and the worst are people who haven't even been to university yet but are convinced they know everything about the academic and working world. You clearly researched your degree more than people calling it a mickey mouse one so have no worries and enjoy your course

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said, it's a degree that will kick off your career. That's not a Mickey Mouse degree.

A Mickey Mouse degree is something like "David Beckham studies"
    How exactly will that help you??!!

But your degree sounds brilliant & you're clearly focused & passionate about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. Appreciate it, some really good answers! Is being judged common at University, ie does everybody do it? Or is it a minority? I've noticed on the Student Room people are always bragging about their course, their grades, their university, their scholarship(s) etc. Is this an accurate reflection of how people act at University, or are people not really bothered about what other people study. Even though Hospitality is my passion, I am still worried about telling people what I study. Will people be like 'ah, cool' or will I have to explain my choice in detail every single time? Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.