Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did a lot better for my AS levels than I had originally anticipated (I got 3As and a B when I was predicted B/C). I had been all set for doing Psychology at university but now I'm really not sure. As stupid as this may sound, I didn't really know until recently that Psych would consist of a lot of maths and sciences. I kind of thought it would be a lot more humanities based since it's a social science... But then I realised there's a lot of reports to do and experiments to conduct as well? I did Biology for my AS level but I'm going to drop it because I barely scraped a B in it (although I think this was because I got a D in my ISA and I only studied for one of my modules 2 nights before hand) and didn't really enjoy learning Biology itself. My other AS levels were English lit, History and economics. I went for a taster Psychology lecture in UCL and literally fell asleep during it because I found it so incredibly boring.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

I found the stanford prison experiment/milgram experiment and the little bit of Pscyhology A level that I tried out really interesting. I don't think I would mind doing essays, it's just the sciencey/statics bits that scare the hell out of me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi eddyish,

I wouldn't worry too much. The natural sciences aren't too arduous in psychology. There are bits and bobs of biology here and there (depends if you choose science or more social oriented modules) but by science they mainly mean "scientific method" I.e lots of controlled experiments with hypothesis testing rather than chemistry, physics, biology. So you learn research methods in how to conduct science, but you aren't learning the natural sciences as such.

Stats make up a big part of research, but it mainly means punching numbers into a spreadsheet and clicking a few buttons. The focus is more on how to conduct research rather than how to equate statistics using pen and paper.

It's much more important to think about whether the subject interests you and the career opportunities afterward. Psychology is very broad, so I can guarantee there will be bits you don't like and in the same breath I can guarantee they'll be bits you love.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Writing reports are very important in psychology and it's in these that you'll need to do statistics. Although statistics can seem pretty scary, it's not like maths and something that not many people have prior experience of so you'll all be learning together.

There will be some modules where you need a basic biological understanding but your experience at AS should be sufficient and as said above you can just pick social instead of biological modules.

You really do need to think about what you want to do with your degree once you graduate as specific psychology jobs can be difficult to come across.

You need to ask yourself what it is about psychology that you like. If you enjoy it then go for it, but the fact that you found the UCL lecture boring is worrying as taster session are designed to be interesting and to make you want to take the subject!

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly it depends on the uni. Some are more maths based then others.

I have just graduated with a first in psychology and my worst subjects at school were maths, biology (and French and geography but they didn't really play into my degree!). A psychology degree starts with the very basics and I know my department offers lots of extra help and classes for stats. As for the biology side I loved it but struggled. I remember once our lecturer asking who didn't understand action potential and I was the only one, on a class of 300 to raise their hand :/

But I asked for help and did lots more reading in that area, drew diagrams etc.

But it really depends on the uni so have a look at the different modules offered and support available

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As for the boredom again I think it depends on the uni. My lecturers are hilarious. Sure there were boring lectures but most I loved because of content alone. Go to some open days in different places. If you are still bored then maybe psychology is not for you. (I go to Bangor BTW should you wonder )

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.