Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed my AS levels, achieving 3As (maths, business studies and biology) and 1 high B (chemistry). Of these 4 subjects I intend to take Maths, Biology and Chemistry forwards to A level, in which I am predicted A*AA.

These predictions theoretically put me in good stead to apply for high ranking universities such as Warwick, Exeter etc., but looking at advice on applying for Economics at high ranking uni's implies that most want more than A*AA, either by average UCAS points or simply advice (including that on the TSR website itself) given by experts/guides.

I was initially delighted with my results and predictions, but now I'm worried they aren't enough to get me to the level of university I expected. Thus, my question is, should I continue business studies as a 4th A level in order to boost my UCAS points total and thus my chances of getting onto highly competitive courses?

The risk of such a move would be high for me; 3As and a B were unbelievable results which I achieved via incredibly hard work throughout the year - continuing all 4 subjects could potentially prove too much of a workload and could cause my grades to suffer, making me worse off then if I had just stuck with 3 A level subjects. Also, 3 A levels is the norm for my sixth form, with only one student I know of (who achieved 4 high As and is likely oxbridge bound) taking 4 A levels. This would mean a 4th A level would be mostly self taught.

Sorry for the enormous walls of text but I wanted to give as much context as possible - the thought of taking 4 A levels wasn't a remote possibility before tonight (I didn't do much research into higher universities because I wasn't expecting the results I got!) and so I'm all kinds of confused as to what I should do. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    It'd probably be more useful to take up further maths or economics as an AS - more points, if that's what you're concerned about, and could help you get an offer. Plus FM would, arguably, give you less of an increase in workload because it's not a discrete subject, just more maths, so they both feed into each other.

ReputationRep:
    Do 3. All you require is 3 anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robojobo1)
    I have just completed my AS levels, achieving 3As (maths, business studies and biology) and 1 high B (chemistry). Of these 4 subjects I intend to take Maths, Biology and Chemistry forwards to A level, in which I am predicted A*AA.

These predictions theoretically put me in good stead to apply for high ranking universities such as Warwick, Exeter etc., but looking at advice on applying for Economics at high ranking uni's implies that most want more than A*AA, either by average UCAS points or simply advice (including that on the TSR website itself) given by experts/guides.

I was initially delighted with my results and predictions, but now I'm worried they aren't enough to get me to the level of university I expected. Thus, my question is, should I continue business studies as a 4th A level in order to boost my UCAS points total and thus my chances of getting onto highly competitive courses?

The risk of such a move would be high for me; 3As and a B were unbelievable results which I achieved via incredibly hard work throughout the year - continuing all 4 subjects could potentially prove too much of a workload and could cause my grades to suffer, making me worse off then if I had just stuck with 3 A level subjects. Also, 3 A levels is the norm for my sixth form, with only one student I know of (who achieved 4 high As and is likely oxbridge bound) taking 4 A levels. This would mean a 4th A level would be mostly self taught.

Sorry for the enormous walls of text but I wanted to give as much context as possible - the thought of taking 4 A levels wasn't a remote possibility before tonight (I didn't do much research into higher universities because I wasn't expecting the results I got!) and so I'm all kinds of confused as to what I should do. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
    My advice would be to drop Business Studies and take up AS FM (it's easy dont worry). Just my opinion though

ReputationRep:
    I think you got to see whether you really could handle taking 4 subjects at A2 including business otherwise you might be taking on too much and hence will not do well overall.
    I myself took Math, Bio, Chem and Literature at AS level as well although I decided to drop lit in A2 despite getting a high A (92) for it in AS. Personally I rather really focus and score for my 3 science subjects in A2 than trying to accumulate lots of points and risking the chance of not being able to score. It really depends on your ability of course, this is just my personal opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Computer Science and am currently studying Maths, Physics, Computing and Psychology at A2. I was wondering if I should drop Psychology or Physics to or keep going with all 4. I haven't had any problems thus far and the syllabi cover fairly interesting topics, but as we're only in our 3rd week of the year, that isn't really saying much.

My concerns thus far are that, although my predicted grade for Psy is an A, I barely got that grade at AS. I'm also predicted an A in Physics, but I'm a bit of a slow learner, which means I'm not exactly eager to study it (compared to my other subjects). I'm predicted an A* in the others (and need Maths), but the idea of Coursework for Computing is also a bit daunting, as are Psychology's essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ess R Kay)
    Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks
    If you have both Economics and Business Studies as part of only 3 A levels then yes, you're pretty much asking for an instant rejection. If you're doing 4 or 5 then it would probably be more acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    If you have both Economics and Business Studies as part of only 3 A levels then yes, you're pretty much asking for an instant rejection. If you're doing 4 or 5 then it would probably be more acceptable.
    Does this apply for all universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Dexter)
    Does this apply for all universities?
    Probably all of the top 20 at least although there may be exceptions. If a university doesn't mention this on their website, email them to check if you're unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Probably all of the top 20 at least although there may be exceptions. If a university doesn't mention this on their website, email them to check if you're unsure.
    I would like to do Management at Leicester and i will be studying Economics , Business Studies, Geography and BTEC in Public Services, but i will email them later, thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.