Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically, I know UG medicine is obviously very competitive and GEM even more so.

Currently I got 9A*2A1C at GCSE, 4A* (Chem, Physics, Maths, F.Maths) and an A in Gen Studies at A level. I'm going to do a degree in physics at Imperial (so lets assume I get a 2.1), lets also assume I get decent experience and decent UKCAT scores. I'm not stupid, I know I've got good grades and I "will have a chance" but will it be stupid for me to consider it an option after my degree? Does "having a chance" mean I might get in or I might not or will it mean I should get in unless something goes wrong? I guess I want to know what my chances will be and how competitive GEM is, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to medicine then there's no point doing anything else! It is far more competitive at GEM and you're making it harder for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    That's because I don't see how anyone, at the age of 17/18 can say they want to do a vocational degree like medicine and be a doctor all their life. I want to do something like physics to keep my options open and see how I feel at 21 when I'm older and have more life experience

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    If you want to medicine then there's no point doing anything else! It is far more competitive at GEM and you're making it harder for yourself.
    This

(Original post by navennn)
    That's because I don't see how anyone, at the age of 17/18 can say they want to do a vocational degree like medicine and be a doctor all their life. I want to do something like physics to keep my options open and see how I feel at 21 when I'm older and have more life experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've met many well rounded 18 year old's who clearly know medicine is for them, and can see themselves being doctors for the rest of their working lives. However, I myself decided that medicine was definitely for me during my first degree, so I kind of understand what you mean.

I suggest that you assess what interests you about medicine and if your only thinking about doing it because you don't know where physics will get you. Because, I really wouldn't recommend the additional hassle/difficulties the GEM route brings.

It's difficult to say what your "chance" is exactly. For many universities your excellent GCSE and A Level grades will mean nothing, nearly every GEM applicant has a 2.1 or a first, work and life experience. It all generally depends on how well you do on the UKCAT/GAMSAT/BMAT and how you do in the interviews (if you're lucky enough to get one). And with regards to competition, there's fewer places than the standard 5 year course, as well as funding for graduates on the 4 year programmes (at the moment at least), and that leads to heavy competition.

ReputationRep:
    Without sounding judgmental, the fact that you are willing to delay your application shows that you are unsure about medicine. Whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this, you can't assess your chances of getting a place until you are actually playing the game (i.e. test scores and interviews).

I am applying as a mature applicant with research experience, and I will be sitting the UKCAT and GAMSAT next month, so I understand your mindset in terms of taking time to explore other avenues before making a dedicated decision to study medicine. However, I don't care a great deal about the competition for Graduate entry because at the end of the day, you should just do your best. The real competition is against yourself rather than others.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, you guys have answered my question perfectly! It's given me something to think about which I guess I need to come to a decision. I can't +rep from the app but I will once I get on a laptop. Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.