Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I tell my parents I want to move to Scotland Watch

ReputationRep:
    ty

ReputationRep:
    just apply and say: I know you're really unhappy about me wanting to go to scotland but I really like the uni and course and that you think it would do you a world of good moving to a new place for a bit.

I'm sure with time they will come around to the idea . My parents were furious when i suggested i wanted to go on a solo round the world trip after uni but i booked the flights and they just came to accept it was going to happen. Hopefully your parents will just accept it too!

Just apply and take it one step at a time! I'm sure it'll work out

ReputationRep:
    When talking to them about unis, don't specifically say 'I want to go to Scotland' if you think they'll automatically object to it. Research the courses and universities (have you started doing this?), mention the ones you're interested in that happen to be in Scotland. Simples :p:
    Let them know your reasons for applying - the strengths of the uni, what draws you there etc - and have a few calm conversations about it. At the end of the day, it's your application and you shouldn't feel restricted because your mum will get emotional.

I'm moving up to St Andrews from Cambridge in September. My mum gets pretty emotional when the subject is raised, and I know she (and my dad..) will miss me - but I'm going to leave at some point! To be honest, with me, it didn't really matter if I moved 40 or 400 miles away for uni; I've told them I probably won't be returning home during term time, so in terms of seeing them it makes no difference whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you know you're mum would cry suggests that she really cares for you and so deep down she'll want what's best for you and for you to be happy. My mum got the shock of her life when my sister told her she was off to St Andrews (about 7/8 hours drive for us), but supported her nonetheless. Anyway long story short my sister has never been happier than she is up there and just the fact that she's so happy makes our parents happy and proud of her.
    So, just sit your parents down, tell them that moving away is nothing to do with wanting to be far away from them and is simply because that is where you'll be happiest and where you know you will thrive. Be open and honest with them. You're quite clearly passionate about this so show them that. Yes, they are likely to get upset but please do not let this deter you from what you really want. Promise to sky/call them frequently and keep them up to date (I think my mum and sister speak more over skype and are closer than they were when they lived in the same house!)
    I know it's hard to watch you're parents be upset but you also have to do what's best for you. Once they see how happy you are up there, they'll be happy to.
    Eugh sorry this turned into such a novel! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It's your life their actions seem a bit petty (although understandable) do whatever you want to do, don't be held back by the desires of other people.

ReputationRep:
    They're probably just annoyed because they would have to go on an 8 hour car journey to carry all your stuff up to Scotland every term!

Start slipping Irn Bru into their drinks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.