Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strongest female characters? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Someone put this link up on facebook recently, and I have to say I agree with it. A lot of female characters are in there just to be "strong". They don't have a substantial part other than kicking peoples a**** and throwing out witty put-downs to belittle the male characters and "keep them in line". I mean, that isn't to say there aren't strong female characters, there are heaps of them but mostly in literature, and somehow this gets lost in the making of films. I mean, what in the world happened to Ginny Weasley? She was a great character, not my favourite, but good, and in the films she's not even remotely likable.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/...ale-characters

So I wondered which fictional characters you think are genuinely strong, three dimensional people. I have to admit, most of mine were written at least a century ago or more, but these are my favourites. I'll spoiler them, they got quite long.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables-Spends the first 11 years of her life being shifted from one "foster" home to another, including one woman who has three pairs of twins, who Anne helps to bring up. When she finally does get adopted she spends all her time getting into heaps of trouble but not because she's mischievous, just because she daydreams too much. But despite all her daydreaming she's also fiercely ambitious and loyal, she loses her temper on several occasions but is also very sensitive and sympathetic, and has a genuine wish to help people and do good. Sounds sappy, but I love Anne, she's inspirational without being boring or overly "good".

Jo March from Little Women-Similar to Anne in several ways, but less girly. I mean, she really does want to be one of the lads, but she eventually accepts that she can't be, but doesn't sit and mope about it and instead ends up cutting off most of her hair to raise money to help her dad who's fighting in the American civil wars. But although she is boyish she's also very sweet and maternal, which is shown by the way she looks after her sister Beth when she's ill and when she inherits her aunt's house she uses it as a boarding house for all sorts of waifs and strays, and like Anne tries to help them, and at the same time she's pursuing a literary career.

Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing-Probably the closest to the strong female character they talk about in the article, but Beatrice still isn't one dimensional. She's funny, she's cheeky, yes, she spends a lot of time trying to out-wit Benedick and the two of them are constantly putting on a show trying to put the other to shame, but when Hero is publicly humiliated by Claudio, Beatrice is highly sympathetic and believes her cousin's story right from the start and tries to convince Benedick to challenge him to a duel rather than see her cousin's reputation destroyed. She's also smart and apart from having a good old cry after Hero's not-quite-wedding, she always looks on the best side and also manages to reject Don Pedro in the kindest and funniest way possible, which isn't an easy thing to do.

Mary Barton from Mary Barton-I actually prefer North and South, but in terms of characters I prefer Mary to Margaret. She starts off as quite a vain and silly young girl whose mum and brother died when she was young, leaving her with her father, but she can also be very kind, she's genuinely gutted for her friend when she starts going blind and wants to help, and when the man she's in love with (who she rejected in a moment of massive misjudgement) is accused of murder, she spends half of the book chasing around Liverpool looking for his cousin to provide an alibi to save him, entirely by herself. And all this time her dad has disappeared because he's actually the murderer, so then she's left with the problem of protecting her lover without condemning her dad.

Deryn (Dylan) Sharp from Leviathan-
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sees her dad die in an aircraft accident, still decides to follow in her brothers footsteps and become a pilot on a genetically engineered ship in a parallel version of Britain in the first world war. Poses as a boy, manages to deceive all but a handful of people in the airforce (including Darwin's grand-daughter, a famous scientist and also a brilliant female character, incidentally, Scott Westerfeld writes some of my favourites) that she is a boy for three entire novels. Her first flight ends up going out of control, so she ends up on a massive and very famous airship and makes herself so invaluable that she is one of the two trainees who don't get left when the airship makes port and embarks on a mission vital to the war effort of the first world war. Falls in love with the heir to Austria-Hungary, doesn't reveal who she is because her work in the air force helping in the war matters more to her, and refuses to get soppy about it. Pretty brilliant in my book.

So TSR, who do you think are the strongest female characters and why?

ReputationRep:
    Lara Croft from tomb raider.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serenade)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually know nothing about Tomb Raider, but everyone says she's a great character

ReputationRep:
    Dagny from Ayn Rand's atlas shrugged, it's a closed case.

ReputationRep:
    Tess from the Last of Us.

ReputationRep:
    the prostitute from Borat

ReputationRep:
    bayonetta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serenade)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ripley "Get away from her you *****" (no, not Buffy) &
    Name:  buffy_vs_ripley.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  33.6 KB

my fave Alice (though u have to watch at least the first 3 Resident Evil to know the character).
    Name:  draft_lens19809216module162053936photo_1349020420A---.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  23.5 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.