Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I'm studying Music and Sound Production Technology this September and on results day I applied for accommodation in Cranbourne house but also ticked the box saying would you consider Corfe House as insurance...

So of course, I've been given a place at Corfe!
    Does anyone have any experience in living in Corfe and studying over in Talbot?

ReputationRep:
    Lol this happened to me too! Applied for Cranbourne got Corfe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any opinion now on what Corfe is like? I'm looking at Student Village or Cranborne.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice... Rooms are quite big. But it's far away from the talbot campus and can be a bit inconvenient

ReputationRep:
    Is that Corfe? I'm liking the look of Cranborne - anyone been living there? A video for Bournemouth shows a student saying there's a bus going straight to Talbot Campus every 10 mins basically outside Cranborne house?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats Corfe. Cranborne is really nice, literally bus stop is right outside.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Corfe since September now, the flats are really great! Double beds and en-suites as standard in every room, large desk and enough storage.. a friend of mine lives in Cranbourne in the cheapest room they offer, its so small he can't pull his chair out from under the desk without it hitting the bed! :L
    Another benefit is that it's not in the Lansdowne area which means you don't get as much noise from students coming home at 3am.
    The bus stop is a 5 min walk from Corfe but is twice an hour until about 4 where it turns to once an hour.. the journey takes about half hour too.

I think with Corfe you're getting a nice accommodation building but at the inconvenience of distance from uni and town since there's not much in Poole... depends what you're after really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andymills1)
    I've lived in Corfe since September now, the flats are really great! Double beds and en-suites as standard in every room, large desk and enough storage.. a friend of mine lives in Cranbourne in the cheapest room they offer, its so small he can't pull his chair out from under the desk without it hitting the bed! :L
    Is that the Value room? I'd be looking at standard or premium.

ReputationRep:
    The rooms in Corfe are adequate, there's a two door wardrobe, room enough for a desk, and ugly black out curtains/kind of blackout-ish blinds.
    The lighting is really lack lustre though if you're in a room with only one light, but the lighting in the bathroom is really bright. Under bed storage too, and if you're a genius like me it's even big enough to trap... uh, fit a person inside! The mattresses are really heavy to lift. Some rooms have a lamp in them, some don't, bit of a lucky dip.
    You will not be high enough to get the lovingly advertised 'sea view' unless you are in a post graduate flat however, so don't get your hopes up.
    Expect noise complaints from the locals.
    However if you're train side then you get massive aggregate trains storming past at like 5 AM in the morning and they almost always sound their horns because there's a pedestrian crossing in Poole centre.
    It's right by the Sainsburys but that's expensive so it's like a 15 minute walk to the Asda (across SUPER busy roads). Or a 30 minute walk if you're me.
    The town centre of Poole is nice and has a fair offering of shops, even a Primark, and a few places to eat out. If you're looking to impress some one there's a really good Italian restaurant along the quay by the Sunseeker factory called "La Lupa", food is a bit costly but it's worth it.

The bus to the uni comes once every 30 minutes or so, unless it doesn't want to. Later on the bus comes once every hour. The last one you can get back from the uni leaves at pretty much 10 PM on the dot, so you're damned if you wanna do any sports and such later on because the bus services that reach Poole are not exactly in an abundance, you get me?
    For morning lectures there's always a queue, and sometimes the uni tries to only put on a single decker bus which means not enough room for everyone. In the Dolphin centre there's a bus that goes to the uni as well, but I never used it as it wasn't covered by the rubbish student bus pass you can buy (works for like, five routes and that's it) and the other bus left about two minutes before the official uni bus did. Also if you're in a hurry there's a hill you can cut down to get to the bus stop rather than walking down the curved road, easier going up than down because you can't see the "steps" going down. Treacherous in the rain, trust me. I bum slid down it like, twice when I was in a hurry. Funny when it's not you, though!

There's a pool table and a football table in the downstairs reception which is by the laundry room, washes are like £1.30 for a wash and £1.20 to dry (if I remember right) and the washing machines work. Generally. They will however sometimes eat your money if you aren't careful, but there's a change machine in one of the quay side arcades which is handy. It's like two minutes from the beach but it's a bit poo because it's always really windy and rainy and grey (and sometimes smelly) I found, but you can go to Brownsea island by ferry if you've got the money to spare which is a nice day out.

Downsides of the halls is that everything stank of weed when I was there. And when I say everything I mean literally everything. Even the water from the pipes smelt of it and if you were unlucky and used the wrong washing machine, your clothes will smell of it too. And your best of keeping your bathroom door shut because of how the ventilation in the building works, it connects like every bathroom in the little area so if some one's smoking it comes in through there. The windows keep out (most) wind and smell though. However one thing to keep in mind is that if you're in the bathroom (or if it's quiet, your bedroom) you can hear your flatmates through the ventilation thing in the bathroom. So if you've got some one over you might uh, want to close your bathroom door.
    And if you have abhorrent flatmates like I did you are stuck for options in terms of moving, I had to go to a post grad flat at the extra cost because they wouldn't let me break my contract with them to move elsewhere, and the other Unite halls had no other offerings.
    There's no security cameras in the hallways so we had people punch holes in most of the ceiling tiles of one of the floors, and so they were planning on making everyone on that floor pay for it even though the general consensus was it was people from other floors.
    The doors are operated by key cards and there's a master key if you're really stuck, but it costs like £20 to replace the key card and they break easily.
    The staff are nice though, and there's almost always some one on reception. Generally. They'll patrol the building though sometimes.
    No first aiders however, so if you get hurt then better luck next time.

All in all I hated my time in Corfe and wouldn't care if it burnt down, but objectively speaking the facilities weren't that bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.