Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly they keep my brother hanging around for 24 hours telling him they are still considering him, even though he has low grades because there are few applicants to his course Then they keep him hanging on all of today telling him at first, that they are going to offer him a foundation course and he will receive an email shortly about it, the email never came so after being told this 3 times my Dad took matters in hand and phoned them and asked what was going on, he was told that no way on earth could my brother have ever been considered for the course he applied for as his grades were too low. (so why was he kept waiting the first 24 hours always being told this? )
    The email offering the foundation course then did then arrive. (but nowhere did it mention costs in the email)
    In the meantime he'd lost out on 3 clearing offers he had secured, as he really wanted to go to Keele.
    The email told my brother he could go on a general foundation course, which when we looked into has a cost of £5500 that is not able to be funded through student finance.
    So my Dad phoned back again and asked if it was a mistake, they said no. So he asked if my brother could go on a foundation course that could have student finance funding, they gave him another number to ring, each time on hold for at least 30 mins. He rang the new number and was told that my brother couldnt go on any of the foundation courses available to get student finance funding because there were only a few places left and they had decided to put the asking grades right up!! (They are still advertised on ucas tonight asking for 160 points which he well exceeds).
    Then we had to phone the original line again to ask for my brother to be released and they tell us to fill a form in and it will take up to 48 hours! (total of 9 phone calls)
    My brother is left with nothing now and is devastated! My parents are fuming at Keele too.
    It seems to our family that Keele are trying to cash in on peoples misfortunes, they have kept him dangling for so long, (and I believe others too) that they miss their chance for clearing and then offer them, at personal cost, a course that they might just be desperate enough to take and pay for.
    What a disgrace!! I actually recommended Keele to my brother and now I feel awful, I am ashamed that I ever went there!
    This is no way to treat people!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I feel for your brother. I don't think you can let something like this slide, seriously. Take further action and contact the correct authorities, especially somebody at Keele with enough authority to do something about this. Don't contact their admissions, but if possible travel to the university and have the conversation face to face as they are more likely to resolve the issue, and can't hang up.

I wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorthWest)
    I feel for your brother. I don't think you can let something like this slide, seriously. Take further action and contact the correct authorities, especially somebody at Keele with enough authority to do something about this. Don't contact their admissions, but if possible travel to the university and have the conversation face to face as they are more likely to resolve the issue, and can't hang up.

I wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply we do appreciate your comments! Yes we feel like doing something, it wouldnt help my brother but might change things for people next time!

ReputationRep:
    Good news, my brother re-phoned a place that had previously given him an offer which had expired and they still allowed him to put it on ucas and it has now been accepted!
    Phew he has a place after all and it is a course that he wanted to do and has the accreditation too.
    We are over the moon for him now and in spite of Keele's terrible treatment he has come out ok.
    So if anyone has an offer that they wanted but it has expired, it is definitely worth re-ringing just in case!
    Good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saminator)
    Good news, my brother re-phoned a place that had previously given him an offer which had expired and they still allowed him to put it on ucas and it has now been accepted!
    Phew he has a place after all and it is a course that he wanted to do and has the accreditation too.
    We are over the moon for him now and in spite of Keele's terrible treatment he has come out ok.
    So if anyone has an offer that they wanted but it has expired, it is definitely worth re-ringing just in case!
    Good luck to everyone!
    I'm glad you've had a happy ending to a very rough ride. I hope your brother will be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I'm glad you've had a happy ending to a very rough ride. I hope your brother will be happy.
    Thanks for the kind words, Im sure he will be! He looks better already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saminator)
    Thanks for the kind words, Im sure he will be! He looks better already!
    I bet he does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.