Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap transport between Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and Cambridge?? URGENT! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going to be starting at Cambridge University this October (2013) and my boyfriend will be going to uni in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Does anyone know the cheapest way to get between these two places?? Trains seem really expensive, and coaches take forever...I don't know what to do!!! Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MirandaTotinas)
    Hi,

I'm going to be starting at Cambridge University this October (2013) and my boyfriend will be going to uni in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Does anyone know the cheapest way to get between these two places?? Trains seem really expensive, and coaches take forever...I don't know what to do!!! Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated!!!
    Coach is probably the cheapest. You can get train tickets for a decent price if you have a railcard (it's only like £30 for two years or something) and you book in advance though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Coach is probably the cheapest. You can get train tickets for a decent price if you have a railcard (it's only like £30 for two years or something) and you book in advance though.
    Hmmmm the National Express coach between Cambridge and Newcastle is actually quite expensive, between £30-£50 each way, and takes around 8 hours, so that's not great....is there another coach company that does the journey for cheaper/does it quicker?

And the train still seems to be about £30-£50 too each way with a railcard, and takes 4-5 hours about...does anyone know any faster/cheaper train routes between the two places??

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm the National Express coach between Cambridge and Newcastle is actually quite expensive, between £30-£50 each way, and takes around 8 hours, so that's not great....is there another coach company that does the journey for cheaper/does it quicker?

And the train still seems to be about £30-£50 too each way with a railcard, and takes 4-5 hours about...does anyone know any faster/cheaper train routes between the two places??
    No. You need to face the fact that if you want to travel half way across the country, it will set you back a bit of money. £30 sounds quite good to me.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle and Cambridge are a large distance away, so you shouldn't be surprised that it's expensive to travel between them. Personally, I think travelling by train might be your best bet, as though it'll probably be slightly more expensive than travelling by coach, it should be much quicker as you will be able to travel at least some of the way on a speedy main railway line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    No. You need to face the fact that if you want to travel half way across the country, it will set you back a bit of money. £30 sounds quite good to me.
    This. It's considerably less than the cost of petrol for a return trip, and would take at least 4 hours to drive.

Do bear in mind that Cambridge terms are only 8 weeks long, and you will be very busy so it's not likely you'll be able to visit every weekend - plus you have to be careful of the "keeping term" requirements at some colleges. If you go to him once and he comes to yours twice in a term (or vice versa) you could still be seeing each other every two weeks and the cost would not be too astronomical.

ReputationRep:
    Megabus is usually pretty good, i can get from newcastle to birmingham and back for about £20, they take a while though.

ReputationRep:

For trains, it'll probably be about 1hr from Cambridge to London, and then 3hrs from London to Newcastle; so 4hrs is about the fastest its going to be. Unless of course the Government gets its act together, stops dithering and actually builds more High Speed lines. £30-£50 is really cheap, actually...

You need to bear in mind that you're travelling 300 odd miles in a train with a top speed of ~100mph. It's going to take about 3 hours, and then you need to add the time for the Cam-London train which will be much slower. I don't know much about coaches tbh, I never use them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll have to go to London; pretty sure the train passes through Peterborough, where you can change and get the train to Cambridge from there.

Train will probably be the best compromise between cost and time. Railcards get you 1/3rd off and will probably take a good few hours less than the coach.

My boyfriend and I will be 6 hours apart by train when I move to uni. I have a railcard and am taking my car to uni, so we've decided to see each other once every three weeks; once every six weeks he'll fly up to Edinburgh and I'll pick him up and once every six weeks I'll catch the train down to see him. It'll cost about £80 when we do this, but as we're alternating visits it'll be £80 once every six weeks as opposed to £80 every three weeks.

Don't worry - there are always ways

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.