Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got my AS's yesterday:
    ICT -A (Boring subject, but one I'm strong at)
    Business -B (missed out on an A by 1 mark on the unit 2 paper, getting a remark)
    Geography- B (retaking unit 2 next year which brought me down to a B, messed up on an essay question)
    Maths- D (Despise this subject, spent most of my AS studying maths but it's just too stressful, B in C1, C in C2, U in S1) For the sake of my other grades, have to drop it.

I've decided I'm going to drop maths because it's such a pain in the @rse and I feel it brings down my other grades.
    So would ICT, Geog and Business be good enough to get into a comp science course at uni? Even though these 3 don't link at all I think I could get at least ABB with these subjects, and that's what some good uni's want e.g. City Uni London want ABB with at least one tech OR maths subject (I think ICT counts as tech?)

Did anyone else get to do computer science at a decent uni without an A-Level/full A Level in maths?

ReputationRep:
    This isn't what you want to hear, but most universities will want a maths grade.
    The only maths module you cocked up is S1 - if you take M1 and D1 next year and work hard you stand a decent chance of raising your grade to a B. This will open up far more options when choosing the university that's right for you.

To be completely honest though four A levels instead of three is mostly wasted time and I'd recommend you drop either Business or Geography. I can tell that you're opposed to this (and your AS results in them are rather impressive), but in truth, for this course, maths is more important than the other three subjects put together and you shouldn't do anything to jeopardize your maths grade.

ReputationRep:
    ICT will come in handy, but computing is also very distinct to ICT.

Maths is the one most universities look out for is they ask for specific subjects, so as has been mentioned, I'd work on improving that grade. Ask your teachers which maths modules you could pick that'd maximise your chances of improving the grade

ReputationRep:
    I got into an ABB university and had all 5 offers without maths (though I did Computing and a networking course as well). Universities that want AAB and above generally won't look at people who haven't taken maths though. I'd suggest learning some decision/discrete maths modules in your spare time (D1 & D2) as these will be particularly relevant. A fair amount of the universities that don't require maths say that they will teach any relevant theories and concepts in the first year; hence they don't ask for an A level in it. If you make sure that you have a great personal statement and can justify why you think the university will want you (and why you'll succeed on the course), then you'll get the 5 offers you want.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking computer science at uni as well.
    And like you, faced the same decision and i did choose to drop maths
    My results
    A in computing only 20 ums off max marks
    A in economics 5 ums off max marks
    B in physics
    C in maths
    It had to go.. Theres plenty of universities that will take you without maths
    Things to consider-
    What your predicted grades will be with it (might not get any offers with a predicted D)
    If you cant get a B or A in a subject, there is no point in taking it
    Can you take computer science WITH something?
    Can you just go to a university that doesnt want it
    I made my choice, bye bye maths

ReputationRep:
    Drop the business keep the maths… As everyone is saying if you do M and D modules you may do better - I certainly did (if your school/college doesn't teach those modules they may allow you to teach yourself which is perfectly do able with the aid of the internet.

However, it depends on what unis you're looking at. Top unis will CERTAINLY want maths, further maths, computing or physics.

Getting a C in Maths will be better than an A in business, for studying Computing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I question whether you'd enjoy it after getting a D in Maths. It's not that the content overlaps but the way of thinking needed for both is similar.

There are some unis (probably enough to fill 5) who have a good cs course and will take you without a good Maths grade like Kent and Newcastle. But again, do you think you're going to be good at it?

I don't know what you guys are thinking, a C in Maths will absolutely not be better than an A in business. He still won't be able to get into any unis that require Maths with a C but he will have ABB (+/-) for those that don't.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the ITMB degree. It may be more relevant to your options.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.