Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!! I posted before to get some advice on choosing my A-Levels. Currently, I'm being very indecisive and just not sure in general about psychology. I wanted to take, math,further math,biology and psychology. However, a recent conversation got me thinking that ICT would be more valuable to me as everything is being computerised now. I'm going to get a distinction in my ICT as I have scored distinctions in all of my units so I will be allowed to take it.

I was very keen on doing psychology but I wouldn't mind doing ICT either. If I take ICT I plan I'm continuing with it on my A2, in other words, with 4 subjects.

What do you think? Will it be too hard too much pressure?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean ICT or computing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ca9194)
    Do you mean ICT or computing?

I mean ICT. Sorry for the mistake! Btw, is there much of a big difference in computing and ICT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology a-level is extremely boring! It's just sitting learning study after study rather than how the mind works, however, the difficulty level is like that of a GCSE. ICT would probably be more interesting though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blob :))
    I mean ICT. Sorry for the mistake! Btw, is there much of a big difference in computing and ICT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Big difference. ICT was pretty useless when I did it at AS; doubt it'll help unless you're looking into a job in the tech industry. Even then not much was learnt I didn't already know from casual computer usage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry, I can't give you any information about ICT because I didn't take it. I have several friends who took computing and they kept complaining haahha. Basically for computing you have to memorise a ton of stuff (definitions for computer stuff etc) and you learn coding, find bugs in games etc. It can be quite dry (to me since I don't like IT but don't let yourself be swayed by my opinion!!).

I studied psychology (AQA) myself and I found it very interesting. It really helped to develop my analyzing and evaluation skills. I'm not too sure about ICT though since I've never taken it before but you should probably do something that you like and is useful for the course you're going to apply for in university (you can start checking out the university websites for subject requirements).

I think your subject combination will be quite stressful. Psychology with biology would be hell because there will be too much to memorise (AS psychology is slight memorising and application, A2 is more of memorising and evaluation). Further math gets rather intense at A2 too. You seem like a very diligent student though so you might be able to cope with it. It seems like any choice you go with would be content heavy and stressful. You should talk to your teachers in college and ask them for some advice. Browse through textbooks and see if it interests you. Talk to seniors and ask about their personal experience. I'm not very helpful T_T sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holl28)
    Psychology a-level is extremely boring! It's just sitting learning study after study rather than how the mind works, however, the difficulty level is like that of a GCSE. ICT would probably be more interesting though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One of my friend told me that about A level psychology :/ which is quite off putting tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry, I can't give you any information about ICT because I didn't take it. I have several friends who took computing and they kept complaining haahha. Basically for computing you have to memorise a ton of stuff (definitions for computer stuff etc) and you learn coding, find bugs in games etc. It can be quite dry (to me since I don't like IT but don't let yourself be swayed by my opinion!!).

I studied psychology (AQA) myself and I found it very interesting. It really helped to develop my analyzing and evaluation skills. I'm not too sure about ICT though since I've never taken it before but you should probably do something that you like and is useful for the course you're going to apply for in university (you can start checking out the university websites for subject requirements).

I think your subject combination will be quite stressful. Psychology with biology would be hell because there will be too much to memorise (AS psychology is slight memorising and application, A2 is more of memorising and evaluation). Further math gets rather intense at A2 too. You seem like a very diligent student though so you might be able to cope with it. It seems like any choice you go with would be content heavy and stressful. You should talk to your teachers in college and ask them for some advice. Browse through textbooks and see if it interests you. Talk to seniors and ask about their personal experience. I'm not very helpful T_T sorry!
    Computing sounds interesting from what you've said. I'm not sure about what course I want to do at uni yet, most probably math related.hmmm..I might drop psychology at A2 if I don't like it. I'm generally good in memorising things so I'm not that scared :/ you are helpful!! Thank you for your answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is irrelevant if you want to do something math related. I guess it's quite dry at AS but it's more interesting at A2 when you actually start to analyse and evaluate theories.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is irrelevant if you want to do something math related. I guess it's quite dry at AS but it's more interesting at A2 when you actually start to analyse and evaluate theories.
    I said most probably. I'm still not completely sure that's why took biology and psychology as a back up :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly speaking, psychology and ICT aren't usually listed as required subjects for most courses. They still focus a lot on maths and sciences so you can go to pretty much any course if you choose carefully. With your current combination, you can get into maths, biology (you have a slight disadvantage since you don't have chemistry) courses etc but it is unlikely that you can get into engineering courses (since you don't take physics). You have to be clear of which courses you can choose and which courses you can't choose in future.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly speaking, psychology and ICT aren't usually listed as required subjects for most courses. They still focus a lot on maths and sciences so you can go to pretty much any course if you choose carefully. With your current combination, you can get into maths, biology (you have a slight disadvantage since you don't have chemistry) courses etc but it is unlikely that you can get into engineering courses (since you don't take physics). You have to be clear of which courses you can choose and which courses you can't choose in future.
    Thank you the last part was very helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I were to describe the state of the ICT courses offered being akin to an A Level in the use of the Microsoft Office suite would you still be interested in taking it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.