Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

basically im choosing biology , chemistry and maths AS level in september but i need another option.

psychology or economics?

also can you telle what the courses are like, eg what skills are required.

i want to study microbiology at university.

If you have another recommendation, please advice me! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mmm which out of the two do you like the two do you like best? Psychology or Economics? Do whatever you find the most interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you don't really need psychology or economics if you want to study microbiology so you can just choose the subject you like more. Psychology and economics are pretty similar in the sense that they're both content heavy and require analytical and evaluation skills. Both subjects require you to write essays so ... the question is do you prefer studying about the mind or how the economy operates?

ReputationRep:
    chem,bio, and maths is enough for you to get in to microbiology at uni. don't take on another a level, unless you want to do further math

edit: people that do 4th a level tend to drop it after doing the as. also don't do something too hard for the 4th a level, maybe a language that you already know? chosing economics sounds completely random....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    chem,bio, and maths is enough for you to get in to microbiology at uni. don't take on another a level, unless you want to do further math

edit: people that do 4th a level tend to drop it after doing the as. also don't do something too hard for the 4th a level, maybe a language that you already know? chosing economics sounds completely random....
    i need another one at AS.

ReputationRep:
    Which subjects do not require essay writing?

ReputationRep:
    go on university websites and look at what subjects they want however bio,chem,math,further maths is a great combo

also those subjects don't require too much essay writing, although you may need to do an essay for biology.

economics involves a lot of writing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    go on university websites and look at what subjects they want however bio,chem,math,further maths is a great combo

also those subjects don't require too much essay writing, although you may need to do an essay for biology.

economics involves a lot of writing
    theres no way i can do further maths. Maths is hard as it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youdontneedtokno)
    theres no way i can do further maths. Maths is hard as it is

well then don't do a 4th a level lol, and if you're going to do one make sure it's related to what you want to study

ReputationRep:
    All I'm saying is a lot of people got A's in Psychology, but said it's boring

ReputationRep:
    I just cant make up my mind about which 4th AS i should do and its compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should try Physics AS, or something related to the life sciences.
    Although I wouldn't recommend Physics to someone who finds math hard...
    Physics in AS is mostly equations and formulae.

Maybe something like Human Biology or a language might work.

Note: DO NOT EVER TAKE PSYCHOLOGY. It's not what it sounds like. Don't think it's about stuff like lie detectors. Tons of case studies and 110% essays :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im not good at physics and i hate it. I havent done any languages. Any orher recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    where do you guys get your suits from and i need some clothes advice

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

basically im choosing biology , chemistry and maths AS level in september but i need another option.

psychology or economics?

also can you telle what the courses are like, eg what skills are required.

i want to study microbiology at university.

If you have another recommendation, please advice me! Thanks
    Hi, btw do you know which exam board Psychology is at your sixth form?

I know the person above me told you not to take Psychology but hear me out lol . If it's OCR then it's not too bad. I'm guessing next year you'll drop 1 of your AS subjects and that's likely to be Psych/Econ right? If that's the case AS Psychology is pretty easy. I got a B in AS Psych without too much hard work, like I did for Chem and Bio.

If your school is doing OCR Psychology, then basically the 1st exam is just about designing a Practical. You don't need to know theory stuff but just the key words/points and use them properly in the exam (Really Easy). The 2nd exam is a little harder, you get given 12 studies, carried out by Psychologist. You need to learn all the points, aims, ethics, evaluations ect about those 12 studies. It's not too hard if you just make the notes in class.

I also did AS Economics and didn't do too well in it. Economics requires a lot of work, (at least for me, it did). I would advice you choose Psychology because some of the modules may interest you, especially the Physiological Psychology part.

Ask me if you want more info .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gogo122)
    Hi, btw do you know which exam board Psychology is at your sixth form?

I know the person above me told you not to take Psychology but hear me out lol . If it's OCR then it's not too bad. I'm guessing next year you'll drop 1 of your AS subjects and that's likely to be Psych/Econ right? If that's the case AS Psychology is pretty easy. I got a B in AS Psych without too much hard work, like I did for Chem and Bio.

If your school is doing OCR Psychology, then basically the 1st exam is just about designing a Practical. You don't need to know theory stuff but just the key words/points and use them properly in the exam (Really Easy). The 2nd exam is a little harder, you get given 12 studies, carried out by Psychologist. You need to learn all the points, aims, ethics, evaluations ect about those 12 studies. It's not too hard if you just make the notes in class.

I also did AS Economics and didn't do too well in it. Economics requires a lot of work, (at least for me, it did). I would advice you choose Psychology because some of the modules may interest you, especially the Physiological Psychology part.

Ask me if you want more info .
    it is aqa A spec...is that boring?

http://www.loreto.ac.uk/courses

ReputationRep:
    it is aqa A spec...is that boring?

http://www.loreto.ac.uk/courses
    Well im not 100% sure, but by the looks of it it's very similar to the OCR course too. It's up to you tbh, I still reckon someone interested in life science may find Psychology more interesting than Economics.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do microbiology at uni. Will doing graphics or 3d design jeopardise it. Only for AS tho.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is more related to your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do either, and take General Studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.