Mature students doing a second degree

Watch
This discussion is closed.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
What is the situation/chances of getting into Cambridge as a 'mature student' doing a second degree?

Say if someone has a degree in Maths and wants to do another in English, is it easier to get into Cambridge than for a first degree, and would you need to do full A levels in humanities to be considered?
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
What is the situation/chances of getting into Cambridge as a 'mature student' doing a second degree?

Say if someone has a degree in Maths and wants to do another in English, is it easier to get into Cambridge than for a first degree, and would you need to do full A levels in humanities to be considered?
I think it counts in your favour to have a degree, sincethe main concern of the colleges is to admit those with the potential to complete the education. The problem is that you will be a mature student, but the fact that you will have done something meaningful with your time will probably offset that. I am a mature student currently reading law, and I have just accepted an offer to read Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic at St. John's College. I'm pretty sure that the fact that I will have a degree when I get there helped me, since my grades weren't hugely impressive, but then I'm Danish so you probably can't conclude anything very definite from my situation. You are welcome to ask any questions that you think I can answer.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
I think it counts in your favour to have a degree, sincethe main concern of the colleges is to admit those with the potential to complete the education. The problem is that you will be a mature student, but the fact that you will have done something meaningful with your time will probably offset that. I am a mature student currently reading law, and I have just accepted an offer to read Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic at St. John's College. I'm pretty sure that the fact that I will have a degree when I get there helped me, since my grades weren't hugely impressive, but then I'm Danish so you probably can't conclude anything very definite from my situation. You are welcome to ask any questions that you think I can answer.
Thanks.
The next question is about funding/fees. Do you pay full tuition fees as it is your second degree - are UK/EU students treated on the same basis regarding costs?
Have StJohn's insisted on class of first degree to be obtained for admission? (I see you are still an undergraduate)
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Thanks.
The next question is about funding/fees. Do you pay full tuition fees as it is your second degree - are UK/EU students treated on the same basis regarding costs?
Have StJohn's insisted on class of first degree to be obtained for admission? (I see you are still an undergraduate)
I haven't applied to the DfES (or whatever) yet, since I 've only just got the form. I think (hope) that I won't have to pay full fees since I didn't take my first degree in the UK, but British students probably will. Under EU-law, member states are prohibited from restricting acces for foreign students, so I think EU and UK students are treated exactly the same financially. The only difference I know of is that only UK students are eligible for the Isaac Newton bursary-thingy.

My offer from St. John's was unconditional, and since I applied on the basis of my A-level-equivelant results, my Law degree was never specifically mentioned as a criteria as such. That being said, in Denmark we don't get 1/2/3 class degrees, so they would have had a hard time converting my results. They did ask during the interview how I had done, but never asked to see a certificate or similar. Basically, I just applied like any other undergraduate. I simply had a (potential) law degree as an "extra".

Have you considered applying as an affiliated student? That way I think you can do a second degree in two years, possibly with a bit of financial back-up. However, there are very few such places available so I wouldn't really recommend it.
way2go
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

I will also be applying for a second degree as a mature student. From what I have heard, it is pretty tough to get in. They expect you to have obtained a first class degree or equivalent from a good university. Furthermore, you are less likely to be admitted for a science degree than for an arts degree.

With regards to funding: you are elibible for remission on your tuition fees if you have not attended a British university before. So if your degree is from a uni outside the UK, you can apply at Dfes for financial assistance.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.14%
No (517)
65.86%

Watched Threads