The Student Room Group

Depressed from clearing/dilemma

Basically I didn't get into my firm, which was UCL, and I had no insurance. I had an offer of AAB and I achieved AAC. I got an A in Chemistry, Maths, and a C in Economics. Im not unhappy with my results and in fact I'm quite proud of them especially the A in Maths; however the C in Economics is holding me back so much.

AAC is one of the worst combination of grades you could get. With the cap being ABB, AAC is useless. When I phoned one uni to display my interest in one of their courses in clearing they asked me for my grades. I told them my grades and the uni rejected me straight away saying they do not accept anyone with C grades. The most frustrating thing was they did not even ask me what subjects I achieved the grades in. They wanted ABB including Chemistry just to make matters clear. Economics was in no way related to the course too.

Clearing so far has been a horrible experience, its basically something for people who has ABB or higher. I would not say my grades are bad, but I just feel that many people who has got ABB in less respectable subjects than me are getting places that I would not have a chance getting simply because they have ABB.

Now I have an offer from Sheffield to study Chemistry, but I feel I could do better. Im unsure whether I should go to Sheffield or spend another year in college, but if I spend a year in college what should I study? If I was to spend an extra year in college I would only try and improve my Economics grade since I already have 2A's in the other subjects. To qualify as a full time student I have to study at least study 3 subjects. There will be little point in studying AS subjects since I doubt they would form a part of an offer if I was to apply next year. The only subject I thought I could do was Further Maths as I could get a whole A-Level in a year. If I do an extra year a lot of problems will come with it too e.g No January exams next year, unis might give me higher offers, I cannot guarantee getting better results for economics, and I don't know if I could get a good grade for Further Maths especially when I'll have to do all 6 maths exams in the summer.

I thought to myself that I could do well in my first year in Sheffield then transfer universities, but then I realised that it would be such a hard thing to do since the chemistry modules at Sheffield are quite unique and it will have to be similar to the modules the university I want to transfer to are offering. Not to mention that some may be strict on their A-Level requirements.

Basically those are the only options I have and I think I have evaluated them quite throughly. Im in a dilemma. Can anyone give me any advice or just their opinion? It will be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Take a year out, do some volunteering and travelling. Pay to resit the one exam, but not enrol at college again. Call UCL and ask their opinion, and then go off that? That's what I'd do anyway :smile:
Reply 2
It depends how much you want to go to uni. Like me, I really want to go, so a gap year is not even an option for me! I went to an open day at Sheffield, really nice people there, great accommodation, good facilities, I personally like the city there more than London, etc. But many graduate jobs do have a minimum grade of AAB or something like that so its something to think about.
Reply 3
Now I have an offer from Sheffield to study Chemistry, but I feel I could do better.

Sheffield is an excellent university
The guardian has them at 20 in their tables (UCL are 15) for chemistry

I thought to myself that I could do well in my first year in Sheffield then transfer universities

This is always dodgy - more so because of the issues that you mention

Basically those are the only options I have and I think I have evaluated them quite throughly. Im in a dilemma. Can anyone give me any advice or just their opinion? It will be greatly appreciated.

My opinion would be "go to Sheffield"
Seriously, Sheffield is a great university and a great city. A chemistry degree from there will set you up very well - don't feel disheartened, just go for it!
Reply 5
Original post by hothedgehog
Seriously, Sheffield is a great university and a great city. A chemistry degree from there will set you up very well - don't feel disheartened, just go for it!

Agreed.

If not you could always retake one or more economics modules & reapply next year. A friend from school did that as she was disappointed with her physics mark & it shut a lot of doors for the course she wanted. So she retook & reapplied, getting the Uni offer she wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield is a fantastic university and a great city. Could you see yourself being happy there? If so, I'd take the offer and prepare myself for a good three years.

The problem with Clearing is that you are a) making a decision about the next three years in a very short space of time, and b) it was a decision that you realistically expected to not have to make. It requires you to have a bit of clarity at a time when you're unlikely to be able to do so!
Original post by Nitrogen
Basically I didn't get into my firm, which was UCL, and I had no insurance. I had an offer of AAB and I achieved AAC. I got an A in Chemistry, Maths, and a C in Economics. Im not unhappy with my results and in fact I'm quite proud of them especially the A in Maths; however the C in Economics is holding me back so much.

AAC is one of the worst combination of grades you could get. With the cap being ABB, AAC is useless. When I phoned one uni to display my interest in one of their courses in clearing they asked me for my grades. I told them my grades and the uni rejected me straight away saying they do not accept anyone with C grades. The most frustrating thing was they did not even ask me what subjects I achieved the grades in. They wanted ABB including Chemistry just to make matters clear. Economics was in no way related to the course too.

Clearing so far has been a horrible experience, its basically something for people who has ABB or higher. I would not say my grades are bad, but I just feel that many people who has got ABB in less respectable subjects than me are getting places that I would not have a chance getting simply because they have ABB.

Now I have an offer from Sheffield to study Chemistry, but I feel I could do better. Im unsure whether I should go to Sheffield or spend another year in college, but if I spend a year in college what should I study? If I was to spend an extra year in college I would only try and improve my Economics grade since I already have 2A's in the other subjects. To qualify as a full time student I have to study at least study 3 subjects. There will be little point in studying AS subjects since I doubt they would form a part of an offer if I was to apply next year. The only subject I thought I could do was Further Maths as I could get a whole A-Level in a year. If I do an extra year a lot of problems will come with it too e.g No January exams next year, unis might give me higher offers, I cannot guarantee getting better results for economics, and I don't know if I could get a good grade for Further Maths especially when I'll have to do all 6 maths exams in the summer.

I thought to myself that I could do well in my first year in Sheffield then transfer universities, but then I realised that it would be such a hard thing to do since the chemistry modules at Sheffield are quite unique and it will have to be similar to the modules the university I want to transfer to are offering. Not to mention that some may be strict on their A-Level requirements.

Im in such a similar situation to you! I missed my Law offers for Bristol/Exeter (AAB) because I got ABB. I've had my heart set on going to both of those places for the whole two years of A Levels. However, I got into Sheffield to do Law but I'm not satisfied.

Don't get me wrong, Sheffield is an amazing university but if I'm going to university I want it to feel like an achievement rather than a compromise because I couldn't go where I want to. All my family think I'm crazy for even debating whether I should go or not. I think I'm going to go but I'm also seriously considering re-taking a year.
Reply 8
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Chemistry Sheffield seems a pretty above standard uni according to this table. And on the way up too! I think I would take me and my fabulous grades and head there. Good luck whatever you decide.
Reply 9
Original post by i-love-coffee
Im in such a similar situation to you! I missed my Law offers for Bristol/Exeter (AAB) because I got ABB. I've had my heart set on going to both of those places for the whole two years of A Levels. However, I got into Sheffield to do Law but I'm not satisfied.

Don't get me wrong, Sheffield is an amazing university but if I'm going to university I want it to feel like an achievement rather than a compromise because I couldn't go where I want to. All my family think I'm crazy for even debating whether I should go or not. I think I'm going to go but I'm also seriously considering re-taking a year.

You've pulled the words out of my mouth. I just feel a down because I didnt get in where I wanted to go. Of course sheffield is a great uni, but I dont see myself really wanting to go there. I dont think my family wants me to do an extra year though :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
Sheffield is an excellent university
The guardian has them at 20 in their tables (UCL are 15) for chemistry

This is always dodgy - more so because of the issues that you mention

My opinion would be "go to Sheffield"

Thank you, I do value your opinion. I do know Sheffield is a great uni, but I dont know whether I would be happy there.
Reply 11
Original post by rockrunride
Sheffield is a fantastic university and a great city. Could you see yourself being happy there? If so, I'd take the offer and prepare myself for a good three years.

The problem with Clearing is that you are a) making a decision about the next three years in a very short space of time, and b) it was a decision that you realistically expected to not have to make. It requires you to have a bit of clarity at a time when you're unlikely to be able to do so!

Thank you for your advice. My problem is exactly as you say. I still havent even gotten over the fact that I didnt get into my firm and now I have to decide where I want to study for the next 3 years.
Thank you, I do value your opinion. I do know Sheffield is a great uni, but I dont know whether I would be happy there.

I have only two things to add to this. Firstly, another 'Sheffield is a great uni' comment, because it is, and it's my home town as well, and secondly, you seem to be answering your own question. If all these answers are making you still say you don't think you'll be happy there, then you have made your mind up, really, haven't you?

FWIW I'd take Sheffield like a shot.

Are you close enough to go and spend a few days there over the next couple of weeks -just to hang out and see how it fits

It is easy to let the "I did not get my firm" blues drag you down
Thank you for your advice. My problem is exactly as you say. I still havent even gotten over the fact that I didnt get into my firm and now I have to decide where I want to study for the next 3 years.

If it's of any interest, Sheffield has been the most applied to university from my last two tutor groups (taking over from Leeds, in case you're interested) and I can't remember any of them coming back from an open day being anything other than thrilled and excited about going there.
You've pulled the words out of my mouth. I just feel a down because I didnt get in where I wanted to go. Of course sheffield is a great uni, but I dont see myself really wanting to go there. I dont think my family wants me to do an extra year though :frown:

Exactly the same as me. Went out with my friends last night to 'celebrate' but I felt like I had nothing to celebrate, all I had was a compromised university place because I couldn't attend my firm. I probably don't help myself by also going on twitter and reading that lots of my friends have got into Bristol/Exeter.

To be honest, I've been pretty sad/depressed for the past couple days and really hating the thought of doing a re-take year. However, today after getting an accommodation offer and researching a lot about sheffield employment statistics I'm actually starting to look forward to it. :smile: there are so many friendly people and societies to join. I also hear myself moaning 'oh yeah I got into Sheffield to do Law but I'm not happy' and I just get annoyed with myself, I sound ridiculous. I think I'm so caught up in the league table bubble.

What are you going to do in the end? I've decided to just go to Sheffield, I don't want to/can't be bothered to do a re-take year... I'm forever going to have a chip on my shoulder about Bristol/Exeter but there is nothing I can do. But I totally get how you feel, today is the only day since results that I've actually felt mildly happy about going to university.
Exactly the same as me. Went out with my friends last night to 'celebrate' but I felt like I had nothing to celebrate, all I had was a compromised university place because I couldn't attend my firm. I probably don't help myself by also going on twitter and reading that lots of my friends have got into Bristol/Exeter.

To be honest, I've been pretty sad/depressed for the past couple days and really hating the thought of doing a re-take year. However, today after getting an accommodation offer and researching a lot about sheffield employment statistics I'm actually starting to look forward to it. :smile: there are so many friendly people and societies to join. I also hear myself moaning 'oh yeah I got into Sheffield to do Law but I'm not happy' and I just get annoyed with myself, I sound ridiculous. I think I'm so caught up in the league table bubble.

What are you going to do in the end? I've decided to just go to Sheffield, I don't want to/can't be bothered to do a re-take year... I'm forever going to have a chip on my shoulder about Bristol/Exeter but there is nothing I can do. But I totally get how you feel, today is the only day since results that I've actually felt mildly happy about going to university.
I know that's how it feels now, but I would put money on it that by the end of the first month, you won't be able to imagine yourself anywhere else as long as you are prepared to give it a try.
Reply 17
I had an offer at Sheffield for Chemistry this year. I wouldn't hesitate at accepting it if I was in your position. It's a very strong department at a really awesome uni. I would be there if I didn't get my firm this year (I did get in thankfully) and I wouldn't be sad about that at all. It was towards the top of my list and I checked out most of the Russell group unis.
Reply 18

Definitely know what you mean!
Sheffield is a very good uni though, so be pleased! You have great results! Well done :smile:
Reply 19

Although I am not probably qualified to really post on this - bearing in mind I have just completely failed my AS levels. In the past two days I have spent a lot of time with my Deputy Head. I have witnessed the comings and goings of numerous pupils with similar problems - can i ask how close are you to a B? If its only a few marks would you consider a priority remark? Its not too late. Alternatively get your script back and see where you went wrong and look at how you could rectify this and spend time doing something constructive towards your course. Speak to the uni and see if they might defer your entry if you hit the grade or, alternatively get an adjustment through remark. Its only an option though. However Sheffield is a great uni and believe me when I say I dream of your grades. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending