Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! My brother failed his AS levels! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it was results day for him, it was very hard for him to do as the subjects he did were not his favorite and he was pressured by his mum and dad.

When he got his AS levels, he felt as if his life was over, he was shamed by his dad almost kicked out and my mum didn't want to argue for him to stay. He (my brother) decided he will work and work to his best however he did this before his exams and he got bad grades and now he confessed to me, he didn't want to do medicine or sciences in the first place and now he feels all his hard work gone down the drain.

He also gave up all electronic luxuries however later today, I saw him on my phone (interesting as he was never on my phone) and I asked him why, he said "nothing" so i checked the browser history as nothing else was touched and to my horror i discovered searches for suicide.

I confronted him about it talk it through with him but he said he had these 'urges' to do this for a long time but increase rapidly through his first year at college. I try to convince him otherwise and he said sure but i'm not convinced that he is through it.

Can anybody help me? Please! I'm only fifteen in secondary school myself and i don't want my parents to find out! I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggee Boy)
    Okay, it was results day for him, it was very hard for him to do as the subjects he did were not his favorite and he was pressured by his mum and dad.

When he got his AS levels, he felt as if his life was over, he was shamed by his dad almost kicked out and my mum didn't want to argue for him to stay. He (my brother) decided he will work and work to his best however he did this before his exams and he got bad grades and now he confessed to me, he didn't want to do medicine or sciences in the first place and now he feels all his hard work gone down the drain.

He also gave up all electronic luxuries however later today, I saw him on my phone (interesting as he was never on my phone) and I asked him why, he said "nothing" so i checked the browser history as nothing else was touched and to my horror i discovered searches for suicide.

I confronted him about it talk it through with him but he said he had these 'urges' to do this for a long time but increase rapidly through his first year at college. I try to convince him otherwise and he said sure but i'm not convinced that he is through it.

Can anybody help me? Please! I'm only fifteen in secondary school myself and i don't want my parents to find out! I don't know what to do.
    Hi there,

I'm sorry that I've only just seen this thread.

If your brother is suicidal then it may be beneficial for him to talk. If he is not open to talking to you then an option may be to point him in the directions of the Samaritans who are charity open 24/7. He can call them, he can text or he can even email them. If he wont contact them then maybe you can call them and then shove the phone in his hand.

You are far too young to deal with this on your own and it's not fair for you to do so. Telling your parents may be helpful. However, if your parents are not supportive of him and do not care other options would be to search for your local MIND charity and go with him there to talk to someone in person.

ReputationRep:
    As above suggested: You can also talk to someone, support groups or help lines. It is not only for those who are in trouble, but also for those caring for someone, who is in trouble. That means, you can still think about how and when it is best to speak to your parents, on the other hand you get already support and are no alone.

I think the most important thing you can do, is to support your brother and take more care for him, than you would before. Show him, that you bother. In the long run, you should talk to him, wether he should seek help. You can also figure out, where to go, if the situation aggravates and where he can go. Something like working out an emergency plan.

Maybe informing a very close friend of your brother, to look at him and be extra cautious?

Take care of you and your brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggee Boy)

Firstly, i suggest you take him to a doctor ASAP

(Original post by rickfloss)
    Firstly, i suggest you take him to a doctor ASAP
    I myself once felt like her brother and it did nothing to help all the GP's and psychologist were very useless making it worse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.