Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me decide! Watch

• View Poll Results: Edinburgh or Nottingham
    Edinburgh
    40.00%
    Nottingham
    60.00%

ReputationRep:
    Which will be better, nottingham or edinburgh? I am an international student, so can't really visit the universities or anything. The course I am doing is Economics for which I have been told that nottingham is better but then edinburgh is considered more prestigious and it seems to be a better city. Can anyone please guide me especially about the student life and nightlife in the two cities? I need to make the decision fast as I need to apply for my visa too. Thanks in advance!

Bw I got a 2000 pound scholarship from Nottingham but its only for the first year. Nor do I mind the four year course of Edinburgh. My A Level results are AABB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowPenn)
    Which will be better, nottingham or edinburgh? I am an international student, so can't really visit the universities or anything. The course I am doing is Economics for which I have been told that nottingham is better but then edinburgh is considered more prestigious and it seems to be a better city. Can anyone please guide me especially about the student life and nightlife in the two cities? I need to make the decision fast as I need to apply for my visa too. Thanks in advance!

Bw I got a 2000 pound scholarship from Nottingham but its only for the first year. Nor do I mind the four year course of Edinburgh. My A Level results are AABB.
    I'd suggest you think about what 'better' really means to you. Course content? Employment prospects? Contacts with the industry/networking opportunities? Student Satisfaction?

If you want to find out about student life in those two unis, check out the uni-specific sites in this forum - there'll be plenty of information there.

ReputationRep:

I would also suggest reading the reviews on whatuni.com

You can filter by course and read good and bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Nottingham has a great reputation (though may not be for Eco)
    The city is vibrant and is a real "student city" because of the 2 universities
    It is central England with an excellent travel network (M1 airport etc)

I do not know much about Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    I went to Nottingham and really did not like it. Its because the business and economics school are on a separate campus AWAY from the main campus, and it is very small and secluded with its own small sport centers, cafe, etc. It just did not seem right. The accommodation seemed very average there as well. It depends, if you don't want to be around 1000's of people all the time, then it might be for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiepvfc)
    I went to Nottingham and really did not like it. Its because the business and economics school are on a separate campus AWAY from the main campus, and it is very small and secluded with its own small sport centers, cafe, etc. It just did not seem right. The accommodation seemed very average there as well. It depends, if you don't want to be around 1000's of people all the time, then it might be for you.

Are you sure about that? Cause I heard the school of economics is on university park, which is the main campus.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure about that? Cause I heard the school of economics is on university park, which is the main campus.
    Business is on the Jubilee campus

Economics is on the main campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I'd suggest you think about what 'better' really means to you. Course content? Employment prospects? Contacts with the industry/networking opportunities? Student Satisfaction?

If you want to find out about student life in those two unis, check out the uni-specific sites in this forum - there'll be plenty of information there.
    The latter three. Course content wise I was initially leaning towards Nottingham but now after looking at both again, they seem on par. Would like to work in the UK for some time before heading back to my own country. And I might want to have a career in IB, I know that both are outside the top 5 but with which would I have a greater chance assuming I get a 1st along with good eca?

ReputationRep:
    The latter three. Course content wise I was initially leaning towards Nottingham but now after looking at both again, they seem on par. Would like to work in the UK for some time before heading back to my own country. And I might want to have a career in IB, I know that both are outside the top 5 but with which would I have a greater chance assuming I get a 1st along with good eca?
    If you get those which university it was won't matter very much. Edinburgh might have the edge, possibly, but I have no evidence for that whatsoever!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry maybe I'm getting confused :P I liked the students union and the parks surrounding it, but I think Edinburgh has the edge

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.