Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I recently got my AS results back, and I wasn't very happy with them. I got

B - Chemistry
    C - Biology
    A - Maths
    A - Psychology (dropping into A2)

Obviously I am going to be doing retakes in Bio and Chem, but they now won't be until June next year.

I'm worried that my predicted grades won't be high enough for Med school, due to these results. Do I realistically still have a chance, or should I consider other options? And if I don't get into medical school next year, are there any other routes to do medicine/become a doctor?

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    you can get in to biomedical science for 3 years then do postgraduate medicine for 4 years.

edit: i got in to hull biomedical science. entry requirement was 280 ucas points. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alina_aa)
    Hey all,

I recently got my AS results back, and I wasn't very happy with them. I got

B - Chemistry
    C - Biology
    A - Maths
    A - Psychology (dropping into A2)

Obviously I am going to be doing retakes in Bio and Chem, but they now won't be until June next year.

I'm worried that my predicted grades won't be high enough for Med school, due to these results. Do I realistically still have a chance, or should I consider other options? And if I don't get into medical school next year, are there any other routes to do medicine/become a doctor?

Thanks !
    Predicted grades

If you have extenuating circumstances, your teachers may be more lenient with predictions. But the exam boards should have been informed during or just after the exams.

Request your AS summer exam script for Biology, get a teacher and a mark scheme, and go through the paper. See what has gone wrong - exam technique/ more revision/ even terms that are not precise enough. It can be frustrating, but if you can be patient - great.

If you don't get into medical school

You might be able to pull it off, you never know! If you decide to apply for medicine, definitely worth reflecting on your grades in your personal statement. Also, please remember that there are lots of other equally important factors - UKCAT/BMAT/personal statement/work experience.

If you don't get any interviews/ offers, first of all ask for feedback. If it can be mended (e.g. better interview technique), and you get AAA at A2 results day, and you still want to be a doc, you could do a gap year and reapply. Once you have the grades, I suppose admissions tutors won't see you as 'risky'. Plus, you'll have more experience than the people in the year below.

If you decide not to apply for medicine, you can still get into medicine. There is graduate entry for those holding a degree. I think all science degrees are acceptable, but do check if they accept people with a humanities degree. But as far as I am aware there are no student loans available for grad medics, so it can be tricky.

The information is quite fragmented, sorry, but I hope it helps you get started with research.

Good luck, and don't get too disheartened. It is a tough system, no matter what politicians say.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was in a very similar situation to yourself ths time last year (and have just collected my A level results) - I posted what happened on a different thread & because it was so long I've just copied and pasted it...

Sorry for the length of the post - but it just gets everything in :-) just thought I'd let you know of my experiences over the past couple of years.

I've always wanted to become a doctor, for as long as I could remember. My dad is a doctor, and my grandad before him. And both of them love/ed their jobs

When I got to college I was really looking forward to doing something new and exciting with the the intention of going to medical school September 2013... Unfortunately things didnt quite work out.

Six weeks in, as a new student my tutor dropped the bombshell that - to quote him, "you're predicted good grades, but not medical school grades so what else are you going to do" I was predicted BBBBB in my subjects at AS.

That really got to me! - my tutor had told me that essentially my dream was dead :-( and throughout the year he kept reminding me of the fact that I hadn't been predicted the necessary grades for medical school.

I had achieved decent GCSE's - A and A* s and had felt confident that I would be able to attain similar grades in the coming two years.

By the end of the first year I had the following results:

Biology A
    Chemistry B
    Physics C
    Maths C
    Computing C

And most of these grades were 'only just' a C, seriously close to a D

Not exactly medical school grades. Needless to say I was pretty peed off with myself... But knowing that I had the chance to redeem myself in the second year gave me a small amount of hope.

So, in September - having completed my UKCAT test and achieved well over average scores I went round my teachers to find out what my predicted grades were. The first person I went to was my chemistry teacher. He told me that my predicted grade was a B.... And I was like - I'm wanting to apply for medical school, can't you predict me an A?

No.

And that was it. No medical school application from me in September 2012.

And heck did that upset me

So I started working every moment of every day - I had to resit a few modules from AS, as well as the new A2 modules in January...

And in January.... I did better than in June 2012, but they still weren't good enough - few B's and a couple of A's

So I worked even harder, one last shot.... Turned my phone off, shut down my laptop and locked myself in my room, and took regular 10min breaks.

Got my results today AAA - in biology, chemistry and maths...

So I guess the point of me writing all this is coz I wish I could have known that even at the end of AS, with the results I had, I would still achieve "medical school grades". And that ultimately.... My tutor was wrong

So I'm going to apply this September... And get a tonne of work experience this year :-)

I've not had the greatest couple of years, but in the end - if you wanna be a doctor, you gotta put the hours in - because that's what you're gonna be doing for the rest of your life.

So basically, what I'm saying is hold onto your dream - and ignore the idiots that try to steal your dream from you. They're only doing it because they didn't achieve their dreams. Never give up :-)

Anyways, have an excellent second year and maybe I'll be in the same class as you in September 2014 :-)

ReputationRep:
    You can always wait until you've retaken the modules and completed A2 before applying if you're worried about predicted grades. As long as you take your modules within the two years med schools don't consider it as a resit so you should be fine to do that. They mind if it takes you three years to retake your a levels.

ReputationRep:
    AABC at AS. (Big time underperformance)
    A*A*AA at A2.
    Starting Medicine at Dundee in 3 weeks time.

Short answer: YES

Follow your dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paddy S)
    AABC at AS. (Big time underperformance)
    A*A*AA at A2.
    Starting Medicine at Dundee in 3 weeks time.

Short answer: YES

Follow your dream.
    Paddy! Will I be able to still apply for med for 2014 entry? I'm not sure if grades are good enough... :/ oh and I'm non EU studying in the UK.
    BIO (259/300) - A
    CHEM (240/300) - A just an A! :/
    PHYS (246/300) - A
    MATHS (232/300) - B SUPER DISAPPOINTED! I got A's all year round to find out I get a B in the subject I am most confident in!

IGCSEs:
    Science: A* A*
    Chinese: A*
    Math: A
    Geography: A
    English Literature: B
    English Language: B
    Economics: B
    Art: B
    Spanish: C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmile123)
    Paddy! Will I be able to still apply for med for 2014 entry? I'm not sure if grades are good enough... :/ oh and I'm non EU studying in the UK.
    BIO (259/300) - A
    CHEM (240/300) - A just an A! :/
    PHYS (246/300) - A
    MATHS (232/300) - B SUPER DISAPPOINTED! I got A's all year round to find out I get a B in the subject I am most confident in!

IGCSEs:
    Science: A* A*
    Chinese: A*
    Math: A
    Geography: A
    English Literature: B
    English Language: B
    Economics: B
    Art: B
    Spanish: C
    Of course you can. You got 3As!
    Your GCSEs look fine as long as you apply to the right places and your AS grades look strong. One grade slips isn't going to kill you just make sure you get predicted 3A's or higher. Maybe resit a few modules to consolidate your grades as you will most likely find A2 exams tougher.

Use the medicine section on this website to make sure you apply to the right universities and there's no reason you won't get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paddy S)
    Of course you can. You got 3As!
    Your GCSEs look fine as long as you apply to the right places and your AS grades look strong. One grade slips isn't going to kill you just make sure you get predicted 3A's or higher. Maybe resit a few modules to consolidate your grades as you will most likely find A2 exams tougher.

Use the medicine section on this website to make sure you apply to the right universities and there's no reason you won't get an interview.
    Thank you that just brought my hope up I think I will be appealing/ resitting my math modules.
    One question, How do I get an A* NEXT YEAR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmile123)
    Thank you that just brought my hope up I think I will be appealing/ resitting my math modules.
    One question, How do I get an A* NEXT YEAR?
    For an A* you need a 90% avg in the A2 units alone and an A overall. (That's AS AND A2 combined.)

So for maths specifically you need 90% or higher across C3 and C4 (180/200) and an A overall (480/600).
    If you can achieve the 90% avg at A2 then your AS scores won't matter as long as they are high enough to get you 480/600 overall.

Just to clarify the A overall doesn't apply to each module, you could have B's in the AS modules and still get your A* given you meet the conditions above.

Hope I helped,
    Paddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave3094)
    Hi,
    I was in a very similar situation to yourself ths time last year (and have just collected my A level results) - I posted what happened on a different thread & because it was so long I've just copied and pasted it...

Sorry for the length of the post - but it just gets everything in :-) just thought I'd let you know of my experiences over the past couple of years.

I've always wanted to become a doctor, for as long as I could remember. My dad is a doctor, and my grandad before him. And both of them love/ed their jobs

When I got to college I was really looking forward to doing something new and exciting with the the intention of going to medical school September 2013... Unfortunately things didnt quite work out.

Six weeks in, as a new student my tutor dropped the bombshell that - to quote him, "you're predicted good grades, but not medical school grades so what else are you going to do" I was predicted BBBBB in my subjects at AS.

That really got to me! - my tutor had told me that essentially my dream was dead :-( and throughout the year he kept reminding me of the fact that I hadn't been predicted the necessary grades for medical school.

I had achieved decent GCSE's - A and A* s and had felt confident that I would be able to attain similar grades in the coming two years.

Biology A
    Chemistry B
    Physics C
    Maths C
    Computing C

Not exactly medical school grades. Needless to say I was pretty peed off with myself... But knowing that I had the chance to redeem myself in the second year gave me a small amount of hope.

So, in September - having completed my UKCAT test and achieved well over average scores I went round my teachers to find out what my predicted grades were. The first person I went to was my chemistry teacher. He told me that my predicted grade was a B.... And I was like - I'm wanting to apply for medical school, can't you predict me an A?

No.

So I started working every moment of every day - I had to resit a few modules from AS, as well as the new A2 modules in January...

And in January.... I did better than in June 2012, but they still weren't good enough - few B's and a couple of A's

So I worked even harder, one last shot.... Turned my phone off, shut down my laptop and locked myself in my room, and took regular 10min breaks.

So I guess the point of me writing all this is coz I wish I could have known that even at the end of AS, with the results I had, I would still achieve "medical school grades". And that ultimately.... My tutor was wrong

So I'm going to apply this September... And get a tonne of work experience this year :-)

I've not had the greatest couple of years, but in the end - if you wanna be a doctor, you gotta put the hours in - because that's what you're gonna be doing for the rest of your life.

So basically, what I'm saying is hold onto your dream - and ignore the idiots that try to steal your dream from you. They're only doing it because they didn't achieve their dreams. Never give up :-)

Anyways, have an excellent second year and maybe I'll be in the same class as you in September 2014 :-)
    This is great has helped me quite alot, I was wondering what you said to your teacher when you asked for your teacher to place your predicted grades as an A instead of a B? as I am hoping to do the same for my Biology and Chemistry, I am hoping to apply for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    omg thats really good... can u plzzzzzzz help me.... i have used the ukcat 600 book and i have done all questions and i did practise test online and i done badlt sooo can u plzzzz gice me sum advise how i can improve plzzzzzzzzzzzzz im really desperate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shajada)
    This is great has helped me quite alot, I was wondering what you said to your teacher when you asked for your teacher to place your predicted grades as an A instead of a B? as I am hoping to do the same for my Biology and Chemistry, I am hoping to apply for Medicine.
    I just asked him what's my predicted grade in chemistry & he said a B... So I explained that I was wanting to apply for medicine and in order for my application to be considered I needed to be predicted an A in chemistry - so would it be possible for you to predict me an A? And he just said based on your AS module results think its unlikely that you'll achieve an A.

After he'd told me that... I just said oh.... Ok.... And walked off :mad: in a rage

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Biology A
    Chemistry B
    Physics C
    Maths C
    Computing C

No.

Hey I got my AS results:
    A-Biology
    B-Chemistry
    B-Maths
    B-English Lit

What advice would u give me in terms of pulling my grades up?
    And which Med Schools would u recommend me applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatsmile1)
    Hey I got my AS results:
    A-Biology
    B-Chemistry
    B-Maths
    B-English Lit

What advice would u give me in terms of pulling my grades up?
    And which Med Schools would u recommend me applying to?

Those are great AS results - you should be proud of them

Obviously my experiences are based on work for bio, chem &maths - I can't really comment on English

Firstly make sure you REALLY understand the content - not just "well I think I understand it" - you need to be able to recall it and fully understand it.

Secondly, past papers. They're really dull & tedious I know. But do them... All of them.... More than once... And use the mark scheme to identify key marking points that come up again and again and again! Also, make a note of topics that come up regularly in exams - and make sure you 110% know the marking points for those questions.

Thirdly, start revision early! - everyone tells you to do it (at least they did at my college) but in my first year I didn't . Well in my second year I started revision.... In September :eek:! Yup, recap your class notes, read the textbook, read different textbooks, use online resources from day 1 (well that's what I did anyway). The the longer the period of time over which you revise the more info you retain. Be sure to know exact definitions too - AQA chemistry (I did AQA) was really keen definitions - and you can lose a few precious marks because you didn't invest time in learning definitions. (I'm not sure about other exam boards - I can only speak from my experience)

Fourth, DO NOT just copy stuff out of a textbook - you'll retain very little info. Instead, read a page or two of the textbook. Shut the textbook and try to write down/ say out loud all the stuff you've just read.

Fifth, remember to take regular breaks. But remember, when you sit down to do work - don't answer texts, calls, tweets, fb messages - use your break time to do all that stuff. Otherwise you'll do less revision than you think you will have done

It takes a lot of discipline and self control - to do work over much more enjoyable things. But work hard and practice makes perfect.

Also, I found it quite useful to read around the subjects we did in class. Broadening knowledge really helps for when they ask the synoptic questions in biology & chemistry.

Here are some useful links you might want to have a quick glance over :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22565912

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Education-...ture/index.htm

http://www.biologymad.com/

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/

Good luck :-) I'm sure if you put the work in you'll do brilliantly

ReputationRep:
    I just asked him what's my predicted grade in chemistry & he said a B... So I explained that I was wanting to apply for medicine and in order for my application to be considered I needed to be predicted an A in chemistry - so would it be possible for you to predict me an A? And he just said based on your AS module results think its unlikely that you'll achieve an A.

After he'd told me that... I just said oh.... Ok.... And walked off :mad: in a rage
    Okay thanks, hopefully my teachers will be more understanding! I'll see what I can do lol

ReputationRep:

Your tutor wasn't wrong about anything - he said you weren't predicted medical school grades, which you weren't. Teachers can only make predictions based on what it realistically seems you'll get according to what you've managed so far. I understand that if you'd been predicted AAA you'd have been able to apply a year earlier than you are doing now, but teachers have a duty to make realistic predictions. If you'd done better in the first place then they would have been able to make the predictions you wanted - as it was, you didn't do well enough. Good job turning it around, but don't be all bitter and blame your teacher(s) for any of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Your tutor wasn't wrong about anything - he said you weren't predicted medical school grades, which you weren't. Teachers can only make predictions based on what it realistically seems you'll get according to what you've managed so far. I understand that if you'd been predicted AAA you'd have been able to apply a year earlier than you are doing now, but teachers have a duty to make realistic predictions. If you'd done better in the first place then they would have been able to make the predictions you wanted - as it was, you didn't do well enough. Good job turning it around, but don't be all bitter and blame your teacher(s) for any of this.
    You raise a fair point about my predicted grades. But the way he told me, at the start of my first year was final - I wasn't going to go to medical school and that was the end of the conversation. There was no point, in his view, me even considering working towards that goal. I knew my grades weren't good enough- what angered me is that my teacher told me I wouldn't become a doctor.

And also, it wasn't my teachers that had predicted my grades - it was a college computer system that had auto generated them based on GCSE results and were generated on the first day I started- so there wasn't any human input.

Ok, using GCSE results may give you a basis on how intelligent someone is, but it doesn't give any indication as to how hard someone has worked to achieve those grades - or how hard someone will work throughout college.

Is it so unrealistic that I could have achieved a grade better than my predicted grades? - I don't think it is - for anyone!

I'm not saying that we should all be wildly optimistic. But I do think that to tell someone (you you've taught for a grand total of about 30 hours) that their achievements will be limited based the results of a computer program, and that they don't stand a cat in hells chance of achieving their dream IS wrong. It's discouraging and demoralising - particularly when said to a student who's just started.

It is this tutor who I am bitter over.

When my chemistry tutor told me I wasn't predicted an A - fair enough, I was angry & upset - but he'd taught me for a year. He knew me better, and could make a more accurate prediction based on my AS results.

I'm not bitter about what he said - because at the time I hadn't shown any real indication that I was capable of achieving an A.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Biology A
    Chemistry B
    Physics C
    Maths C
    Computing C

No.

You are an inspiration. I also saw your post (2 above this) about working hard to pull grades up and even though i got 3'as and a b at AS, i'm not going to be complacent and follow your advice wholeheartedly - THANK YOU DAVE

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.