This discussion is closed.
xXxSamanthaxXx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey there.
I'm 16 and i started my own website a while ago. The reason for that is i like doing fashion design and hope to doo it when i leave school. So i've put some of my designs on a website and i was hoping that youz would look at my designs and then let me know what you yhink. The reason im doin this is i want to improve as much as possible before i hopefully go to uni. So let me know what you think i should or shouldn't be doing. Thank you much

Sam xxx

My site
http://www.fashion.able.freewebspace.com
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xXxSamanthaxXx)
Hey there.
I'm 16 and i started my own website a while ago. The reason for that is i like doing fashion design and hope to doo it when i leave school. So i've put some of my designs on a website and i was hoping that youz would look at my designs and then let me know what you yhink. The reason im doin this is i want to improve as much as possible before i hopefully go to uni. So let me know what you think i should or shouldn't be doing. Thank you much

Sam xxx

My site

I think you should let your imagination run wild. Your designs look like clothes from high street shops mainly, which is fine but they don't really stand out. Look on Google for some pictures from recent fashion shows or big-name designers and see what they're doing. Don't forget, high street style evolves from the catwalk, so the shops will end up with a tamed-down version of your stuff. Don't be afraid to think up some really outrageous stuff just for fun!

The most important thing is to practise. Spend loads of time on your designs, refine them and change colours around to see how they fit. Think about the materials you would use and how they would move as you walk.

For practise, think of a theme to work around. How about doing some 50s-style dresses? I see you're a fan of SATC... How about doing a separate wardrobe each for Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha? This will help you to work some personality into your designs.

Hope this helps!
ToshTrent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey there.

Sam xxx

My site
I agree with Troussers about your designs looking High Street, but nothing wrong with that. I like them. I don't design I buy. Some impressive stuff there Sam.

Ooo secondly who's the model?
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think they are a bit common, what you should add is what fabrics you choose to use. Tru not drawing one outfit, i cant tell what it looks like the whole way round... multiple views and sketches are what you need to do. Just remember, Gianni Versace didnt get to where he did with singular sketches. Next thing, take risks, Christian Dior was not made famous in 1947 by following the norm did he?
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey there.

Sam xxx

My site
The "my designs - most recent 1" had the best designs by far. Original, not just variations on normal high street, Topshop fashions.
Industrial
Report 16 years ago
Originality is everything. Get away from the norm.

You obviously have an eye for taste, step away from what is in and into what will come.

Take the majority of people fitting themselves into the clothes true punks were wearing 20 years ago - the strangest ideas are the ones that eventually take center stage.

Good luck!
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Als maybe try some stuff for other shapes of people?
Little Britain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey there.

Sam xxx

My site
Your designs are good, however I did notice a couple of spelling mistakes.

What is your market? maybe you could ask around your mates and find the sort of stuff they would like. Why not try to develop your own style - truly stylish people can wear anything and look great (i.e. Sarah Jessica Parker), just keep on experimenting.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
good site - the designs are sometimes a bit "high streety" but not necesarily a bad thing. I like your dress ideas
mauri
Report 16 years ago
i agree, their very high street, but it just shows ur aware of style. try something to suit a more challenging frame - after all everything looks great on a size 8 model.
i think we should collaborate and start a really stupid trend (just like trousers with elastic on the end, and tartan trousers). you never know how much money it will make you...
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
good- but not everyone is a size 3 1/2
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.85%
No (508)
66.15%

Watched Threads