Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Undergraduate Degree Classification Should Be Renamed - Discuss Watch

ReputationRep:
    One of the problems with Firsts, 2.1s, 2.2s, etc. is that it only carries a numerical value, but doesn't tell anyone any other meaning beyond it. Master's degrees carry a nominal value as well, such as Distinction, Merit, Pass or Fail. I think that if the undergraduate classification was renamed, it would get rid of doubts whether a holder's degree is actually worth it (take a look at numerous threads on TSR - "Is 2.1 a good degree?" and so forth). Furthermore, if a graduate moves abroad, a nominal value gives its future employer a better sense of their degree, because not everywhere 70 % is considered an extraordinary result.

ReputationRep:
    You are right, especially considering the fact that it is one story to get a 2.1 with an average of 61% and totally another story to get a 2.1 with a 69%, the gap is enormous. I guess these classifications should be ditched all together and just the average mark should count. For differences between countries, there are ways to work out an equivalent, or a GPA - that one seems to work pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are doing a disservice to employers, most will have degrees themselves and will be well aware that 1:1 = A 2:1 = B 2:2 = C and 3:3 =D.. Changing the name simply isn't going to solve anything as the people who ask if 2:1 is good will just ask if a merit is good instead. Again it wont make a difference if you move abroad because your degree still has a nominal value, it is just in numbers rather than a words and changing the name of each classification isn't going to make the percentages look higher to foreign employers and if they're too lazy to do any research into the English system would you really want to work for them anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what difference it makes whether you call it A, B, C and D or First, 2.1, 2.2 or Thrd.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say I wanted to rename it to letters. I thought that, for instance, it could work the same way as Master's degrees. If you move abroad, you just translate the word "merit" and that's it. Numbers are pretty much the same everywhere, but they needn't carry the same meaning.

I initially stated I'm tired of endless threads on the value of 2.1s.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.