Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi , I'm year 12 going into year 13 A2 next year . I wish to do Business Degree or Business & Economics , Most Russsell Group type Uni second tier (ish) seem to want AAA or AAB but Birmingham seems to have loads of places left in clearing for all their Business type Course Business & Economics etc. And the state that they had 1100 applicants in 2011 ? I don't get it. Also on a question about clearing : Can I research a particular Universities clearing information for 2013 after they close clearing and answer the following questions (a) how many clearing places where available for this year on a particular course and (b) what was the entry qualifications that where excepted for the clearing vacancies, or is this a guarded information ? Can I indeed get any info on last years clearing stats for a particular Uni or Course ?Thanks in Adavance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gardan)
    Hi , I'm year 12 going into year 13 A2 next year . I wish to do Business Degree or Business & Economics , Most Russsell Group type Uni second tier (ish) seem to want AAA or AAB but Birmingham seems to have loads of places left in clearing for all their Business type Course Business & Economics etc. And the state that they had 1100 applicants in 2011 ? I don't get it.
    Not everyone who applied and got an offer accepted it. Of those that did, some will have the uni as their insurance choice but they got into their firm and didn't need it.
    Also on a question about clearing : Can I research a particular Universities clearing information for 2013 after they close clearing and answer the following questions (a) how many clearing places where available for this year on a particular course and (b) what was the entry qualifications that where excepted for the clearing vacancies, or is this a guarded information ? Can I indeed get any info on last years clearing stats for a particular Uni or Course ?Thanks in Adavance
    No, the Clearing lists are updated all the time, and when Clearing closes they disappear altogether. In any case, applying on the basis of what went into Clearing last year is a pointless exercise. What courses land up in Clearing varies signficantly from year to year, for one thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Not everyone who applied and got an offer accepted it. Of those that did, some will have the uni as their insurance choice but they got into their firm and didn't need it. No, the Clearing lists are updated all the time, and when Clearing closes they disappear altogether. In any case, applying on the basis of what went into Clearing last year is a pointless exercise. What courses land up in Clearing varies signficantly from year to year, for one thing.
    Thanks Minerva , really quick an helpful , year to year clearing numbers changing makes loads of sense , I just wondered why Birmingham in particular had so many clearing vacancies across all the Business degrees it seems like a lot more than everyone else? Do you have a view or Opinion on Birmingham Uni? Is it a very good Uni for Business degree and how would you say it ranks against other Uni in Business Degree? is there anywhere I could research these questions as well? thanks again . Just one other question not related I suppose but I notice you are very experienced on most things. Is there any possibility at all of getting onto any RG type Uni onto a an Economics degree with AAA results as required without the normal required A in maths as one of the A levels Econ-Bio & Eng Lit say? Perhaps through clearing for instance ....thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Minerva , really quick an helpful , year to year clearing numbers changing makes loads of sense , I just wondered why Birmingham in particular had so many clearing vacancies across all the Business degrees it seems like a lot more than everyone else? Do you have a view or Opinion on Birmingham Uni? Is it a very good Uni for Business degree and how would you say it ranks against other Uni in Business Degree? is there anywhere I could research these questions as well? thanks again . Just one other question not related I suppose but I notice you are very experienced on most things. Is there any possibility at all of getting onto any RG type Uni onto a an Economics degree with AAA results as required without the normal required A in maths as one of the A levels Econ-Bio & Eng Lit say? Perhaps through clearing for instance ....thanks
    Woah :tongue:

Birmingham is a very well-respected uni. I know nothing about its business courses, but you might like to check out the Complete University Guide and Unistats (google them). The first will give you subject rankings, the second a sense of average actual entry grades as opposed to what the unis asked for originally. Remember that these average UCAS scores on entry will include subjects like General Studies that a uni may not have accepted as part of their offer.

If a uni states they require an A in maths for an economics degree it's usually because they know that students without this struggle with their particular course, so they are unlikely to relax this requirement much if at all, assuming they do go into Clearing. Not having maths at A level at all would guarantee instant rejection for such courses.

ReputationRep:

Birmingham is a very well-respected uni. I know nothing about its business courses, but you might like to check out the Complete University Guide and Unistats (google them). The first will give you subject rankings, the second a sense of average actual entry grades as opposed to what the unis asked for originally. Remember that these average UCAS scores on entry will include subjects like General Studies that a uni may not have accepted as part of their offer.

If a uni states they require an A in maths for an economics degree it's usually because they know that students without this struggle with their particular course, so they are unlikely to relax this requirement much if at all, assuming they do go into Clearing. Not having maths at A level at all would guarantee instant rejection for such courses.
    Thanks , I'll do the research you suggested cheers

ReputationRep:

Hey Minerva, need to hold my hand up here, I think I may of been getting confused with Birmingham City and University of Birmingham having clearing spaces....ooops so sorry , I posted the question because I couldn't understand how they had so many clearing spots , Birmingham Uni don't have any clearing places on the course I described I don't think ....such a prat and apologies if anyone thought I was querying Birmingham' s Uni cleary fab reputation ...to many google searches I think , time for a break , soz

ReputationRep:
    Hey Minerva, need to hold my hand up here, I think I may of been getting confused with Birmingham City and University of Birmingham having clearing spaces....ooops so sorry , I posted the question because I couldn't understand how they had so many clearing spots , Birmingham Uni don't have any clearing places on the course I described I don't think ....such a prat and apologies if anyone thought I was querying Birmingham' s Uni cleary fab reputation ...to many google searches I think , time for a break , soz

Do not worry about it

It is good to see that you have begun to seriously look at courses for next year

When you get to the point of applying - learn from today's error

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

Do not worry about it

It is good to see that you have begun to seriously look at courses for next year

When you get to the point of applying - learn from today's error
    yes need to get some rest I think , been a tiring few days for everyone ...silly mistakes can be very costly as we all know. Birmingham Uni will be going back to the high place on my choices spread sheet ,cheers

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.