The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wow someone else got 350, hope we were right 2-350 and about 3 say 500....

Im bated I lost 10 marks or so cuz of stupid mistakes. What you think the grade boundaries are on such an easy paper?
clowes
Yeh I got that wrong cuz Im an idiot, but your have to get like 4 answers...

It was 63.4 and 180+63.4 (shape of tan graph) which was 243.4
Reply 22
Oh ok, what question did you use simultaneous equations on? I cant remember...
Reply 23
miltonkeynes
It was 63.4 and 180+63.4 (shape of tan graph) which was 243.4

that is right, and my graphics calculator prooved it correct during the exam:p: it came in use, as i drew the graph wrong, and the calculator showed my a different area of shading, which i later found out to be the correct one
Answers of mine that I can remember:
Q1 - integration = 14 2/3 units
Q5 - inequalities x>1 x<-5
kinematics - 500 seconds longer
tan identity, 63.4, 243.4

Overall VERY easy in my opinion, last year's was much harder
Reply 25
thanks guys i cant believe this i seriously expected to not be able to answer a single question and so far i seem to have answered quite alot right even the integration one. yay!
calcium878
Answers of mine that I can remember:
Q1 - integration = 14 2/3 units
Q5 - inequalities x>1 x<-5
kinematics - 500 seconds longer
tan identity, 63.4, 243.4

Overall VERY easy in my opinion, last year's was much harder

I agree with all of those answers, although for 5 I wrote it as "-5>x>1" which is the same...
miltonkeynes
I agree with all of those answers, although for 5 I wrote it as "-5>x>1" which is the same...

It is indeed, I'd have thought it'd count either way, hopefully.

Anyone else remember any other questions, other than the proof/graph/fiddly probabilities?
Reply 28
for first proabbility i did 65/100^5 i knwo thats the and rule but i did the choose way and ended up with same answers then did 3 s.f ne1 else?
calcium878
It is indeed, I'd have thought it'd count either way, hopefully.

Anyone else remember any other questions, other than the proof/graph/fiddly probabilities?

For the last question on the first page 'prove why these two have the same gradient'

Did you just divide it by two and point out that y=mx+c was the same?

I hate proofs :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
belli
for first proabbility i did 65/100^5 i knwo thats the and rule but i did the choose way and ended up with same answers then did 3 s.f ne1 else?

Yes that's what I did too.

5C5 = 1 and so does (35/100)^0

So it doesn't really matter.
miltonkeynes
For the last question on the first page 'prove why these two have the same gradient'

Did you just divide it by two and point out that y=mx+c was the same?

I hate proofs :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, I just put they both had a gradient of -2.45 and hence are parallel (it was only 2 marks so I think that's all they wanted).

Also, for the question after (the perpendicular line equation) I got y=0.4x + 5.6
Reply 32
ok i actually cant believe this first gcse amths and now add maths have gone well for the first time ever. ok for for the 7 marker did u do simultaneous equations and use the formula?
belli
ok i actually cant believe this first gcse amths and now add maths have gone well for the first time ever. ok for for the 7 marker did u do simultaneous equations and use the formula?

Yes,for the first half

Then put it into the original equation and get y.

It was someting weird like 1-root17
miltonkeynes
Yes,for the first half

Then put it into the original equation and get y.

It was someting weird like 1-root17

Yup, it was 1 +/- root 17

Then you had to sub these back into the linear equation to get two pairs of co-ordinates.
Reply 35
I got like (16,32) and (18,34) for the co-ordinates, is that right???
Also for the prove they are parallel I got one gradient as 2 and one as -2 which Iguessed meant they were the same... right/wrong?
clowes
I got like (16,32) and (18,34) for the co-ordinates, is that right???
Also for the prove they are parallel I got one gradient as 2 and one as -2 which Iguessed meant they were the same... right/wrong?

If the question is 'Prove why both have the same gradient' I don't think they'd want to trick you like that (unless it's edexcel :wink: )

The cooordinates was 1 - root 17 and 1+root17 and whatever that came out to be for the original (something like 3+2root17 but I can't remember)

It did say "two decimal points" in that question too
Reply 37
Agh Crap, I have done awful
clowes
Agh Crap, I have done awful

I'm sure you haven't. In Add Maths it's only 1-2 marks for the answer, if you have the right method you get marks. You also get marks for stating formulae (like y=mx+c) so you'll have done reasonably well even if you got wrong answers
Reply 39
For the probablity ones:

1) 5C5 * 0.65^5 * 0.35^0 - All 5 people
2) 5C4 * 0.65^4 * 0.35^1 - Exactly 4 people
3) 1 - (5C0 * 0.65^0 * 0.35^5 + 5C1 * 0.65^1 * 0.35^4) - At least two people
4) 10C8 * 0.65^8 * 0.35^2 - Group of 10, exactly 8 people.

Did everyone else get those too? I wasn't sure because they were giving SO many marks for such little working...

Latest