Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm used to working part time during college and hope to get a part time job at uni this September, I'm going to Cardiff! I'm staying in accommodation that's only 5 minutes walking to the city centre so I hope to get one that's really close.
    I've had a fair few jobs in retail and waitressing/bar staff at a night club so I don't think it should be too hard to get a job.

Where do you think I should look for a job? (Which hours/pay is best) Is it a bad idea to work at a nightclub if the nights are late and I may have lectures in the morning? Should I apply online now and go for interviews in September or should I go out looking for jobs when I get there?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Try to avoid working nights - you don't want to be working until 6am when you have uni that morning.

Try working for your uni / student union - they're usually the best employers in tend of flexibility, and they have more interesting jobs on offer like being a student ambassador. Don't limit yourself to bar work / waitressing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    SU/uni based jobs are the best in terms of the "employer" being understanding when you have exams etc. However, everyone wants an SU job, so it's not guarenteed to get one. Many SUs will also offer bar and shop work, so your experience will help you here- this tends to be a steadier source of money too.

Bar work isn't too bad if you can limit it to nights when you don't have lectures the next day, and does tend to pay a bit better than shop work. It's probably also the easiest work to find for term time only, as some bars will be busier at term time. However, it may limit your social life a bit, and can be really tiring.

Waitressing tends to have earlier finishes than bar work, and you get tips. However, for many restaurants, term time isn't a busy period, so it just depends what you can find.

Shop work can be difficult. Unless you can find somewhere you can work weekends only (which is possible), you are likely to end up with clashes. Timetables at uni can be pretty variable, and even if you usually have a free day, you may sometimes need this- e.g. for meetings with tutors, feildtrips, to do group work, and so on.

The best advice I can give is not to commit to too much, until you're more aware of your workload and exactly when you're expected to be in uni (tutorials don't usually get put on your timetables). Unless you're going to be absolutely desperate for money, I would hold off getting a job until you're at least a few weeks into your first term.

ReputationRep:
    Dont prostitute yourself to the decadent west. You can survive by growing rice in whatever space you have. Hope this helps!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.