Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am starting at Warwick next month.

I have been in the CCF at school for the last four years, loved it and am keen to join the UOTC while at university.

I notice Warwick is in the catchment for the Birmingham UOTC - it seems quite far away - does anyone at Warwick bother to join?

Thanks for any advice.

Biobio

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they do. The BUOTC appear at the Freshers' Fayre - some years based outside the Students' Union as military societies went through a period of being prohibited on grounds of institutional homophobia !!

If things haven't changed then a coach turns up on campus on Wednesday afternoons and on Fridays before training weekends to take Warwick students to the BUOTC HQ. Coventry and Keele students are similarly helped to get there as it would otherwise be an horrendous journey on public transport.

The BUOTC is a really nice opportunity - Army Reserve pay, leadership experience (including a City & Guilts leadership qualification), adventurous training (in my time there cadets did Borneo, Canada, Scandinavia, etc largely subsidised by the daily pay you draw for being there...), and lots of stories to tell graduate recruiters (escape and evasion as bait for the SAS, being dropped on moors by helicopter, attacking beaches from landing craft, etc etc).

Navy and RAF reserves will also be at the Freshers' Fayre although I seem to recall they have less cadets at Warwick so don't offer transport to their bases...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masafi)
    The BUOTC is a really nice opportunity - Army Reserve pay, leadership experience (including a City & Guilts leadership qualification), adventurous training (in my time there cadets did Borneo, Canada, Scandinavia, etc largely subsidised by the daily pay you draw for being there...), and lots of stories to tell graduate recruiters (escape and evasion as bait for the SAS, being dropped on moors by helicopter, attacking beaches from landing craft, etc etc).
    Thank you for this. Very helpful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.