Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I handed my other module work and then I was called for meeting because the teacher believe it was not my work
    I went to this meeting they asked me how I did the work, I told them my dsa support give me English support, proof reading they said they will ring dsa will they confirm (trying to bully me) which I said of course they will
    They asked me question, and i said due to hearing disability I don't understand
    One of tutor said what disability you have, I said you should know he said he did not, I said you have notes and everything and are you saying am lying about my disability?
    So I left the meeting and felt really bullied
    I now have panel meeting
    I have anitity and panic attack and hearing disability and I am really nervous for this meeting
    What right do I have at this meeting if I can't answer questions and others?

ReputationRep:
    Just what are they accusing you of? Is it plagiarism (copying other people's work)?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah with no proof

ReputationRep:
    I been getting help from my English support and proof reading which DSA gave me to support
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    What evidence do they have? When I was at a brick uni, they used software and if your work showed over a certain %, they'd talk to you about it.

ReputationRep:
    They don't have any evidence and the software showed no % of any work copied
    It just my English is much better than my previous work and they have problem with that

ReputationRep:
    I think once there is proof you get support it will be all all right as you have a right to this support and have done nothing wrong...I get such support too! They don't really have a leg to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    I have prepared my statement showing my support from DSA and I have a statement from my English support worker verifying the support.
    During the interview am I obliged to answer all questions?
    I don't want to be put under any pressure due to my disability and anxiety panic attacks. I want to keep it simple and just provide the two statements prepared by me and the support worker.

ReputationRep:
    why, that sounds like you have got something to hide.

ReputationRep:
    It is wrong to get support from DSA English support?

ReputationRep:
    And the support you do get from DSA English support, what way are they to help you with the English support?

ReputationRep:
    I personally have things double checked and re-ordered and a bit of punctuation wording help as I have chronic fatigue which gives me a cognitive dis-function.

Why do you get support? Do you also have a learning disability on top of your anxiety & hearing? Does this lead to a learning disability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehrfarbig)
    I personally have things double checked and re-ordered and a bit of punctuation wording help as I have chronic fatigue which gives me a cognitive dis-function.

Why do you get support? Do you also have a learning disability on top of your anxiety & hearing? Does this lead to a learning disability?
    Thanks for the reply
    Yes I do have learning disability

ReputationRep:
    Hi Akhan,

You may want to ask your student union, if they support you at the meeting. They usually deal with such meetings quite often.

Who is alleging the plagiarism?

If it is the Module Tutor etc, can you not discuss the matter with the Head of Dept/Year and your Personal Tutor, as they may be able to discuss the issue with the relevant tutor.

Make sure you get the copy of your assignment with it saying 0% plagiarised etc.

Could your support worker, who helped you with the assignment, not come to the meeting as a witness or do a witness statement (I know sounds like criminal law )

It might also, if you can, get a copy of the uni's policy on plagerism and/or the panel (i.e. how it supposed to function, who's supposed to be on it etc)

As you have hearing/learning disabilities then you should request Reasonable Adjustments, under the Equality Act 2010, to be made for prior to the meeting taking place

e.g. BSL interpreter (if you need one), given more time to understand what the panelist have said and to formulate an answer etc.

Unis may also come under the Public Sector Equality Duty, which gives additional cover beyond Reasonable Adjustments.

You may also want to speak or email the disabled students' team at Disability Rights UK. They took over what used to be called Skill (disabled student charity). They can also give some legal advice on issues like this etc.

http://disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we...dents-helpline

If all else fails you can put a formal complaint in, which again your student union should be able to help with.

I hope atleast some of that was helpful,

technoo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technoo)
    Hi Akhan,

You may want to ask your student union, if they support you at the meeting. They usually deal with such meetings quite often.

Who is alleging the plagiarism?

If it is the Module Tutor etc, can you not discuss the matter with the Head of Dept/Year and your Personal Tutor, as they may be able to discuss the issue with the relevant tutor.

Make sure you get the copy of your assignment with it saying 0% plagiarised etc.

Could your support worker, who helped you with the assignment, not come to the meeting as a witness or do a witness statement (I know sounds like criminal law )

It might also, if you can, get a copy of the uni's policy on plagerism and/or the panel (i.e. how it supposed to function, who's supposed to be on it etc)

As you have hearing/learning disabilities then you should request Reasonable Adjustments, under the Equality Act 2010, to be made for prior to the meeting taking place

e.g. BSL interpreter (if you need one), given more time to understand what the panelist have said and to formulate an answer etc.

Unis may also come under the Public Sector Equality Duty, which gives additional cover beyond Reasonable Adjustments.

You may also want to speak or email the disabled students' team at Disability Rights UK. They took over what used to be called Skill (disabled student charity). They can also give some legal advice on issues like this etc.

http://disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we...dents-helpline

If all else fails you can put a formal complaint in, which again your student union should be able to help with.

I hope atleast some of that was helpful,

technoo
    Hi thanks for the reply
    I went to the panel interview and they reached the decision that it was not my work
    They did not even looked at my support worker statement and mine
    And it decided on me could not answer 1 questions on work I handed in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKHAN)
    Hi thanks for the reply
    I went to the panel interview and they reached the decision that it was not my work

Hope you're well,

What are you thinking of doing as your next step, want to consider appealing or are you just going to redo some of the work

Whichever option helps you best

technoo

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks
    Just really stressed out, I put all the hard work in and then they all accused me of this
    I am going to appeal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKHAN)
    Hi thanks for the reply
    Well could you or couldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKHAN)
    Hi thanks
    Just really stressed out, I put all the hard work in and then they all accused me of this
    I am going to appeal
    Even in an appeal you will be expected to answer questions on your own work. It's the definitive way to tell if someone wrote something. If they can answer questions then they wrote it, if they can't then the piece was written by somebody else. By all means appeal and use every route available to you, but you must be prepared to prove you did this work yourself.

ReputationRep:
    How would you not be able to answer questions on your own work? Even with my memory issues I manage as you spend so long on an assignment it is impossible not to remember unless you have a more severe issue that also effects your long term memory as well as short.

Did you support worker actually write your assignment for you? How much input did you give? A support worker usually wouldn't help so much that the whole assignment was pretty much their work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.