Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting revision today by writing my notes and doing past papers is it too late to do revision or have I got enough time as my gcses are in July 2014?apparently from tomorrow to the 1st July there are 317 days halving these for actual solid revision time and 3 hours revision each day I'd have 475.5 hours which when divided by my 10 subjects gives me 47.55 hours per subject is that enough time to revise? and are all the gcses exams usually in July apart from the coursework or are they at different times my gcses are: history, geography, Spanish ,re ,maths, English lit, English lang,biology,chemistry,physics.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely not too late to revise! You've obviously sorted out the timing and how long you have left. Make a realistic study timetable so that you know whether you're on track with your revision or not. Work hard. There are people who literally start revising a day before the exam and you're clearly aware that you need to work hard. Don't stress too much. Good luck with your GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polpo)
    I'm starting revision today by writing my notes and doing past papers is it too late to do revision or have I got enough time as my gcses are in July 2014?apparently from tomorrow to the 1st July there are 317 days halving these for actual solid revision time and 3 hours revision each day I'd have 475.5 hours which when divided by my 10 subjects gives me 47.55 hours per subject is that enough time to revise? and are all the gcses exams usually in July apart from the coursework or are they at different times my gcses are: history, geography, Spanish ,re ,maths, English lit, English lang,biology,chemistry,physics.
    No that's most definitely not too late! I didn't start my GCSE revision until after the Easter holidays of Y11 and did fine ( see my profile). I did 10 hours maximum of revision for each subject outside of school lessons, most of which was during study leave.

However different techniques work for different people, so if lots if revision over a long period works for you, go for it and best of luck for your exams. Personally I didn't have time to do 3 hours a day through all of Y11.

If you do do 3 hours a day though for the next year you'll most certainly be well prepared for your exams (as long as it's effective revision), but in my opinion it's rather excessive!

Oh and GCSE summer exams are from mid May until near the end of June.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No you've started very early! Which isn't a problem at all that's great! I wish I had had the motivation to do that, however you probably won't need to start off doing 3 hours a day. Start off with small amounts so you don't bore yourself too soon. Most schools give you study leave, and of course you will have half terms through out the year meaning you will have much more time to revise in them periods, however you do still need to focus on the current school work in year 11 and keeping up with homework etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's really early. I only started revising in like the Easter half term I think, so well done.

ReputationRep:
    So you're going to start REVISION before being taught content.... how does that work?

That's not too late, it's too early!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maid Marian)
      That's not too late, it's too early!
      I second this.

ReputationRep:
      Hey there!
      Yeah, you're pretty much on the good track. I just recommend you not to lose your motivation and you'll have flying colours for your exams.

I've got a question though! Is 8 weeks enough to succeed at A levels?

iWant2know.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by iWant2know)
      Hey there!
      Yeah, you're pretty much on the good track. I just recommend you not to lose your motivation and you'll have flying colours for your exams.

I've got a question though! Is 8 weeks enough to succeed at A levels?

iWant2know.
      Yes. Make sure for A levels you consolidate your learning throughout the year. By this I mean after each class, go through the info again & do the homework (obviously). But once you get the homework back, look through it and flag up anything you're still not sure of and look it up/ask your teacher. This will save a lot of time when you actually come to revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Even if someone began revising a week before their exam it still wouldn't be too late - not ideal, but not too late You definitely have plenty of time although my concern by starting now is that over time you may forget some of what you have revised since you would have revised it such a long time ago. You've likely not been taught the info yet in class, and so you should start revising once you have instead of beforehand. At this stage though I wouldn't suggest full-on revision -- if you still want to begin revising now -- but merely going/reading over topics in the textbook and beginning to understand them so that when you do learn it in school you have a fuller understanding

ReputationRep:
      Wut? Okay, your dedication is admirable, but surely it would be better to wait until you have actually covered the material in class first?

ReputationRep:
      With your mentality, you may as well start revising for university lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      You also get study leave?

ReputationRep:
      Aha, you definitely have enough time to revise. I mean you practically have 2 hours of non stop revising for each subject plus school!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ndella)
      With your mentality, you may as well start revising for university lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
      I remember I revised for my Year 8 transfers a year early and by the time we were covering the material in class I had forgotten everything!
      • TSR Support Team
      • Community Assistant
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      I revised the day before for a few of mine! Turned out okay Don't worry too much, you'll be absolutely fine, even with a couple of weeks revision for subjects!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PotterLaw)
      Yes. Make sure for A levels you consolidate your learning throughout the year. By this I mean after each class, go through the info again & do the homework (obviously). But once you get the homework back, look through it and flag up anything you're still not sure of and look it up/ask your teacher. This will save a lot of time when you actually come to revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Agreed, this is what helped me succeed in A2.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JanitaTwain)
      I remember I revised for my Year 8 transfers a year early and by the time we were covering the material in class I had forgotten everything!
      Lol that happened with me during GCSEs, this is why I'll at least wait 3 months before my exams next year

ReputationRep:
      don't revise, learn how to think

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.