The Student Room Group

Do i have any options at all??

Hi, i finally got my A-level results yesterday like many of you guys and was shocked to see that i got a D on my business coursework, after doing well in the exam and managing to score a A & B in the coursework, only to see that i DIDN'T score an A & B in the coursework as my teacher had told me, i infact scored a D & E. This came as a shock, mainly because i finished all my coursework weeks before the deadline and was told they were excellent and could even be 2 straight A's. So they were left for 2 weeks pre deadline un edited and then sent in by my teacher. I wouldn't have been as shocked if they turned out to be 2 C's or something similar, however the gulf between a E and a A is massive. Do i have any options here? Is it worth paying 50 quid for a remark? Will i be held to pay for this or will my sixth form cover it? It has really gotten me down and reduced my mark from a B to a D. Can anyone offer some advice?
Reply 1
Maybe it's your teacher's marking and some very severe moderation. Have you spoken to your business teacher about the drop in grades? I would suggest a priority remark if it's your A level results—what offer did you receive for your course?
Reply 2
Coursework re-moderation, as its called, is not as straightforward as remarking an exam.The guidance says:

Candidate consent is not required for post-results review of moderation as candidates’ marks may be lowered but their published subject grades will not be lowered in the series concerned. However, centres should be aware that a lowered mark may be carried forward to future certification. For example, if a coursework mark which contributes to an AS award is lowered as a result of review of moderation, the AS grade will be protected, but the lower mark will contribute to any subsequent A-level award.

Review of moderation cannot be undertaken upon the work of an individual candidate or the work of candidates not in the original sample.

So your school would have to pay for ALL the coursework to be re-moderated. If your centre had more than 20 students then they won't have sent off all the work, only a sample. The remoderation will be on the same sample.

Also it costs £213.75 to re-moderate a unit
Reply 3
Original post by Mickey2909
Maybe it's your teacher's marking and some very severe moderation. Have you spoken to your business teacher about the drop in grades? I would suggest a priority remark if it's your A level results—what offer did you receive for your course?

He's actually gone on holiday at the moment which is typical, i know you could say it was loose marking but surely there is a vast amount of difference between A grade work and E grade. Bearing in mind i had spent a long time on this coursework, producing a near-50 page booklet filled with analysis's and information etc. Definitly more than a E. I actually still got onto my uni course, however just feeling a bit down after all the work i put in, a D doesn't sound good when speaking to relatives and friends
Reply 4
Original post by Sputnicks
He's actually gone on holiday at the moment which is typical, i know you could say it was loose marking but surely there is a vast amount of difference between A grade work and E grade. Bearing in mind i had spent a long time on this coursework, producing a near-50 page booklet filled with analysis's and information etc. Definitly more than a E. I actually still got onto my uni course, however just feeling a bit down after all the work i put in, a D doesn't sound good when speaking to relatives and friends

I don't actually know anyone that's done that much coursework so I was quite surprised by Catsy's comment—a remark isn't sounding like such good advice now—but I did happen to see this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2089355 It's a year old but sounds a lot like your situation.

Do you know about your friends' results in their coursework? If they're experiencing the same problem, you might be able to complain to the school / examboard. Anyway, well done on getting into uni! I'm sure A levels will soon be forgotten when you start your course, no one really cares what you get a few weeks after results day.

Quick Reply

Latest