Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know if you're "depressed"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to do. I'm 16 and I think I might have depression. I'm never really happy anymore and I just bottle all my emotions up inside and I'm afraid that ts all going to explode one day. I never talk to my family about how I feel and tbh sharing your emotions has never been a thing in my family. Whenever I talk about my feelings to my mom or nana they just tell me how insignificant my problems are and how all I think about is myself, and that I've "got it easy" truth be told, I have a lot of material things in my life and have been spoilt since I was little and I'm not happy and it makes me feel angry at myself. Likes have everything by im still sad. I'm really down and I cry every other day now I feel like I can't control anything in my life, I'm soon insecure and feel so unattractive and worthless and I can't do anything about it.

All I want to do is sleep because I feel like there's nothing to wake up for. My family keeps telling me to get a grip but I can't and they don't understand. I'm just so tired all the time and upset. Everything stresses me out. I don't know what to do, I want to see someone to help me but I doubt my mom would take me seriously if I told her. I can't tell my friends, because I don't fully understand why I feel this way. the only way i can say how I feel is writing and sometimes it doesn't help much either.Any advice would be great...

ReputationRep:
    Sense it may have more to do with (fairly standard) adolescent girly insecurities/questions over sense of self but, if you're concerned..

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depress...Diagnosis.aspx

..sounds like you could definitely use some CBT and perhaps someone to listen. Hope you feel better soon pet :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satisfcation)
    I don't know what to do. I'm 16 and I think I might have depression. I'm never really happy anymore and I just bottle all my emotions up inside and I'm afraid that ts all going to explode one day. I never talk to my family about how I feel and tbh sharing your emotions has never been a thing in my family. Whenever I talk about my feelings to my mom or nana they just tell me how insignificant my problems are and how all I think about is myself, and that I've "got it easy" truth be told, I have a lot of material things in my life and have been spoilt since I was little and I'm not happy and it makes me feel angry at myself. Likes have everything by im still sad. I'm really down and I cry every other day now I feel like I can't control anything in my life, I'm soon insecure and feel so unattractive and worthless and I can't do anything about it.

All I want to do is sleep because I feel like there's nothing to wake up for. My family keeps telling me to get a grip but I can't and they don't understand. I'm just so tired all the time and upset. Everything stresses me out. I don't know what to do, I want to see someone to help me but I doubt my mom would take me seriously if I told her. I can't tell my friends, because I don't fully understand why I feel this way. the only way i can say how I feel is writing and sometimes it doesn't help much either.Any advice would be great...
    Firstly, do not freak out, whether you have depression or not, it is certainly not the end of the world. My advice to you is to make an appointment with your GP immediately. They will assess you and even if your GP concludes that you don not suffer from depression, he/she may still refer you to a service which deals with teenagers. I'm telling you this from personal experience and it had beautiful results.

The whole point is this: the sooner you figure out why you feel the way you feel, the quicker the recovery. I advise you to use the CBT diary (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) which you can find it in the android app market and you can install it on your phone. Whenever you feel a negative emotion taking over you, open the diary and complete all the sections.At the end, the app will give you some positive suggestions that will make you realize that what you feel right now is really not the end of the world and not the worse that can happen to you.

The power to change is within you and nobody else can make you feel better but yourself. Believe me, inside you lies a mighty force, which is your ability to think positively. The more you exercise your positive thinking, the easier to keep negative feelings at bay. And with time, you will get these negative feelings less and less.

When you wake up, you have all the reasons to be happy: you are healthy, you have all your members in place, you can breathe etc, try to be grateful for the small and the big things around you. This is the secret to happiness my dear friend.

ReputationRep:
    When you don't need to ask this question

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.