Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay now this may seem like a pretty dumb question, but I really don't know. :unsure: I don't know anyone that has taken a gap year and I tried searching for the answer myself but what I found wasn't really clear, so anyway I'm sorry if the answers to my queries are blatantly obvious, but my questions are:

1. If you choose to take a gap year, do you need to start start filling in your UCAS in year 13?

I'm going to be in year 13 in September but I don't know what to do and I feel so uncertain about everything right now.

2. Does that mean I need to I need to start writing my personal statement now as well?

I don't want to do it yet because I honestly have NO IDEA what I want to study at uni anymore, & my as level results weren't that good so what I originally wanted to do is literally out the box, I can't repeat the year for personal reasons at home (long story). I don't want to end up choosing a course that I regret and end up with thousands of pounds of debt because I felt pressured into choosing it.

3. If the answer to question 1 is yes, then presuming you don't fill out your UCAS application in year 13, can you do it on your own during the gap year?

Someone please tell me, words of wisdom from anyone is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Well UCAS applications need to be filled in the year you are looking to start your course. You can also start filling it in in your gap year and save the application and wait until your A-level results in year 13. But tbh I don't see why you would start the application now since you have plenty of time for that. It doesn't make sense since you cannot even predict your A-level results yet.

But, why don't you think about an apprenticeship? Instead of taking a gap year out, maybe you could start a course or something. If your AS results were not great, how will you cope with life at uni?

My point is, uni is hard work, especially an excellent one. And by the sound of it, you won't get into one. Instead of going to a mediocre university and ending up with loads of debt, you should look for a vocational qualification that appeals to you. Don't forget that employers know the reputation of universities and the last thing you want it to sit on your degree, unable to get a job. Vocational qualifications have industrial placements so you can get your foot in the door quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, vocational courses are something I have considered, but the problem lies in the fact that I'm just not completely sure what I want to do yet. I have a few ideas but no solid grounding for them but I want to keep an open mind about uni as well. As for my as level exams I am not happy with the grades I got and I am expecting certain hell by doing this but I need to retake them during year 13, it's because I feel so ashamed of myself and I let down the few people that had faith in me by disappointing them. Thanks again, I did find what you said useful and will give it thought. x

ReputationRep:
    Also have a look at this website
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_w...ur_subject.htm
    and try to get a better idea of the sector/field you would like to work in. That will help you make up your mind. Researching the subjects you are interested in always pays off! When in doubt, research more and maybe get in contact with those who already study that.

Good luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackdove178)
    Okay now this may seem like a pretty dumb question, but I really don't know. :unsure: I don't know anyone that has taken a gap year and I tried searching for the answer myself but what I found wasn't really clear, so anyway I'm sorry if the answers to my queries are blatantly obvious, but my questions are:

1. If you choose to take a gap year, do you need to start start filling in your UCAS in year 13?

I'm going to be in year 13 in September but I don't know what to do and I feel so uncertain about everything right now.

2. Does that mean I need to I need to start writing my personal statement now as well?

I don't want to do it yet because I honestly have NO IDEA what I want to study at uni anymore, & my as level results weren't that good so what I originally wanted to do is literally out the box, I can't repeat the year for personal reasons at home (long story). I don't want to end up choosing a course that I regret and end up with thousands of pounds of debt because I felt pressured into choosing it.

3. If the answer to question 1 is yes, then presuming you don't fill out your UCAS application in year 13, can you do it on your own during the gap year?

Someone please tell me, words of wisdom from anyone is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
    Not necessarily. You can either apply in year 13 and apply for the course with deferred entry which means it would start the year after. This is helpful because then you can enjoy your gap year with the knowledge that you have an unconditional and don't need to deal with UCAS. However, since you don't know what you want to apply for, you could apply during your gap year. Which means you would start dealing with UCAS after you get your A2 level results and apply for regular/non-deferred entry. You would need to take the initiative if applying during a gap year as you need a teacher reference - which can take a lot of pestering and reminding.

What did you originally want to do? Why can you no longer do it? If you resit modules alongside your A2s and work damn hard then the world is your oyster.

I think every student on this forum has felt or currently feel how you do, I certainly have. Some people have no idea what they want to until 30 or 40 and some never figure it out. We're all trying to figure it out, so carpe diem!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.