The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

IS EVERYONE AS EXCITED AS I AM? :bigsmile:

About me: I applied in the 2013 UCAS cycle and now have an unconditional deferred offer for A100 medicine at Leicester university starting in september 2014.. possibly with you! If anyone has any questions relating to UCAS and deferring entry, ask away.

GOOD LUCK :rave:

2k14 Leicester crew reppin'
[SCROLL]:sexface: Dr.Django / Amyk89 / Ama2007 / jimjam123 / mynameisntbobk / Nisha Noor / star10159 / t_weir / t()m / Jaffski / MedicalMike / h3isenberg / hks123 / Priya_Biju / LibbyG / g.k.galloway / Zebrajess / KanKan / Lucyloo859 / holly432 / Parvathi_x / spangie / richtea5 / MissJayySee / Alumno / P I E R R E / HHaris14 :sexface:[/SCROLL]

How do they score our applications?
A100: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A100Scoringupdated22Aug13incSJT.pdf
A101: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A101Scoringupdated22Aug13incSJT.pdf
Bear in mind: "We also reserve the right to change our scoring systems at any point in order to rank applicants appropriately."

Want to resit some AS exams alongside your A2 exams?
As long as all AS and A2 exams are taken within the two years, this is fine and will not affect your application.

Statistics for the 2013 UCAS cycle: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/2013_a100_statistics#incoming-423112
1) How many applications were there for medicine? - 2470 Home/EU
2) What was the number of places available? - 162 places
3) How many applicants were interviewed? - 809 Home/EU attended
4) How many offers were made? - 347 Home/EU
5) How many applicants who had Leicester as their firm or insurance missed their offer? 51 CF or CI offers were not met
6) How many applicants missed their offer but were accepted anyway? 29 applicants

So probability of getting an interview was 32.8% and probability of an offer after an interview was 42.9%.

Pre-interview cut-off scores for 2013: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_pre_interview_cut_off_score
1) What was the combined academic + UKCAT score cut-offs (out of 60) for interview selection?
A score of at least 57 and above was required to guarantee an interview for 2013 entry applications. A small number of candidates scoring 56 were invited for interview on the basis of a further assessment of their application forms.

2) Which scores out of 60 also had their personal statement scored for interview selection?
See above (56).

3) Also, did these cut-off scores differ for those with a contextual flags? And how did they differ?
No, but bonus points may have been added (dependant on Admissions Tutor discretion) which may have boosted their total score.

Previous pre-interview cut-off scores and how many people with a score of 56 got an interview: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/previous_cut_off_score_a100
1) What was the combined academic + UKCAT score cut-offs (out of 60) for interview selection?
We did not use a scoring system out of 60 for 2011 applications. 2011 used a scoring system based on academic, UKCAT, personal statement and reference, giving a combined score out of 40. For 2011 entry, a score of 34/40 was required in order to be invited for interview.
2012 entry was the first year we used a score out of 60. It is also worth noting that our scoring system changes annually and we do not know any threshold until we are in receipt of all applications. This is because applications are ranked and therefore, the threshold depends on the quality and quantity of applications we receive. In 2012 - a score of at least 55 and above was required to guarantee an interview. In 2013 - a score of at least 57 and above was required to guarantee an interview.

2) Which scores out of 60 also had their personal statement scored for interview selection if applicable to that UCAS cycle?
In 2011- As we were not using a scoring system out of 60 in 2011 we cannot answer this part of the request.
In 2012 - A small number of candidates scoring 54 were invited for interview on the basis of a further assessment of their application forms.
2013 - A small number of candidates scoring 56 were invited for interview on the basis of a further assessment of their application forms. Personal statements and references may also have been considered following interview.

3) For the UCAS 2013 cycle only, what percentage of applicants who scored 56 out of 60 (on the combined academic + UKCAT score)received an interview?
We offered invitations to interview to approximately 200 applicants who scored 56 (out of over 800 interviews). However, this may not have been a straight score of 56 from UKCAT and academic qualifications - some of these applicants’ scores will have been boosted if they are Realising Opportunities, had mitigation etc. All applicants who scored 56 were reassessed and some were invited to interview, at the discretion of our admissions tutor. We do not have a record of how many applicants in total scored 56.

Original post by Hippysnake
If you have extenuating circumstances which you feel may put you at a disadvantage, or your GCSEs aren't particularly great, but you went to an under performing school where they were considered above average, then get into touch with the medical school or the admission tutor, Dr West. He mentioned that it is something they genuinely consider when looking at potential applicants.
(Hippysnake is a current medical student at Leicester)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you know what the cut-off score was for last year GEP course? I am dying to know as I scored not too well on UKCAT...

Is it 18/30 for the grad course?

Reply 2
Original post by Ama2007
Do you know what the cut-off score was for last year GEP course? I am dying to know as I scored not too well on UKCAT...

Is it 18/30 for the grad course?

I'm not sure what the cut-offs were but this is how they score graduate applications: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A101Scoring.pdf

You could try emailing them to find out - '[email protected]' :smile:
Original post by k1rby
IS EVERYONE AS EXCITED AS I AM? :bigsmile:

About me: I applied in the 2013 UCAS cycle and currently have a deferred offer for A100 medicine at Leicester university. As long as I get the A level grades next month, I will be starting medical school in September 2014... possibly with you! If anyone has any questions relating to UCAS and deferring entry, ask away.

GOOD LUCK :rave:

How do they score our applications?
A100: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A100Scoring.pdf
A101: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A101Scoring.pdf

How were your stats?
And why did you decide to defer your entry?
Reply 4
Original post by mynameisntbobk
How were your stats?
And why did you decide to defer your entry?

My stats are all here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511&page=10&p=41901960#post41901960

I decided to defer because this will be the only year of my life when I am truly independent and can do what I want/go where I want. Also, I feel too immature to take on such a huge commitment immediately and I think I would benefit from one more year of life experience before becoming a medical student, which could only benefit me. I'm a completely different person from who I was last year and the year before that so I can only imagine how I will change in the coming year. Don't take this as meaning that I'm not wanting to do medicine, because I really do.

I originally planned to au pair abroad for the year so that I could make some money and learn a language at the same time. However, since finding this amazing scholarship programme (http://www.esu.org/programmes/schools/after-leaving-school/secondary-school-exchange), I'll be applying for that instead. So I'm applying for jobs right now and will work until december then go on the scholarship programme (if I get it) from January to July. :smile:
Original post by k1rby
My stats are all here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511&page=10&p=41901960#post41901960

I decided to defer because this will be the only year of my life when I am truly independent and can do what I want/go where I want. Also, I feel too immature to take on such a huge commitment immediately and I think I would benefit from one more year of life experience before becoming a medical student, which could only benefit me. I'm a completely different person from who I was last year and the year before that so I can only imagine how I will change in the coming year. Don't take this as meaning that I'm not wanting to do medicine, because I really do.

I originally planned to au pair abroad for the year so that I could make some money and learn a language at the same time. However, since finding this amazing scholarship programme (http://www.esu.org/programmes/schools/after-leaving-school/secondary-school-exchange), I'll be applying for that instead. So I'm applying for jobs right now and will work until december then go on the scholarship programme (if I get it) from January to July. :smile:

Oh wow, congratulations, you've definitely given me more hope.
I was planning on applying here, and hopefully, I'll confirm this decision in a week after I sit my UKCAT

If I'm honest, I think its pretty cool that you decided to take this gap year, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and the reasons you have are pretty attractive. I don't think I'd mind entirely if I end up taking a gap year, although I would need a job, which is so hard to find right now :s-smilie:

Hopefully you do get the scholarship programme, it seems like a great experience!
Reply 6
Oh wow, congratulations, you've definitely given me more hope.
I was planning on applying here, and hopefully, I'll confirm this decision in a week after I sit my UKCAT

If I'm honest, I think its pretty cool that you decided to take this gap year, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and the reasons you have are pretty attractive. I don't think I'd mind entirely if I end up taking a gap year, although I would need a job, which is so hard to find right now :s-smilie:

Hopefully you do get the scholarship programme, it seems like a great experience!

Yeah my GCSEs aren't amazing, so whenever people say you need 10A*s to even have a chance of getting in anywhere, I sigh so hard. Organising a gap year does involve more effort than just going straight to university but they are worth it. :tongue: I'm super excited for mine (plus it'll be pretty sweet to have an unconditional next to Leicester for a whole year haha).

Good luck with the UKCAT! :fluffy:
Original post by k1rby
Yeah my GCSEs aren't amazing, so whenever people say you need 10A*s to even have a chance of getting in anywhere, I sigh so hard. Organising a gap year does involve more effort than just going straight to university but they are worth it. :tongue: I'm super excited for mine (plus it'll be pretty sweet to have an unconditional next to Leicester for a whole year haha).

Good luck with the UKCAT! :fluffy:

People have told me not to go for it because I only have 4 A*s, luckily I know better, and it is all down to tsr. I can actually imagine, but it'll be your year to do whatever, no restrictions (up to reason)

Thank you so much :smile: assuming I get 28-30 points for the GCSE section, what point for the UKCAT section would you think it would be safe to apply with?.. if that made any sense
Reply 8
People have told me not to go for it because I only have 4 A*s, luckily I know better, and it is all down to tsr. I can actually imagine, but it'll be your year to do whatever, no restrictions (up to reason)

Thank you so much :smile: assuming I get 28-30 points for the GCSE section, what point for the UKCAT section would you think it would be safe to apply with?.. if that made any sense

I'd probably say 53-56 is borderline depending on the average of other applicants. To be truly completely safe I would say 58+ overall. This could so easily change though if more people apply with 60. I got 25 points with my GCSEs then additional 3 points from AS levels giving me 28 then 29 points from UKCAT. So I got 57 points overall.

If you get 28 points from GCSEs then you'll want minimum of 28 from UKCAT so that you don't have to do the 'is it too risky' debate. Tell me how you do in the UKCAT! :top:
Original post by k1rby
I'd probably say 53-56 is borderline depending on the average of other applicants. To be truly completely safe I would say 58+ overall. This could so easily change though if more people apply with 60. I got 25 points with my GCSEs then additional 3 points from AS levels giving me 28 then 29 points from UKCAT. So I got 57 points overall.

If you get 28 points from GCSEs then you'll want minimum of 28 from UKCAT so that you don't have to do the 'is it too risky' debate. Tell me how you do in the UKCAT! :top:

Ah right, thank you :smile: at this moment, I don't want to assume I have an A in any of my AS' yet, so I'll definitely aim for 2800+ which is a 700 average, which isn't too bad I guess.

I'll definitely let you know, my test is in 8 days, so I'm in that awkward 'I just want to get it over and done with' phase.
Reply 10
Visiting the open day, I remember them saying last year they interviewed those with scores of 57+ only. I wonder if this time it'll be 58 :/
Original post by KanKan
Visiting the open day, I remember them saying last year they interviewed those with scores of 57+ only. I wonder if this time it'll be 58 :/

I really hope not. 58 is way too high :frown:
Reply 12
I have 57/60(9a*s gcse and 2750 ukcat), should I apply?
Reply 13
Original post by mli26
I have 57/60(9a*s gcse and 2750 ukcat), should I apply?

It's hard to say because while that's a very good score, the cut-off could increase this year. Bear in mind that borderline scores will then have their personal statement scored out of 30 so even then, if you think your PS is strong, you could still get an interview. If you get any As at AS, it would be safe to apply (unless something crazy happens). I had 57 points last year and I thought it was risky (paid off though). The final decision is up to you, good luck! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by k1rby
It's hard to say because while that's a very good score, the cut-off could increase this year. Bear in mind that borderline scores will then have their personal statement scored out of 30 so even then, if you think your PS is strong, you could still get an interview. If you get any As at AS, it would be safe to apply (unless something crazy happens). I had 57 points last year and I thought it was risky (paid off though). The final decision is up to you, good luck! :smile:

are you studying in Leicester now? I think my 57 is a borderline score so I'm still considering
Reply 15
Original post by mli26
are you studying in Leicester now? I think my 57 is a borderline score so I'm still considering

I applied this year and have an deferred offer to start in September 2014 (as long as I get AAA in 23 days eekk)
Got a total score of 2,700 in my ukcat, that's 27 points. And with my academics (and assumed As in my AS), I'd have 57/60 points. What do you think about applying here with that?
Reply 17
Got a total score of 2,700 in my ukcat, that's 27 points. And with my academics (and assumed As in my AS), I'd have 57/60 points. What do you think about applying here with that?

If Leicester is one of your top choices then do it. If it's your 4th choice and you'd have better odds of getting an interview elsewhere then at least consider it? Last year 57 points was enough though :smile:
Reply 18
I score 57/60 and do really like Leicester, really hope it's not going increase.

Are you sure it was 57 last year, I thought it was 56 and 55 with contextual flag ? Maybe i heard/remembered wrong.
Reply 19
Original post by t()m
I score 57/60 and do really like Leicester, really hope it's not going increase.

Are you sure it was 57 last year, I thought it was 56 and 55 with contextual flag ? Maybe i heard/remembered wrong.

You're probably right as I heard about 57+ from TSR so not really reliable :tongue: you could email to confirm because if that's true then you'd probably be safe applying.

Edit: Last year applicants with 57 or higher got automatic interviews. Those with 56 had their personal statements scored out of 30 with the highest scorers getting the rest of the interviews.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest