The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2340
Original post by unnati212
It depends on your application to be fair. What are your stats? are you a graduate or school leaver? You can do an interview in Grenada if you want but I had mine in the UK just for convenience. Are you considering applying there?

Thanks for replying. I'm asking for my daughter in case she doesn't get into med school. She's a school leaver UKCAT 757, 11 A* GCSE, 4As for AS, A*A*A predicted, plenty of work experience etc. Just wondering how hard it is to get in and what the interview was like.
Reply 2341
Original post by Stephhhaaanie
Considering that the last interview dates on their website for the A100 course are the 18th19th February, should I just automatically assume rejection? I got a score of 57.

If you look back at the thread around post 2316 (p116) someone said they phoned Leicester on Friday and were told that all interviews had now gone out. 57 seems to have been their 'borderline' score this year with some getting interviews and others not (presumably depending on PS/reference).
No-one is 100% sure yet so I hope you still hear. Good luck with your other applications too...
I'd actually LOVE to go abroad to study medicine, but it's just too expensive :frown:

It's either take a second gap year, or graduate entry for me!
Reply 2343
Original post by Avec_Amour
I'd actually LOVE to go abroad to study medicine, but it's just too expensive :frown:

I'm in the same position, it'd be pretty great to go overseas but not really that practical with costs.. I saw for the Grenada one mentioned above an entry requirement is a financial plan...

Have you thought about whether you'd go for graduate or second gap year? still hopefully it'll not come to that :smile:
Original post by MC5
Thanks for replying. I'm asking for my daughter in case she doesn't get into med school. She's a school leaver UKCAT 757, 11 A* GCSE, 4As for AS, A*A*A predicted, plenty of work experience etc. Just wondering how hard it is to get in and what the interview was like.
Your daughter has an amazing UKCAT score and qualifications. She will need to do the premedical program which is 3/4 years and she will most probably go straight into the MD program. It is not really competitive as such but you need to be able to pay the tuition fees. However, they have many scholarship programs. The interview was OK, you need to write an essay followed by an hour of questioning. Its not impossible to get into tho, as long as you got good grades, which your daughter clearly has. How is she getting on with her applications?
Reply 2345
Original post by richtea5
I'm in the same position, it'd be pretty great to go overseas but not really that practical with costs.. I saw for the Grenada one mentioned above an entry requirement is a financial plan...

Have you thought about whether you'd go for graduate or second gap year? still hopefully it'll not come to that :smile:

St George's Grenada appears to add up to US$288,000 or more. OMG. Please can we have an offer Leicester...:redface:
Reply 2346
Original post by Avec_Amour

I feel quite similar...hopefully you WILL get offers but if you don't are you likely to take another gap year or do grad entry? I have still to hear from Sheffield and Leicester - but it's not looking good and I'm starting to think about what I'd do....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2347
Your daughter has an amazing UKCAT score and qualifications. She will need to do the premedical program which is 3/4 years and she will most probably go straight into the MD program. It is not really competitive as such but you need to be able to pay the tuition fees. However, they have many scholarship programs. The interview was OK, you need to write an essay followed by an hour of questioning. Its not impossible to get into tho, as long as you got good grades, which your daughter clearly has. How is she getting on with her applications?

Thanks for the information. She had an interview at Leicester in December but has not heard back. She has interviews at Cardiff and Newcastle coming up and has not heard from Sheffield yet. Is it really $288,000 in tuition fees?
Original post by MC5
Thanks for the information. She had an interview at Leicester in December but has not heard back. She has interviews at Cardiff and Newcastle coming up and has not heard from Sheffield yet. Is it really $288,000 in tuition fees?
More or less but every student gets some sort of partial scholarship based on their application. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter!
Reply 2349
More or less but every student gets some sort of partial scholarship based on their application. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter!

Thanks! Good luck for the future...
Original post by MC5
Thanks! Good luck for the future...

Thank you!
Please tell there are applicants out there who haven't received a reply from Leicester who had their interviews in decemeber??? This wait is really killing me
Reply 2352
Original post by Sushi123
Please tell there are applicants out there who haven't received a reply from Leicester who had their interviews in decemeber??? This wait is really killing me

Yes, 17th December and still waiting:frown:
Reply 2353
My son was interviewed on 13th December and still hasn't heard. I've been reliably informed that those interviewed in December who haven't been given offers or rejected are strong 'maybes' so don't lose hope yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2354
Original post by Sushi123

I haven't either! I was interviewed on the 16th, but in all honesty I'm really not expecting good news, it was by far my worst interview oops

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2355
Original post by Keeks52
I haven't either! I was interviewed on the 16th, but in all honesty I'm really not expecting good news, it was by far my worst interview oops

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anyone know when the final interviews are? We should start hearing back after that!
Original post by 0612
Does anyone know when the final interviews are? We should start hearing back after that!

Last interviews are on the 19th.
I have mine coming up and am really nervous, have you got any tips? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2357
Original post by 0612

18/19th of feb are the last interview dates according to the site

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2358
With the MMI at Leicester, are the stations all located in the same room with makeshift barriers separating them or are the stations each assigned a small room each?

I'm asking this because I had a MMI recently - the stations were all located in the same room with barriers between them. It was EXTREMELY difficult for me to concentrate as I could hear what other people were saying due to the lack of brick walls. I really hope that this isn't the case with Leicester, :frown:
Reply 2359
Original post by Mehhhh
With the MMI at Leicester, are the stations all located in the same room with makeshift barriers separating them or are the stations each assigned a small room each?

I'm asking this because I had a MMI recently - the stations were all located in the same room with barriers between them. It was EXTREMELY difficult for me to concentrate as I could hear what other people were saying due to the lack of brick walls. I really hope that this isn't the case with Leicester, :frown:

Sorry, there are barriers in one room :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending