The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Hi guys! Sorry I'm a bit confused - I know Leicester give every one a score out of 60, and that 30 comes from the UKCAT score, how do you get the other 30 marks? Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hks123
Hi guys! Sorry I'm a bit confused - I know Leicester give every one a score out of 60, and that 30 comes from the UKCAT score, how do you get the other 30 marks? Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top 6 GCSES including sciences, maths and English language. A*=5 points, A=4 etc.

Bonus points can be awarded (up to the maximum of 30 points) for every A at AS (in Chemistry, Biology and then any other subject)
So basically 3A*3A top 6 GCSE with 3A's at AS in Chem, bio, maths = 30/30 points!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 402
Original post by Dr. Django
Top 6 GCSES including sciences, maths and English language. A*=5 points, A=4 etc.

Bonus points can be awarded (up to the maximum of 30 points) for every A at AS (I think the A's have to be in science/maths but not 100%)

So basically 3A*3A top 6 GCSE with 3A's at AS in Chem, bio, maths = 30/30 points!

All correct except for the bonus AS points you are allowed the maximum of 3 points including Chemistry, Biology and any other :smile:
Original post by k1rby
All correct except for the bonus AS points you are allowed the maximum of 3 points including Chemistry, Biology and any other :smile:

Thanks, I shall change to avoid confusion!!
Reply 404
Original post by Dr. Django

Bonus points can be awarded (up to the maximum of 30 points) for every A at AS (in Chemistry, Biology and then any 2 1 others!)

:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by k1rby
:tongue:

GODDAMNIT :tongue:
Original post by MrJdots
Hi guys,
I was just wondering if I'd got this point thingy right..
I got A*'s in chem, bio, physics and history with an A in math and Eng Lang at GCSE, along with AAAB in Maths, Bio, Physics and Chem respectively at AS level. This makes 30 points right?
And I got 3000 points dead on in the UKCAT so that's also 30 points? Or is it 29?
So does that mean I have a score of 59 or 60/60 ?
Thanks for your help, I just a little unsure on the scoring system!

Basically what t()m said, I emailed them with my 2700 score and they said
"Your UKCAT score would be 27/30"

Original post by t()m
Mynamesisbok checked being bang on is the high score so for you it's 30/30 for ukcat.

Got the email back about the GCSE thing

Many thanks for your email of 10 September 2013.
When selecting for interview, allowance may be made for borderline candidates who have not achieved the highest GCSE score, but attended a relatively poor performing school.* Severe personal circumstances may also be taken into account, with each case being considered on an individual basis.* In all cases our offer will be 3 As at A Level, including chemistry.* If you believe your performance has been affected by the school you attended or personal circumstances, you should write in to the Medical School at the time of applying, including your UCAS number in any correspondence.* We will also require evidence, such as a letter from your school.
Please see our website for full details on our entry requirements and application scoring: www.le.ac.uk/sm/le* - click into ‘Admissions Updates’*to see how we are scoring applications for 2014.
With kind regards
Dr S L Dawson
Admissions Tutor for Medicine
Hey guys,
really want to apply to Leicester. The university seems legend -wait for it dairy :smile:

i needed some help help for my score.
i have achieved A*AAA in geography, biology, chemistry and physics.
i have also gotten a ukcat score of 3092 total.

i am Irish and have completed my junior certificate (GCSE) from Ireland.
I have studied Science( bio, chem and physics but it's sat as one exam -science), maths, geography, history, technology, business studies and English.
in these I have achieved A* in all but a A in English.

I wanted to know what would be score total
be considering that I have achieved A level grades and junior certificate.

thanks and best of luck to everyone.
51/60 is it worth applying? I had extenuating circumstances too at the time of my exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 409
Original post by purple and gold
Hey guys,
really want to apply to Leicester. The university seems legend -wait for it dairy :smile:

i needed some help help for my score.
i have achieved A*AAA in geography, biology, chemistry and physics.
i have also gotten a ukcat score of 3092 total.

i am Irish and have completed my junior certificate (GCSE) from Ireland.
I have studied Science( bio, chem and physics but it's sat as one exam -science), maths, geography, history, technology, business studies and English.
in these I have achieved A* in all but a A in English.

I wanted to know what would be score total
be considering that I have achieved A level grades and junior certificate.

thanks and best of luck to everyone.

You should email Leicester to confirm your score because the junior certificate isn't equivalent to GCSEs so they may use a different scoring method. It looks like 60/60 though. :smile:

Original post by Januu Dolly
51/60 is it worth applying? I had extenuating circumstances too at the time of my exams :smile:

Possibly because they add points onto people's scores who have extenuating circumstances or went to a bad school etc. It'd be risky though because they might not increase your score or might not increase your score by enough. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it. :smile:
officially a Leicester applicant now....Just received my application confirmation email.....:smile:
Original post by k1rby
You should email Leicester to confirm your score because the junior certificate isn't equivalent to GCSEs so they may use a different scoring method. It looks like 60/60 though. :smile:

Possibly because they add points onto people's scores who have extenuating circumstances or went to a bad school etc. It'd be risky though because they might not increase your score or might not increase your score by enough. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it. :smile:

Hi, I emailed Leicester and they said that the junior cert will be scored in the exact same way as GCSE.
Reply 412
Hi, I emailed Leicester and they said that the junior cert will be scored in the exact same way as GCSE.

Then you have 60/60 congrats :tongue:

Original post by Nisha Noor
officially a Leicester applicant now....Just received my application confirmation email.....:smile:

Oooo exciting times :smile:
Original post by k1rby
Then you have 60/60 congrats :tongue:

Oooo exciting times :smile:

Hi,
Actually my mistake there are no A* at Junior cert.
i emailed Leicester and they said then they would score as A = 5, B=4.
so I have 7A's in science, maths, geography, history, business, technology and cspe and b in English.
having A*AAA in geography, biology, chemistry and physics at a level and a ukcat score of 3092

What would my tot score be ?
thanks
Reply 414
Hi,
Actually my mistake there are no A* at Junior cert.
i emailed Leicester and they said then they would score as A = 5, B=4.
so I have 7A's in science, maths, geography, history, business, technology and cspe and b in English.
having A*AAA in geography, biology, chemistry and physics at a level and a ukcat score of 3092

What would my tot score be ?
thanks

Again it would be 60 because you got 29 from Junior Certificate then a bonus point from the A* at A level, making 30. With 30 from your UKCAT score.
Original post by k1rby
Again it would be 60 because you got 29 from Junior Certificate then a bonus point from the A* at A level, making 30. With 30 from your UKCAT score.

okay thanks :smile:
Reply 416
Hey all :smile:

Decided today that I'm going to apply to Leicester.

Can someone please confirm though that with 3130 ukcat and 11A* gcse that I would have a score of 60? And therefore I would (probably) get an interview?
Reply 417
Original post by Jaffski
Hey all :smile:

Decided today that I'm going to apply to Leicester.

Can someone please confirm though that with 3130 ukcat and 11A* gcse that I would have a score of 60? And therefore I would (probably) get an interview?

Yeah that's definitely 60/60 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 418
Does anyone know what mark you needed last year out of 60 to get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 419
Original post by hks123
Does anyone know what mark you needed last year out of 60 to get an interview?

See the first post. 57 and over was automatic interview. Those with 56 had their personal statements scored with the highest scores getting the rest of the interviews. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending