The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Anybody heard anything? Last year, first interviews were given out around this time/next week and I'm starting to panic. I really hope the cut off doesn't rise
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Anybody heard anything? Last year, first interviews were given out around this time/next week and I'm starting to panic. I really hope the cut off doesn't rise

Really? Thats early. It would be nice to find out quickly
Original post by Amyk89
Really? Thats early. It would be nice to find out quickly

Maybe I exaggerated a bit :tongue: but defo my next week this time last year! I'm getting so impatient and I don't know why :lol:
Maybe I exaggerated a bit :tongue: but defo my next week this time last year! I'm getting so impatient and I don't know why :lol:

You deffo ain't the only one.
Going to be sad and look through last years thread and see the kind of timings for interviews.... I just want some idea of when I will find out.

First person on TSR, to get an interview, last year was 20/11 so we have a little bit of a wait yet
Reply 605
Hi, I'm so jealous, im 16 and already looking to go to medi school. I was just wondering any tips you could give me to getting in, I'm in my gcse year now :smile:
Original post by rory-sjs
Hi, I'm so jealous, im 16 and already looking to go to medi school. I was just wondering any tips you could give me to getting in, I'm in my gcse year now :smile:

Hey :smile:

For now, work hard on your GCSE's and obviously try and get the best you can; the most important subjects when applying to med schools are English, Maths and the sciences so make sure you do as well as you can in those!!

For now I'd think about maybe getting some work experience or volunteering, I left it late and it can be a real hassle doing it in year 12 or in the summer after year 12 as you've got so much else going on!! GCSE summer is so long so that would be a great time to get some work experience :smile: Just work hard and slowly start adding experiences so that when you come to writing your ps/ interviews in a few years time you'll have a lot to say!
Original post by Amyk89
You deffo ain't the only one.
Going to be sad and look through last years thread and see the kind of timings for interviews.... I just want some idea of when I will find out.

Original post by Amyk89
First person on TSR, to get an interview, last year was 20/11 so we have a little bit of a wait yet

Haha that's how sad we are :tongue:

That's good,hopefully I can keep it all out of my mind :s-smilie: I can't see the cutoff rising but I'm worried it will
Reply 608

Thank you very much, i am predicted:
A* bio
A* chem
A* Physics
A* maths
A hist
A geog
A/B Pe
B french
B english (but think A is possible)

Should that do the job and I'm thinking: 3 sciences and maths as well as maybe further maths!
Haha that's how sad we are :tongue:

That's good,hopefully I can keep it all out of my mind :s-smilie: I can't see the cutoff rising but I'm worried it will

Deleted
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Amyk89
Deleted

Need to know what this said :unimpressed:
Original post by P I E R E
Hey guys, just checking into this one thread of a few a100 threads today

K1rby, do you mind adding me to the crew list scrolly thingy? ;D haha i thought that was really neat of you to do that :P

Little background, i'm applying to Leicester (of course) with 59/60 (yay), Nottingham, Newcastle, HYMS and UEA biomed.
Seen a few profiles that pop up frequently in the respective threads like Dr. Django (nice name), g.k galloway and medicalmike, of a few that i can remember and you all seem like really cool people!

All the best with everyone's application and I wish everyone to do well at interview!

x

Awwww that's nice :smile:
Welcome to the crew :smile: I'm also applying to HYMS and Newcastle :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need to know what this said :unimpressed:

I said the inane comment that it will depend on who applied but you know that.

Also I said that someone with 55 got an early interview... but it was just someone who excluded their "extra as" points and actually had 58 so thought I would delete my mistake... Obviously thats not acceptable :tongue:

Hi :smile:

- work on your GCSEs, try and get a good number of A*s if you can. Sciences, English language and maths are especially important. Whilst A*s are not the be all and end all they really help getting points when it comes to applying :smile:
- start the long battle that is obtaining hospital work experience. Try and organise some for the big summer break you have coming up!
- see if you can get some voluntary work in a care home or hospice :smile:
- maybe set up a med society at your school to talk about medical issues and applying. We've only just started one at mine and in hindsight it would have been very useful a while back!

Hope that helps :smile: good luck and if you have any other questions just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amyk89
I said the inane comment that it will depend on who applied but you know that.

Also I said that someone with 55 got an early interview... but it was just someone who excluded their "extra as" points and actually had 58 so thought I would delete my mistake... Obviously thats not acceptable :tongue:

Oh, fair enough :smile:

If only 55 was an early interview! Silly them haha, but 58 interviews quite early on is a good sign I'd think
I score 55 using the criteria but I will get "extra" points for contextual reasons. Assuming I get 1/2 points do you guys think I have a chance of getting an interview?
Original post by lil_mis_ah
I score 55 using the criteria but I will get "extra" points for contextual reasons. Assuming I get 1/2 points do you guys think I have a chance of getting an interview?

Perhaps a little risky. Cut off was 57 last year (borderline 56 may of gotten an interview with a really good ps). The cutoff is unlikely to fall but could rise due to the increased average in UKCAT. But if you have a really good PS you could still be in with a good shot. Its a bit early to tell until we start seeing what scores get interviews.
Reply 617
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hi :smile:

- work on your GCSEs, try and get a good number of A*s if you can. Sciences, English language and maths are especially important. Whilst A*s are not the be all and end all they really help getting points when it comes to applying :smile:
- start the long battle that is obtaining hospital work experience. Try and organise some for the big summer break you have coming up!
- see if you can get some voluntary work in a care home or hospice :smile:
- maybe set up a med society at your school to talk about medical issues and applying. We've only just started one at mine and in hindsight it would have been very useful a while back!

Hope that helps :smile: good luck and if you have any other questions just ask :smile:

Thank you very much for your help, I'm finding it hard to find anywhere that will take me on for any kind of work experience. i talked to a women at the hospital where i live she said she would email me back but i have heard nothing. How did you go about it?
Thank you very much, i am predicted:
A* bio
A* chem
A* Physics
A* maths
A hist
A geog
A/B Pe
B french
B english (but think A is possible)

Should that do the job and I'm thinking: 3 sciences and maths as well as maybe further maths!

it's all good having those predictions but it is down to you to fullfill them. I'm not saying that you will not I'm just saying don't let those grades make you complacent. Like Dr Django said, the key ones are maths, science and english, so try and get the top grades in them, especially your "b" prediction in english to a/a*. Those a levels will do you fine as well, but things may change in the next 2 years in terms of grade requirements so be aware and do the best you can. aim for those a's and a*'s!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Amyk89
Perhaps a little risky. Cut off was 57 last year (borderline 56 may of gotten an interview with a really good ps). The cutoff is unlikely to fall but could rise due to the increased average in UKCAT. But if you have a really good PS you could still be in with a good shot. Its a bit early to tell until we start seeing what scores get interviews.

Ok thanks. I've been told by several different people, including 2 ex admissions tutors, that my PS is very good so hopefully :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending