Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an (oldish) Macbook air from Hong Kong and this autumn I will be going to the UK for university. My question is, will the macbook work in the UK? As I have applecare, will that still be valid in the UK? Also, do are the plug sockets in the UK the same as in HK? If not, do I need to buy a new charger from apple while in the UK- will this work, or will there be a voltage problem?

Will I encounter any other problems?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebbet)
    Hi, I have an (oldish) Macbook air from Hong Kong and this autumn I will be going to the UK for university. My question is, will the macbook work in the UK? As I have applecare, will that still be valid in the UK? Also, do are the plug sockets in the UK the same as in HK? If not, do I need to buy a new charger from apple while in the UK- will this work, or will there be a voltage problem?

Will I encounter any other problems?

Thanks!
    1) Yes, but you will need a plug adapter.
    2) This is a tricky one. I've had people who have bought iPads and Macs abroad and in terms of warranty and repair it seems to be a bit confusing. There is nothing that I have found so far that clearly states about an international warranty, and when I have contacted Apple on behalf of customers about products brought abroad, One person said no, warranty is for the country of origin only, but 2 have said that the warranty is international (or that they would fix it anyway)

My advice, contact Apple directly about your product to find out for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    1) Yes, but you will need a plug adapter.
    2) This is a tricky one. I've had people who have bought iPads and Macs abroad and in terms of warranty and repair it seems to be a bit confusing. There is nothing that I have found so far that clearly states about an international warranty, and when I have contacted Apple on behalf of customers about products brought abroad, One person said no, warranty is for the country of origin only, but 2 have said that the warranty is international (or that they would fix it anyway)

My advice, contact Apple directly about your product to find out for sure.
    Thank you for your help. I just called apple twice and have been given conflicting opinions...Is it possible to purchase UK applecare for a product brought abroad?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.