Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im currently not sure what A levels to take on to get to uni to study either midwifery/childrens nursing. im currently thinking applied science, health & social care and preforming arts any help? are these going to help me? I was thinking preforming arts as 1. im good at it 2. I enjoy it and 3. so when im in employment I could communicate better.

ReputationRep:
    For midwifery; Biology, Religious studies, health and social care or psychology are good! However each university may differ from the other, the ones above are in line with Birmingham City, but I guess the others won't be too different! oh yeah and Sociology!

Hope this helps!!

ReputationRep:
    I know at my university they have made Biology a requirement for midwifery. When I was thinking of doing midwifery instead of nursing, most places seemed to want biology at AS and a lot wanted it at A2.

Sociology will be good for understanding different cultures, family set-ups, etc. My sociology A level has helped me in nursing.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology, Psychology, Biology or Health and Social Care are all good subjects for what you're thinking of doing

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am thinking about taking Maths biology and chemistry and then unsure about the 4th. I don't really know what to take in Uni, children nursing or teaching. whatever I choose, will these subjects be okay for children nursing and what should I take as the 4th?Also how many years would the degree for children's nursing be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TruMuslima)
    Hi, I am thinking about taking Maths biology and chemistry and then unsure about the 4th. I don't really know what to take in Uni, children nursing or teaching. whatever I choose, will these subjects be okay for children nursing and what should I take as the 4th?Also how many years would the degree for children's nursing be?
    Either Sociology or Psychology might be a good fourth option. All those subjects would be useful for teaching or nursing!

A degree in children's nursing (BSc Hons) takes 3 years to complete

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolly1995)
    Either Sociology or Psychology might be a good fourth option. All those subjects would be useful for teaching or nursing!

A degree in children's nursing (BSc Hons) takes 3 years to complete
    Thanks really helpful And what about a teaching degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TruMuslima)
    Thanks really helpful And what about a teaching degree?
    It depends what type of teaching you want to do - early years, primary, secondary, further or higher education, special needs...

Look here at different types of teacher/lecturer and what you need for them:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...dtraining.aspx

Then do your research on uni courses

ReputationRep:
    I want to become a nurse and I'm studying; Applied Science, Health and Social (Diploma) and Sociology. I got told all of these would help and I can see them really helping!

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.