Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why does the university system actively discriminate against Watch

ReputationRep:
    people with high functioning autism?

Often these people are much smarter than their peers academically but lack the skills to move out of home at a young age. no one is helping them because nobody cares about them, least of all the universities themselves.

Why do the universities not do more to help these academically gifted people who don't have what it takes to jump through all the bull**** hoops that have nothing to do with learning and everything to do with enforcing social control?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have autism, but most universities only care about average people with great social skills.

ReputationRep:
    Eh?

Are you actually going to substantiate that claim or do you expect people to automatically accept it?

What have universities done to 'actively discriminate' against autistic people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Eh?

Are you actually going to substantiate that claim or do you expect people to automatically accept it?

What have universities done to 'actively discriminate' against autistic people?
    They set up a system based mostly on how good your social skills are. Then refused to accept that people with HFA are disadvantaged by this system, refuse to offer them any help, and ultimately, refuse them access to HE at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universityisobso)
    They set up a system based mostly on how good your social skills are. Then refused to accept that people with HFA are disadvantaged by this system, refuse to offer them any help, and ultimately, refuse them access to HE at all.
    How on earth is the university system based mostly on how good your social skills are?

ReputationRep:
    The percentage of autistic people in university is, what, a tenth of what it is in the general population? maybe less.

ReputationRep:
    The percentage of autistic people in university is, what, a tenth of what it is in the general population? maybe less.
    That doesn't answer my question.

How on earth is the university system based mostly on how good your social skills are?

ReputationRep:
    How is it not discriminatory that they're not allowed into university? If the university had one black person for every 100 black people in the local area, there would be outcry. Not so with the autistic. Please explain the glaring discrimination and what you think causes it, if not an arcane system based on social manipulation?

ReputationRep:
    How is it not discriminatory that they're not allowed into university?
    I don't think you understood what 'substantiate' means. Repeating your assertion with a different word order is not it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think winning an argument means what you think it means.

you think you can just repeat the word substantiate again and again and people will start to think you're some kind of scientist. Are you a scientist? Or are you just wasting my time?

ReputationRep:

you think you can just repeat the word substantiate again and again and people will start to think you're some kind of scientist. Are you a scientist? Or are you just wasting my time?
    If you are autistic, unfortunately it seems you aren't one of the smart ones.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell does a uni judge you on your social skills. The main priority of most is your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Dude nobody likes autists, it's not just university. If you make it out of university you will find that employers won't like you because you don't have team skills, women won't like you because you don't have social skills so the vast majority of autists end up being the stereotypical basement virgin. Autists should just be terminated at birth for their own good. I wish I was.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=universityisobso;44024301]How is it not discriminatory that they're not allowed into university? QUOTE]

they Are allowed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafan)
    How the hell does a uni judge you on your social skills. The main priority of most is your grades.
    The OP is rambling like a nutter but he does have a tiny point. University does judge you based on your social skills. When I was at university student parties and events were rammed down my throat 24/7. When I decided to stay in my room and study instead of socialize there were actually posters put up bu the student union that implied that I was a loser (They went along the lines of "don't be that loser who stays in his room studying all day, join next weeks student party!" Do you know how that made me feel? I wasn't getting along with the other students so took solace in the work i.e what I was actually there for and was basically told by the university union that I am a sad loser. At university I just got the strong feeling that "making friends was half the course marks" That obviously wasn't true but you really do feel like a crushing failure if you don't make friends at university.

ReputationRep:
    They can't tell how good your social skills are unless you get called to interview and you actually talk to them. How would you tell from a PS that someone is autistic unless they explicitly say so—you can't. As a vast majority of people aren't interviewed, it's grossly unfair to just say that autistic people are discriminated against.

Also, have you thought about how many people with autism apply to uni? Maybe some of them don't feel that they want to go and it isn't a case of them getting discrimated against.

ReputationRep:
    As an autistic student, you will already have had your support needs assessed and have both funding and strategies in place you help you on the academic side of things.If you were clear about your needs in your application, the student/learning support departments should be in touch with you to help with the transition to university, and its likely to have taken your needs into account when considering accommodation etc. as well.

If you can prove that a university has discriminated against you, then you should pursue a complaint against them, as I'm sure you are aware, it is illegal to discriminate against you due to disability.

Has this happened to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    The OP is rambling like a nutter but he does have a tiny point. University does judge you based on your social skills. When I was at university student parties and events were rammed down my throat 24/7. When I decided to stay in my room and study instead of socialize there were actually posters put up bu the student union that implied that I was a loser (They went along the lines of "don't be that loser who stays in his room studying all day, join next weeks student party!" Do you know how that made me feel? I wasn't getting along with the other students so took solace in the work i.e what I was actually there for and was basically told by the university union that I am a sad loser. At university I just got the strong feeling that "making friends was half the course marks" That obviously wasn't true but you really do feel like a crushing failure if you don't make friends at university.
    So because most people at university like to party, that's now somehow part of the selection criteria? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    You haven't presented an argument at all. You have simply said 'Universities discriminate against people with autism' without presenting any evidence that this is true.

you think you can just repeat the word substantiate again and again
    I used the word once. Given that you make up facts in this thread, why should we believe your claim about autism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    So because most people at university like to party, that's now somehow part of the selection criteria? :lol:
    It's part of the university culture and it can feel isolating if you're away from home, but don't want to take part in the typical student things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.