Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey TSR, I got into medical school on Thursday, and I got all reflective about the people I've met over this 2 year journey. Just wanted to write about all the different types of medical applicants I've seen and met over the past couple of years. So here goes!

The 'I did work experience in the third world' girl - I've come across nearly a dozen of these sorts of people, they all tend to be girls from the middle classes who go abroad to India or Kenya and chill with some orphans and whatnot. They upload pictures, surrounded by little Asian or African children, to Facebook with some comment like 'wow, these people do so much with so little. '

The 'I do medicine for the girls' guy - These guys make me laugh a lot! I mean, have they ever been on a ward? The smell isn't exactly enticing and being surrounded by urine, faeces and blood is not worth it.

The 'I berate everyone who couldn't get into medicine behind there back' - I really really don't like these people, they're the sort who think they're part of some super medic master race. Always *****ing about 'omg he's so stupid he's doing pharmacy hahaha, I be so smart.' They're usually close friends with said pharmacist and would never say anything like that to there face.

The 'super duper enthusiastic guy who won't shut up during a biology lesson because he's seen every disease on work experience' applicant - These guys, they know who they are. They literally can't keep quite even for a minute because they've seen and heard of everything from cystic fibrosis to atheromas. They don't let your biology teacher speak and everyone listens politely to said person in class but secretly hate them.

The 'I don't tell anyone about anything' applicant - Come across a couple of these, won't tell me you where they apply, there ukcat or BMAT score, if they've been interviewed or not, all you know is that they applied for medicine. You find out that they're going to medical school on results day.

The 'I'll do medicine abroad' applicant - I have nothing against these people, but they always tend to be significantly below the A level requirements for the UK. They get mummy and daddy to pay for there way through medical school in some eastern European country, most likely the Czech Republic.

The 'my parents are doctors, they hooked up work experience/volunteering for me' applicants - Can't really criticise these people as that would be a case of throwing stones in a glass house. These people tend to get awesome experience and voluntary work and don't have to wait for ages to get in.

The 'medicine is a back up plan' applicant - These people study medicine so they can say to there friends and family 'I went to med school' when in fact they want to do completely different. I knew one guy who applied for medicine and actually wanted to go into game design. No idea why he'd do a vocational degree.

The 'interview was easy' applicant - Tend to be the most academically gifted person you can think of, they go to interview and recite answers they learnt in a book and comment about how easy it was. They then try and hide the fact they got rejected two weeks later.

The 'interview was so hard' applicant - These people always talk about how hard the interview was and how they totally screwed up because they made the tiniest mistake and didn't get a good vibe from the interviewers. The majority of them go on to get offers and then talk about how it was a fluke.

The 'Asian' applicant - Again glass houses, go to medical school otherwise they bring shame to there family, joking!

That's all I could think of so far! Please share the other types of applicants you've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The "pushed in to it by their parents" applicants. I saw a fair few of these at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh and congrats on getting in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamerhi)
    Hey TSR, I got into medical school on Thursday, and I got all reflective about the people I've met over this 2 year journey. Just wanted to write about all the different types of medical applicants I've seen and met over the past couple of years. So here goes!

The 'I did work experience in the third world' girl - I've come across nearly a dozen of these sorts of people, they all tend to be girls from the middle classes who go abroad to India or Kenya and chill with some orphans and whatnot. They upload pictures, surrounded by little Asian or African children, to Facebook with some comment like 'wow, these people do so much with so little. '

The 'I do medicine for the girls' guy - These guys make me laugh a lot! I mean, have they ever been on a ward? The smell isn't exactly enticing and being surrounded by urine, faeces and blood is not worth it.

The 'I berate everyone who couldn't get into medicine behind there back' - I really really don't like these people, they're the sort who think they're part of some super medic master race. Always *****ing about 'omg he's so stupid he's doing pharmacy hahaha, I be so smart.' They're usually close friends with said pharmacist and would never say anything like that to there face.

The 'super duper enthusiastic guy who won't shut up during a biology lesson because he's seen every disease on work experience' applicant - These guys, they know who they are. They literally can't keep quite even for a minute because they've seen and heard of everything from cystic fibrosis to atheromas. They don't let your biology teacher speak and everyone listens politely to said person in class but secretly hate them.

The 'I don't tell anyone about anything' applicant - Come across a couple of these, won't tell me you where they apply, there ukcat or BMAT score, if they've been interviewed or not, all you know is that they applied for medicine. You find out that they're going to medical school on results day.

The 'I'll do medicine abroad' applicant - I have nothing against these people, but they always tend to be significantly below the A level requirements for the UK. They get mummy and daddy to pay for there way through medical school in some eastern European country, most likely the Czech Republic.

The 'my parents are doctors, they hooked up work experience/volunteering for me' applicants - Can't really criticise these people as that would be a case of throwing stones in a glass house. These people tend to get awesome experience and voluntary work and don't have to wait for ages to get in.

The 'medicine is a back up plan' applicant - These people study medicine so they can say to there friends and family 'I went to med school' when in fact they want to do completely different. I knew one guy who applied for medicine and actually wanted to go into game design. No idea why he'd do a vocational degree.

The 'interview was easy' applicant - Tend to be the most academically gifted person you can think of, they go to interview and recite answers they learnt in a book and comment about how easy it was. They then try and hide the fact they got rejected two weeks later.

The 'interview was so hard' applicant - These people always talk about how hard the interview was and how they totally screwed up because they made the tiniest mistake and didn't get a good vibe from the interviewers. The majority of them go on to get offers and then talk about how it was a fluke.

The 'Asian' applicant - Again glass houses, go to medical school otherwise they bring shame to there family, joking!

That's all I could think of so far! Please share the other types of applicants you've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    +rep :lol:

I've met every single one of these students when I was applying for med. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    which one are you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tamil4)
    which one are you?
    Asian, parents are doctors and work experience abroad. Unfortunately don't have pictures with little Asian kids for my Facebook

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.